Just off Symphony. Quick review - any Q's?

1 hour ago, rad798 said:

Quest is the adult late night scavenger hunt in Studio B (ice rink).

Not a big deal for us but we may have some first time Royal cruisers going with us in October. Hoping they will get to experience all Oasis Class ships have to offer.

Hopefully things will be better by then but not holding my breath.

I certainly don't remember it being advertised sorry!

23 minutes ago, tropical83 said:

Thanks for posting! I’m sailing Symphony on May 7th. I was really hoping for the Solarium bistro to be open. 

Do you know if they had the silent party or not?

They had a hush party yep 👍 I didn't go to it but it was on

12 minutes ago, jerseyjjs said:

Were the buffets closed for dinner?  With a line like that, it seems the MDR was the only complimentary venue to eat.

Windjammer was opened but I think it was mainly due to only one floor being for my time dining. Level 3 was only for standard sitting and level 5 wasn't opened.

Some nights we had booked for 7:30pm for example and the queue for reserved dining was huge, the queue for unreserved was small and we just went in the unreserved and was alot quicker.

It's definitely not working perfectly but it did get better as the week went on.

How were the temps of the pools and hot tubs? My last sailing everything was too cold to go in! Also I have been reading that there weren't any pools or hot tubs open late at night. Did you notice this as well?

Did you see any of the bands/live music? You talked about jazz on 4 but was there anything else you saw that you liked?

4 minutes ago, Londyana said:

How were the temps of the pools and hot tubs? My last sailing everything was too cold to go in! Also I have been reading that there weren't any pools or hot tubs open late at night. Did you notice this as well?

Did you see any of the bands/live music? You talked about jazz on 4 but was there anything else you saw that you liked?

Pools definitely closed early... Although they said solarium was opened until midnight they just meant the space was opened til midnight, bar closed and pools closed.

The hot tubs were HOT...very hot. The pools were ok, they were on the cold side but not freezing.

There was a band in the promenade who were excellent (high C's or something like that?) but a little annoying they weren't playing in actual venues.

Apart from a latin band in boleros, a guitarist in the pub and a Caribbean band on deck and a pianist I don't think there were any others...other times it was down as "pre recorded band".

16501266794088534156479424452549.jpg

Just now, amurray88 said:

Pools definitely closed early... Although they said solarium was opened until midnight they just meant the space was opened til midnight, bar closed and pools closed.

The hot tubs were HOT...very hot. The pools were ok, they were on the cold side but not freezing.

There was a band in the promenade who were excellent (high C's or something like that?) but a little annoying they weren't playing in actual venues.

Apart from a latin band in boleros, a guitarist in the pub and a Caribbean band on deck and a pianist I don't think there were any others...other times it was down as "pre recorded band".

16501266794088534156479424452549.jpg

That was a sea day

I've been desperately waiting for an extra hot, hot tub lol! Weird that they are closing them so early. I guess no night swimming for us. 

I definitely see how closing eveything early would force everyone into a few venues. Shame to have such a big ship only partially open. I can only imagine they are having staffing shortages.

A couple weeks ago someone was commenting on a rock band in Dazzles at night but I wasn't sure what they were talking about. Centerpiece doesn't sound like rock, though.

I'm more excited about the shows like Hiro and Flight anyways and it sounds like you enjoyed them! Thanks for your review and quick response!

1 minute ago, Londyana said:

I've been desperately waiting for an extra hot, hot tub lol! Weird that they are closing them so early. I guess no night swimming for us. 

I definitely see how closing eveything early would force everyone into a few venues. Shame to have such a big ship only partially open. I can only imagine they are having staffing shortages.

A couple weeks ago someone was commenting on a rock band in Dazzles at night but I wasn't sure what they were talking about. Centerpiece doesn't sound like rock, though.

I'm more excited about the shows like Hiro and Flight anyways and it sounds like you enjoyed them! Thanks for your review and quick response!

I feel I'm painting a bad picture....it was brilliant and Hiro and Flight were honestly brilliant. Book Hiro for 1st night of the ship,that's the most likely to get cancelled so it gives you time to move it to another night if you need to. Book it for night 7 and it's cancelled you'll not get to see it.

The ice skating shows were top notch too. Sit in the centre rather than the side. And go early. We arrived 30mins early to each show and got fairly good seats but were certainly not first there

No no not a bad picture. I am expecting some of this already. Honestly I just want a hot tub and a cocktail and I'm good! All the rest I can live with or without. Everything else will just be pluses. I was supposed to be on this cruise jan 8th but it got canceled by RCCL so I'm just happy to finally be going.

That's the part I'm most nervous about! I feel like I am going to be a mad woman on the app trying to book everything! Definitely want to book shows first. Glad to hear you were able to get on early. I accidently forgot to do check in when I woke up morning of. I still got noon check in but want to show up at 11 and hope for the best. I'm sure noon will be early enough but I just get anxious about these things.

Good tip for middle of ice show. We were forced to sit in the center on Navigator and it was awesome! We sat in the front and it was amazing to be so close! Good to know 30 mins early if not earlier! I am picky about where I sit.

7 hours ago, rad798 said:

We always enjoyed the free breakfast at Johnny Rockets on Oasis class ships. With those hours, I guess they are still not doing breakfast on Symphony.

I heard Harmony was open 1 hour for breakfast each day this past week.

Seems like each ship is different.  We were on the Symphony in Nov and disappointed in no Johnny Rockets for breakfast but my brother was in the oasis in November and it was open for breakfast.   My thought is because of lower capacity each ship decides how to spread out their limited personnel. 

On the app the hours for Johnny Rockets are showing "snack" only for the next few sailings but May 7th sailing is showing breakfast hours. Of course, this could mean nothing at all. But since I'm on the May 7th sailing, I'm going to hope that means it will be open for breakfast!

• 2 weeks later...

Just wondering if you have any info on how early people can be off the boat when it docks at the end of the cruise. Our flights were just moved to 11:19AM from MIA, which I know if close to the cruise port. I wonder how long it takes to accommodate 6000+ people who want to get off ASAP. TIA

8 minutes ago, Babyjax12 said:

Just wondering if you have any info on how early people can be off the boat when it docks at the end of the cruise.

First off about 30-45 min after scheduled arrival.

43 minutes ago, Babyjax12 said:

Just wondering if you have any info on how early people can be off the boat when it docks at the end of the cruise. Our flights were just moved to 11:19AM from MIA, which I know if close to the cruise port. I wonder how long it takes to accommodate 6000+ people who want to get off ASAP. TIA

My flight was 10:50 and we were bored at Miami airport waiting 🤣.

We were probably off by 7am... It's quiet at that time but gets very busy very quickly. We got a shuttle bus to the airport, no hassle. Cost us $10 each.... Could and possibly should have got an Uber/Lyft if we ordered it straight away but as normal, we stood for 5mins and before we knew it it was going to cost $50

• Like 1

Just now, amurray88 said:

My flight was 10:50 and we were bored at Miami airport waiting 🤣.

We were probably off by 7am... It's quiet at that time but gets very busy very quickly. We got a shuttle bus to the airport, no hassle. Cost us $10 each.... Could and possibly should have got an Uber/Lyft if we ordered it straight away but as normal, we stood for 5mins and before we knew it it was going to cost $50

Also, there's definitely not 6,000 people wanting off as soon as possible. Waiting at the door to get off asap you're lucky if there's 100 people.

On 4/16/2022 at 9:30 AM, amurray88 said:

Just got off Symphony of the Seas this morning. Few things that I wondered about beforehand...snapshot review but feel free to ask Qs.

Boarding - our check in time was 11:30-12:00. We arrived early (10am) due to car hire/shuttle timing and couldn't believe we were on the ship by 10:45am. Check in was extremely fast (too fast as you'll see in a min) and before we could blink we were on the ship. No hassle with tests/Covid passports etc.

We got on and realised after an hour or so that we got on so early that they hadn't opened bag drop yet so only us and another few people were on with all our suitcases. Guest services (after a bit of persuasion) took our bags off us.

The ship is amazing. 

Food and Drink -

Food on board was brilliant. We ate every evening (and breakfast) at MDR and although not Michelin star it was much better than expected. Sorrento's pizza was lovely, windjammer was ok...we found it only ok hence why we stuck with MDR for breakfast. Park Cafe and Cafe Promenade both great. Big shout out to the staff too, they were pleasant, welcoming and went over and above. You could tell they were tired but didn't stop them from being excellent. They're not allowed off the ship at all just now apart from at CocaCay to work.

Now the bad... Solarium bistro wasn't opened at all. Jazz on 4 has no bar in it or service so had to go out to get a drink. Solarium bar closed at 5pm each night and Park Cafe had limited hours. Because of this it pushed people into a smaller number of bars/cafes making them busier. One night we went to the Schooner bar at 4:50pm and waited til 5:25 to get our drink (and that was going to the bar to order).

Entertainment -

I wasn't overly pleased beforehand that Hairspray wasn't showing BUT 99% of the other entertainment was incredible. Hiro, Flight, 1977 and I-Skate were absolutely brilliant. The comedy juggler was very very good given it was a comedy juggling show (he was excellent). The comedians weren't funny.... I like my comedy, go often to comedy shows and festivals and although sometimes I don't find comedians funny I can normally see why others do. These guys just weren't....2 guys for 50mins telling us how they're going to get arrested because they're black. Hilarious (sarcasm).

People -

On the whole we found most people polite and pleasant but there's always a few who are rude and obnoxious. Some parents let their kids run wild - including in the solarium which is adult only. Kids were extremely rude to staff at times which I would imagine reflects their parents attitudes too. People are told no flash photography during shows and to be mindful of screen brightness if taking pictures. 2 different women sitting next to me in 2 shows sat and recorded the full show with their screen brightness full and their light on. Thankfully they were next to me and not infront of me as it would have been hugely annoying. 

Any Q's? Sorry not used to writing reviews so not sure what is/is not helpful.

How about activities like Zumba classes, line dancing, live bands with dancing opportunities! Theme parties at night, by pool, Quest?

Many thanks!

3 minutes ago, baelor said:

Were there any dishes that stood out (good or bad) at the MDR or anywhere else you ate?

The apple pie in the MDR was amazing. My wife also really liked one of the beef dishes (can't remember what one but will ask). On the whole the MDR gets 7/10 from me...only let down was the fish and chips which was pretty awful

9 minutes ago, sunny_shores said:

Do you know why Solarium Bistro and the one level of the dining room was closed? Staffing?

Short staffed yeah... The staff tried their best but were stretched. I was in a bar one night and waited (at the bar, not at my table) for 25mins to be served

47 minutes ago, amurray88 said:

The apple pie in the MDR was amazing. My wife also really liked one of the beef dishes (can't remember what one but will ask). On the whole the MDR gets 7/10 from me...only let down was the fish and chips which was pretty awful

Thanks!

One more question:  I have a friend who will want to spend a chunk of each day sitting on a beach chair reading.  Preferably in a not-too-loud area.  Were there any relatively quiet spots on your cruise?  I assume Solarium had that vibe, but was wondering about any areas near pools or on the upper decks.

On 5/2/2022 at 6:21 PM, baelor said:

Thanks!

One more question:  I have a friend who will want to spend a chunk of each day sitting on a beach chair reading.  Preferably in a not-too-loud area.  Were there any relatively quiet spots on your cruise?  I assume Solarium had that vibe, but was wondering about any areas near pools or on the upper decks.

I'd definitely do solarium... The other areas are really too busy to relax in my opinion. 👍