Tea making facility silver Moon

first time cruising

This will be our first silversea cruise. We will be in a silver suite and I notice there is a coffee machine in the suite. Also realise that we could have cup of tea delivered in the morning so the question is could the coffee machine be swapped for a kettle and tea bags or better still keep the coffee maker and have a kettle. Many thanks in advance.

When we sailed the Wind on our last cruise and our friends asked for a kettle so they could make their own tea in the morning and it was not problem.  I have bought a travel kettle that calapses and is easy to pack and has international voltage.  I have given it a try and it works beautifully so I will be taking that.  I don't drink coffee so this is something that is important to me.  I purchased the kettle from Amazon and it takes up very little space in my suitecase.

I don’t want to be a “Debbie Downer” …..and I have not yet sailed Silversea (May 2022), but in my experience most cruise lines do not permit passengers to bring their own small appliances such as irons and kettles on board.  It is a safety compliance issue.  You may wish  to check with Silversea or the travel kettle MAY be confiscated as it would be with other lines.

I understand the importance of an electric kettle because it is difficult to find a good cup of tea.  However, I have resigned myself to drinking coffee while traveling which I rarely drink at home.

We were in a Silver  Suite for the World Cruise 2020.  I only drink tea so asked for a kettle, amazingly for Silversea the answer was no.  On the other hand we wanted to replace the two chairs around the coffee table for a sofa and within ten minutes we had two matching sofas.  There's obviously a good reason for the lack of kettles but I’m not sure I agree with them, after all we are all grown ups and can handle a kettle safely.

MM

I have a small travel clothes steamer that I got at a Bed, Bath & Beyond over 10 years ago that co-incidentally holds about enough water for one cup of tea. (the lid that steams the clothes is removeable.)  It's been on 15-20 cruises & no one has ever questioned it.  I just dry it out after using & put it back in the drawer.  

6 hours ago, nowornever said:

I have a small travel clothes steamer that I got at a Bed, Bath & Beyond over 10 years ago that co-incidentally holds about enough water for one cup of tea. (the lid that steams the clothes is removeable.)  It's been on 15-20 cruises & no one has ever questioned it.  I just dry it out after using & put it back in the drawer.  

Silversea Butlers are trained to be discreet and would consider it to be bad form to question a guests misuse of a clothes steamer. However, if they spotted you reusing a tea bag that might be a different matter.

• Haha 1

cancun01, not a Debbie Downer.  I had not thought about the saftey concerns of SS.  I will have my travel agent ask about the kettle in the room.  My kettle is so small that I could easily pack it up every morning and have my tea hot.  Room service tea is never very good.  The hot water in the thermos is never very hot.  I really enjoy the tea they deliver at dinner in a teapot so perhaps is worse comes to worse I will ask room service to deliver me a tea pot full of hot water and add my own tea bags.

19 hours ago, clarky said:

cancun01, not a Debbie Downer.  I had not thought about the saftey concerns of SS.  I will have my travel agent ask about the kettle in the room.  My kettle is so small that I could easily pack it up every morning and have my tea hot.  Room service tea is never very good.  The hot water in the thermos is never very hot.  I really enjoy the tea they deliver at dinner in a teapot so perhaps is worse comes to worse I will ask room service to deliver me a tea pot full of hot water and add my own tea bags.

I didn’t mean to alarm you…as long as you stay with with your travel kettle when plugged in I am sure you will be fine.  I was disembarking a ship a few years ago and there was a huge table that had all the electric small appliances that had been confiscated at embarkation and were waiting for passengers to collect as they got off…mostly irons so I always think of that scenario when anyone mentions small appliances.    I truly appreciate that it is hard to find a good cuppa outside of the home…the water is never hot enough and then a teabag is dipped into the lukewarm water….that is why I nearly always order coffee.   Whatever you decide….don’t forget to pack your own teabags….