ArriveCan

5waldos

5 minutes ago, 5waldos said:

This is what I read on another thread: To get into the country, use the address of Canada Place Cruise Terminal, 999 Canada Pl, Vancouver, BC V6C 3E1, Canada

I saw that but if you are randomly selected for testing and test positive, the ship is not going to accept you for quarantine.  The odds are your quarantine plan will not be questioned but it almost sounds like you need a hotel reservation in case the plan is actually reviewed.

10 minutes ago, 5waldos said:

But there are random tests on arrival and as of about 2 weeks ago I was directed to schedule a test on arrival in case I was selected. Or has this now been dropped?

That is suggested.  

54 minutes ago, KirkNC said:

I saw that but if you are randomly selected for testing and test positive, the ship is not going to accept you for quarantine.  The odds are your quarantine plan will not be questioned but it almost sounds like you need a hotel reservation in case the plan is actually reviewed.

This has been my dilemma as well.

This is my take as of now 🙂

In accordance with the agreement for Canada to allow cruise ships back in, the cruise line is responsible for passengers who are ill so if you are ill prior to disembarkation, your cruise line would be stick handling all the arrangements for you. So, for the purposes of ArriveCan reporting, the port address should suffice.

There is a risk is, if you disembark and then are chosen for a random test. From what I understand, as long as you are not symptomatic (which you wouldn't be or you would have reported this to the ship before getting off) you are permitted to go on your way, after testing, to catch your flight or drive home etc....they will contact you with test results if needed.

I don't know if this is helpful or not....I'm digging into ArriveCan tonight as we sail on Saturday.

• Like 2

I’m not sure if this applies just to cruises boarding in Canada or will apply to cruises from the US as well, but it says you will not be randomly selected if your entering Canada as part of an excursion during a cruise.

https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/cruise

If you’re entering Canada to board a cruise ship:

• you’re required to use ArriveCAN prior to boarding your flight or before entering Canada by land and you may be selected to take an arrival test
  • if you’re entering Canada as part of an excursion during the cruise, you won’t be selected for arrival testing
  • Like 1

What a mess! I called the 1-833-283-7403 phone number and spoke with a nice agent and Yes we do have to set up a ArriveCan account and upload our vaccination cards etc. on the ArriveCan AP or on the web site prior to your cruise out of Seattle.

So, if you're just going to a port in Canada during your cruise, what should you put as a place to quarantine?  If you did end up with COVID symptoms, will a hotel accept you?  I'll be on a cruise in September that's stopping in Victoria.  Anyone have any idea what to put for the quarantine location?

-LadyZ

11 hours ago, JJ2sail said:

Fully vaccinated adults are not required to test before arrival in Canada.   The test requirements are for the cruise.    The ArriveCan app is for Canada and requires passport and vaccination information and a location to quarantine should you get sick.  

Wondering about this scenario:  4 fully vaccinated and boosted American adults traveling with 2 fully vaccinated pre-teens. Depart NY transit via Toronto where we have short layover before destination Vancouver (requires ArriveCan where we can possibly be pulled for testing and/or quarrentine in Toronto so must indicate a quarantine address  but doesn't require Covid test). Get through that, then arrive Vancouver with no additional paperwork.  Early next morning, HAL flies is back into US to start Alaska land tour, so assume we need negative Covid to renter US less than 24 hours after we left NY. Therefore, we will all need tests before we leave home anyway??  La di da for 10 days while in Alaska,, then HAL provides testing pre boarding in Anchorage or Haines Alaska.   7 days sailing before disembark Vancouver requiring ArriveCan, again. Stay 24 hours in Vancouver before flying back to NY, so need another negative Covid to get back home. Cruise line will provide test before disembark, but staying one overnight in Canada, (because airlines have severely cut back flights leaving us no choice but to stay over) might exceed 24 hour requirement as it is so hour specific. So must bring correct monitored tests with us or waste time in Vancouver to find test site.  It's exhausting to ponder but hope it gets easier in a few weeks when all the permutations and combinations have been done.  We're so anxious to get traveling, like everyone else, but the logistics can, sometimes, dull the excitement.

14 hours ago, JJ2sail said:

Fully vaccinated adults are not required to test before arrival in Canada.   The test requirements are for the cruise.    

From everything I have seen, ALL travelers age 5 and over will only need to be tested prior to boarding a cruise ship that enters Canada. The April 1 update eliminating the testing requirement applies to every arrival (land, air, water) EXCEPT for cruise ships.The cruise regulations have been updated at least once since April 1, so they are not behind.  Most cruise lines are using these rules for anyone boarding a ship in the US that visits Canada and have notified passengers.

Getting an embarkation test before you board a ship that will dock in Canada

All travellers 5 years of age or older must have a COVID-19 test to board a cruise ship in Canada or board a cruise ship that will dock in Canada at any point on the cruise. You must provide proof of one of the following accepted types of test results: 

1. Proof of a professionally administered or observed negative antigen test taken no more than 2 days before you’re scheduled to board your ship
    • the 2-day window does not depend on the time of day the test was taken or the time that you board
    • for example, if your ship is scheduled to leave on Friday, you could provide proof of a negative result from an antigen test taken any time on Wednesday, Thursday, or on Friday
    • it must be administered or observed by a pharmacy, laboratory, healthcare entity or telehealth online service
    • the test must be authorized for sale or distribution in Canada or in the jurisdiction in which it was obtained
  2. Proof of a valid negative molecular test taken within 72 hours of your scheduled boarding time 
    • for example, if you’re scheduled to board at 11:00 am on Friday, your test must have been taken any time after 10:59 am on Tuesday

• Like 1

I am flying into Canada the day before we board. I will complete the ArriveCan on Wednesday, test on Wednesday, arrive in Canada on Thursday (with a hopefully not used appointment should I be randomly chosen) and sail on Friday. Since I will already know what my CoVid status is (neg or stay home) before I leave the states, unless I suddenly develop symptoms (or suddenly turn pos in a random test) I should be good to sail. And should be good listing Canada Place for my quarantine site. We end in Alaska and fly non-stop home so shouldn't need another test. 

Anyone see any faults in my plan? Have I missed something or gotten timing wrong? 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Sebbiesgrammy said:

Wondering about this scenario:  4 fully vaccinated and boosted American adults traveling with 2 fully vaccinated pre-teens. Depart NY transit via Toronto where we have short layover before destination Vancouver (requires ArriveCan where we can possibly be pulled for testing and/or quarrentine in Toronto so must indicate a quarantine address  but doesn't require Covid test). Get through that, then arrive Vancouver with no additional paperwork.  Early next morning, HAL flies is back into US to start Alaska land tour, so assume we need negative Covid to renter US less than 24 hours after we left NY. Therefore, we will all need tests before we leave home anyway??  La di da for 10 days while in Alaska,, then HAL provides testing pre boarding in Anchorage or Haines Alaska.   7 days sailing before disembark Vancouver requiring ArriveCan, again. Stay 24 hours in Vancouver before flying back to NY, so need another negative Covid to get back home. Cruise line will provide test before disembark, but staying one overnight in Canada, (because airlines have severely cut back flights leaving us no choice but to stay over) might exceed 24 hour requirement as it is so hour specific. So must bring correct monitored tests with us or waste time in Vancouver to find test site.  It's exhausting to ponder but hope it gets easier in a few weeks when all the permutations and combinations have been done.  We're so anxious to get traveling, like everyone else, but the logistics can, sometimes, dull the excitement.

I don't think you need to worry about the short layover in Toronto.  You won't be leaving the airport.

If you do a test before you leave home in NY it should still be good for arrival 24 hours later back in the US.   Since you are on a cruise tour HAL should be covering your preboard and disembark tests.

Am I missing something?   Just wondering why they are routing you through Toronto and Vancouver on your flights?   Is there not any flights with connections in Seattle?

I think you need to do ArriveCan for the final destination of Vancouver on your first flight and then for disembark in Vancouver after your cruise?    

Edited by JJ2sail

4 hours ago, JT1962 said:

From everything I have seen, ALL travelers age 5 and over will only need to be tested prior to boarding a cruise ship that enters Canada. The April 1 update eliminating the testing requirement applies to every arrival (land, air, water) EXCEPT for cruise ships.The cruise regulations have been updated at least once since April 1, so they are not behind.  Most cruise lines are using these rules for anyone boarding a ship in the US that visits Canada and have notified passengers.

Getting an embarkation test before you board a ship that will dock in Canada

All travellers 5 years of age or older must have a COVID-19 test to board a cruise ship in Canada or board a cruise ship that will dock in Canada at any point on the cruise. You must provide proof of one of the following accepted types of test results: 

1. Proof of a professionally administered or observed negative antigen test taken no more than 2 days before you’re scheduled to board your ship
    • the 2-day window does not depend on the time of day the test was taken or the time that you board
    • for example, if your ship is scheduled to leave on Friday, you could provide proof of a negative result from an antigen test taken any time on Wednesday, Thursday, or on Friday
    • it must be administered or observed by a pharmacy, laboratory, healthcare entity or telehealth online service
    • the test must be authorized for sale or distribution in Canada or in the jurisdiction in which it was obtained
  2. Proof of a valid negative molecular test taken within 72 hours of your scheduled boarding time 
    • for example, if you’re scheduled to board at 11:00 am on Friday, your test must have been taken any time after 10:59 am on Tuesday

Yes that's what I was saying, you need test for the cruise.   But not for flying into Canada if you are fully vaccinated.  Details can be confusing.

19 hours ago, 5waldos said:

But there are random tests on arrival and as of about 2 weeks ago I was directed to schedule a test on arrival in case I was selected. Or has this now been dropped?

No mention of random tests or scheduling them on the ArriveCan App.  It does request a designated place to quarantine.   In my case I put the cruise ship and Canada Place Vancouver address.  Since I am on a Round trip San Francisco sailing.    If your cruise begins or ends in Vancouver, you could put a hotel probably?   The cruise lines are supposed to assist with that.

1 hour ago, JJ2sail said:

No mention of random tests or scheduling them on the ArriveCan App.  It does request a designated place to quarantine.   In my case I put the cruise ship and Canada Place Vancouver address.  Since I am on a Round trip San Francisco sailing.    If your cruise begins or ends in Vancouver, you could put a hotel probably?   The cruise lines are supposed to assist with that.

Then there have been updates since I started to complete the forms- the random tests were on it then with a link to schedule. And I had wondered about putting in the hotel- that might be even a better choice. 

15 minutes ago, 5waldos said:

Then there have been updates since I started to complete the forms- the random tests were on it then with a link to schedule. And I had wondered about putting in the hotel- that might be even a better choice. 

I don’t think it’s required to schedule a random test just recommended.  I went to that link to schedule and it’s a mess, don’t think I will. Does anyone know how many they are going to randomly test? 

1 minute ago, dave34 said:

I don’t think it’s required to schedule a random test just recommended.  I went to that link to schedule and it’s a mess, don’t think I will. Does anyone know how many they are going to randomly test? 

Thank you. I thought it was me- perhaps I won’t either. 

3 hours ago, JJ2sail said:

I don't think you need to worry about the short layover in Toronto.  You won't be leaving the airport.

If you do a test before you leave home in NY it should still be good for arrival 24 hours later back in the US.   Since you are on a cruise tour HAL should be covering your preboard and disembark tests.

Am I missing something?   Just wondering why they are routing you through Toronto and Vancouver on your flights?   Is there not any flights with connections in Seattle?

I think you need to do ArriveCan for the final destination of Vancouver on your first flight and then for disembark in Vancouver after your cruise?    

Hi and thanks for responding.  All land first cruise tours Holland America offers on the Nieuw Amsterdam start in Vancouver with hotel stay at the airport and then ours flys to Whitehorse early next morning.  HAL does cover pre and post cruise tests but not for land, at least not so far. Currently, US requirement is "no more than one day before you travel by air into the United States". The further explanation is that " one day" could mean any time the day before travel which, for us, is a day spent in the air. As of today, our only option is supervised test on line, rush test at LGA morning we leave NY or testing in Vancouver airport the night before we fly to Whitehorse.  We might be ok with HAL test at Vancouver ship terminal day before flying home at the end of our cruise.

Seattle flights were much more expensive, fewer from NY and we would still have to get to Vancouver to begin land portion.  We tried every angle. Flights have changed 4 times since booking.  It's going to be an adventure so we're waiting to hear about experience from those who travel before us.  

15 minutes ago, Sebbiesgrammy said:

HAL does cover pre and post cruise tests but not for land, at least not so far. Currently, US requirement is "no more than one day before you travel by air into the United States". The further explanation is that " one day" could mean any time the day before travel which, for us, is a day spent in the air. As of today, our only option is supervised test on line, rush test at LGA morning we leave NY or testing in Vancouver airport the night before we fly to Whitehorse.  We might be ok with HAL test at Vancouver ship terminal day before flying home at the end of our cruise.

Seattle flights were much more expensive, fewer from NY and we would still have to get to Vancouver to begin land portion.  We tried every angle. Flights have changed 4 times since booking.  It's going to be an adventure so we're waiting to hear about experience from those who travel before us.  

Do the following quotes from the HAL website answer any of your concerns:    "ALASKA CRUISETOURS
Land first Cruisetours: Guests will be administered a complimentary rapid antigen test before the cruise portion of their package."

"Pre-Disembarkation Test
If a negative antigen COVID-19 test is required for re-entry
into your home country, Holland America Line will cover the
costs of a COVID-19 test which will be conducted on board
prior to disembarkation."

28 minutes ago, Sebbiesgrammy said:

Hi and thanks for responding.  All land first cruise tours Holland America offers on the Nieuw Amsterdam start in Vancouver with hotel stay at the airport and then ours flys to Whitehorse early next morning.  HAL does cover pre and post cruise tests but not for land, at least not so far. Currently, US requirement is "no more than one day before you travel by air into the United States". The further explanation is that " one day" could mean any time the day before travel which, for us, is a day spent in the air. As of today, our only option is supervised test on line, rush test at LGA morning we leave NY or testing in Vancouver airport the night before we fly to Whitehorse.  We might be ok with HAL test at Vancouver ship terminal day before flying home at the end of our cruise.

We are doing the land first itinerary you describe.  I am confused, we don’t need a Covid test to go to Whitehorse.  Are you trying to get a test for our re-entry into the US after Whitehorse?  I had not thought about that but have to believe HAL would have to administer that test if necessary.

9 minutes ago, Crew News said:

Do the following quotes from the HAL website answer any of your concerns:    "ALASKA CRUISETOURS
Land first Cruisetours: Guests will be administered a complimentary rapid antigen test before the cruise portion of their package."

"Pre-Disembarkation Test
If a negative antigen COVID-19 test is required for re-entry
into your home country, Holland America Line will cover the
costs of a COVID-19 test which will be conducted on board
prior to disembarkation."

I wonder if the first test is for US re-entry.

5 minutes ago, KirkNC said:

We are doing the land first itinerary you describe.  I am confused, we don’t need a Covid test to go to Whitehorse.  Are you trying to get a test for our re-entry into the US after Whitehorse?  I had not thought about that but have to believe HAL would have to administer that test if necessary.

Reread my itinerary and you are absolutely correct!! Thank you.  We fly to Whitehorse, then Dawson and, eventually, into Alaska where I assume HAL will get us tested.  Documentation only talks about pre cruise test not arrival in Alaska by air or land.  Looks like I tried to make it harder than necessary.  Now, if we can all avoid getting Covid -- it's getting rough here in the Northeast with rising cases but few hospitalizations.  

1 minute ago, Sebbiesgrammy said:

Reread my itinerary and you are absolutely correct!! Thank you.  We fly to Whitehorse, then Dawson and, eventually, into Alaska where I assume HAL will get us tested.  Documentation only talks about pre cruise test not arrival in Alaska by air or land.  Looks like I tried to make it harder than necessary.  Now, if we can all avoid getting Covid -- it's getting rough here in the Northeast with rising cases but few hospitalizations.  

What date is your cruise?

12 minutes ago, KirkNC said:

I wonder if the first test is for US re-entry.

I think the test quoted refers to the pre boarding cruise test requirement, not the reentry from Canada land portion to Alaska land portion but HAL had us for 10 days on land before we board the ship so I m going to assume they have provisions to test us before we fly to Fairbanks or Denali.

2 minutes ago, Sebbiesgrammy said:

I think the test quoted refers to the pre boarding cruise test requirement, not the reentry from Canada land portion to Alaska land portion but HAL had us for 10 days on land before we board the ship so I m going to assume they have provisions to test us before we fly to Fairbanks or Denali.

One can only hope!