equinox and covid

Bstein493

3 minutes ago, cbfb said:

I’m sure I’ll get blasted or this but my feeling is if they are going to test for Covid before you board, which I am fine with, then they should have a plan if you test positive. 

My feeling is similar. If the risk to Celebrity cruising is still severe enough to require a 1 day pre cruise test (Italy), then the Covid assistance plan needs extension for passenger protection.

• Like 4

I have Cruise Care and additional medical insurance since Covid assist was dropped by Celebrity. Cruise Care has an additional 90% cancel for any reason not covered by the standard policy. See below...

The following Cruise Vacation Cancellation Enhancement is provided by Celebrity Cruises and is not an insurance benefit. “Any Reason” Cruise Credits...............................equal to 90% of the non-refundable pre-paid Cruise Vacation Cost

In the event that you choose to cancel for a reason not authorized above or for a reason that is otherwise restricted, at any time up until departure, and you have purchased the CruiseCare, Celebrity Cruises will provide you a cruise credit equal to 90% of the non-refundable value (excluding Flights by CelebritySM, previously known as ChoiceAir) of your Cruise Vacation prepaid to Celebrity, for your use toward a future cruise. This additional enhancement is offered by Celebrity Cruises as a special service to guests that purchase this cruise ticket Cancellation Penalty Waiver Addendum. Certain restrictions on the use of these cruise credits (such as blackout periods) may apply. Credits are valid for one year from issue date, are not transferable, and have no cash value. To be eligible for the credits: 1. The travel protection plan must be purchased prior to having made final payment for the cruise; and 2. Notification of cancellation must be given to Celebrity Cruises prior to the ship's departure. Once you’ve cancelled with Celebrity, please contact the CruiseCare Help Line at 1-800-797-4516 or 1- 516-342-7262 regarding cruise credits. Please note that Flights by CelebritySM, previously known as ChoiceAir components are not subject to this cruise credit feature.

3 minutes ago, Babr said:

It is expensive for the cruise line to pay for all expenses of quarantine. Apparently, the time has come that they and other paying passengers can’t continue to underwrite people who test positive without impacting the cruising experience for everyone.

The airlines will issue a credit for unused airfare, but it won’t do you much good if you don’t plan to travel again. Some credit card coverage will reimburse expired tickets if purchased with their card.

I wonder how much Celebrity has actually paid out on these Covid costs? I’m sure it’s impossible to find out. Is it too much paid out to date or just time to increase profits again at passenger expense. I just gotten full coverage Covid insurance quotes; $1300-$3000. Sorry, on top of cruise/airfare I will almost certainly cancel with Covid protection extension. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Virginia100 said:

I totally agree. If we are still in the pandemic and cases still present everywhere why is the Covid 19 protection coming to an end April 30? The risk is still there, why should I assume a 100% risk now? My 8/8 cruise on the Beyond with airfare is $10k. Am I to roll the dice? Does Celebrity still expect my FP in three weeks if not extended? 

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2845342-covid-19-assistance-program/page/3/#comment-63034839

Hi, Virginia, I started the above thread a few days ago, specifically about the dropping of the covid assistance program - it's dropped down a few pages on the topic list.  My point, and yes, many inexplicably seem to think it's just fine, is that Celebrity seems to be the ONLY cruise line which has NOT extended the covid assistance program - I attempted some exhaustive research, but did get a bit exhausted, LOL.  Critically, Royal, the parent company, should be the guide - it is gradually rolling back points in the assistance program, but is keeping the refund of the cruise fare.  If testing is mandatory, and we as passengers do what we are told, then we should get a refund if we test positive - not be punished for what we are supposed to do.  It's just that simple.  This is not about insurance, despite what the insurance sales folks on the CC boards are advocating.  It's about Celebrity not doing the right thing by their customer base.

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, Babr said:

It is expensive for the cruise line to pay for all expenses of quarantine. Apparently, the time has come that they and other paying passengers can’t continue to underwrite people who test positive without impacting the cruising experience for everyone.

The airlines will issue a credit for unused airfare, but it won’t do you much good if you don’t plan to travel again. Some credit card coverage will reimburse expired tickets if purchased with their card.

I disagree. If we don’t cruise the cruise lines go out of business. It’s in their best interest to, like the airlines, offer FCC if you test positive pre cruise. Many don’t agree but that is my opinion. I have cruised twice since the restart and have 4 more booked, all with celebrity. I expect the same loyalty from them. 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, deliver42 said:

Whatever the numbers are on a ship the percentage is still much lower that on land. I'll take my chances on a ship anytime. Been on 2 cruises since restart, and have 4 more booked.

Agreed. We've been on 3 with 2 planned. Cruise ships are still way safer than doing the same activities on land for sure. 

18 minutes ago, cbfb said:

I disagree. If we don’t cruise the cruise lines go out of business. It’s in their best interest to, like the airlines, offer FCC if you test positive pre cruise. Many don’t agree but that is my opinion. I have cruised twice since the restart and have 4 more booked, all with celebrity. I expect the same loyalty from them. 

A program that allows a refund or FCC for a last minute positive test is reasonable. I just don’t think it is sustainable for any cruise line to continue to pay for lodging, meals, and transportation in addition a refund. That is a losing proposition for them.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Babr said:

A program that allows a refund or FCC for a last minute positive test is reasonable. I just don’t think it is sustainable for any cruise line to continue to pay for lodging, meals, and transportation in addition a refund. That is a losing proposition for them.

I agree with you on that. 

• Like 1

We were on this Equinox cruise that ended Friday. We are both fully vaxed and boosted. On the flight home on Saturday I started feeling uncomfortable with chills and muscle aches. On Sunday I tested positive. My symptoms were mild and now Monday I feel almost back to normal. My wife has no symptoms. We are both in our 70's and considered high risk but healthy otherwise. We did not have any close contact on the ship which could be considered risky.

We have another Celebrity cruise booked for May and I have no fears about doing it again. Just happy to get back to cruising after 2+ years of cancelling and rescheduling and rescheduling.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, BillHana said:

We were on this Equinox cruise that ended Friday. We are both fully vaxed and boosted. On the flight home on Saturday I started feeling uncomfortable with chills and muscle aches. On Sunday I tested positive. My symptoms were mild and now Monday I feel almost back to normal. My wife has no symptoms. We are both in our 70's and considered high risk but healthy otherwise. We did not have any close contact on the ship which could be considered risky.

We have another Celebrity cruise booked for May and I have no fears about doing it again. Just happy to get back to cruising after 2+ years of cancelling and rescheduling and rescheduling.

That’s great, very glad you are feeling okay. I totally agree with you as I think most here do. 

3 hours ago, Cruise a holic said:

If people in elevator, my mask will go on.

Just understand that the aerosols from everyone previously on that empty elevator will linger for quite some time.  Your concern argues for employing  a 100% elevator mask policy, not just used when the elevator is empty.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, D C said:

Agreed. We've been on 3 with 2 planned. Cruise ships are still way safer than doing the same activities on land for sure. 

Except on land you do NOT suffer quarantine in an OV or worse cabin for possibly many days!  The least/ very least Celebrity  can do is use balcony cabins for quarantine adhering to the CDC’s recommendation! 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, D C said:

We did 3 cruises no issue, our 4th one this month gave us covid. We have 2 more planned this year but plan on wearing our mask more. Being sick stinks.

1 hour ago, Babr said:

Yes, it is expensive for the cruise line but is just annoying that my Cruise line of choice is the one not extending their Covid cover when others have. I think this is the wrong way for Celebrity to stand out from the crowd!!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, laslomas said:

Yes, it is expensive for the cruise line but is just annoying that my Cruise line of choice is the one not extending their Covid cover when others have. I think this is the wrong way for Celebrity to stand out from the crowd!!

I know it feels as if the rug has been pulled out from under you. I can only think that they may have reached the tipping point earlier than others. There were a lot of private jets zipping back and forth for a while.

I fully expect the others to follow, but I could be mistaken as variant cases tick up.

3 minutes ago, Babr said:

I know it feels as if the rug has been pulled out from under you. I can only think that they may have reached the tipping point earlier than others. There were a lot of private jets zipping back and forth for a while.

I fully expect the others to follow, but I could be mistaken as variant cases tick up.

Many of the others have Covid cover in place till next year, so they cannot backtrack now if it was part of the T&C for the booked cruises.

Edited by laslomas

17 hours ago, CruiseMrB said:

It's time to consider wearing masks on your own again.

We recently were on RCCL Independence of the Seas last month and we decided to wear N95's everywhere outside our room except while eating and while sitting separated from others on the outside deck. By observation, well under 10% of the pax were wearing masks, and that percentage decreased as the cruise went on.

We have since received our second booster. We also have an X cruise scheduled for October. Our plan for now is to go on the cruise and use the N95's as on the last cruise.

Things that would change that thinking:

• Removal of testing requirement. Would cancel.
  • Removal of vaccine requirement. Would cancel.
  • State of per 100K infection rate here in Florida. Would have to make decision based upon information available. Limited information, though. Florida reports only once every 2 weeks now.

I agree with the vaccine requirement and I would like them to start requiring boosters.  Based on latest information, most people who got the 2 shots at the beginning have very little protection at this point.  A vax'd person is less likely to transmit Covid than a non-vax'd person.  Just don't know how long after last shot, you're considered not vax'd.  The testing requirement, doesn't give me much of a sense of security.  I had full blown Covid, with symptoms and was still testing negative on antigen tests.  With home testing, trying to find out state's numbers is almost impossible now.  I'd look at waste water, hospitalizations and death (including average age).  

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, laslomas said:

Many of the others have Covid cover in place till next year, so they cannot backtrack now if it was part of the T&C for the booked cruises.

Yes - obligated under those terms, but new bookings are likely to see different ones as cruise lines try to return to profitability. Otherwise, it will eventually show up as a reduced experience that satisfies few.

1 hour ago, BillHana said:

Did you and your wife wear a mask indoors?

47 minutes ago, Julma said:

With home testing, trying to find out state's numbers is almost impossible now.  I'd look at waste water, hospitalizations and death (including average age).  

I live in Florida and have been tracking cases and deaths since April 2020.

Florida changed how they collect and classify COVID deaths. It's done in such a way that basically nobody dies of COVID officially. They are taking the data from the preliminary death reports, which almost always lists the most proximal cause, such as respiratory failure, rather than COVID. 

After a period of time, they may review things 6 weeks to 6 months after the fact. The state might reclassify the deaths and increase the numbers to that older timeframe. This is useless for current trending.

Totally anectdotal example: 47 YO neighbor had what looked like a standard "Widow Maker" heart attack in February of 2022. Actual cause was much more likely COVID-related cardiomyopathy, as he tested positive and was symptomatic 2 weeks prior to death. Autopsy has confirmed the myocarditis. The State of Florida (to my knowledge) won't classify this as a COVID death as the first death report had heart failure or similar as the COD. BTW, fully vaxxed and boosted.

Edited by CruiseMrB
  • Like 2

37 minutes ago, Babr said:

Yes - obligated under those terms, but new bookings are likely to see different ones as cruise lines try to return to profitability. Otherwise, it will eventually show up as a reduced experience that satisfies few.

Royal Caribbean (Celebrity parent company) have Covid cover including full refund if denied boarding due to Covid, and it is valid on all cruises up to 30th April 2023., not just those those already booked. So Celebrity is definitely the poor relation.  

19 minutes ago, laslomas said:

Royal Caribbean (Celebrity parent company) have Covid cover including full refund if denied boarding due to Covid, and it is valid on all cruises up to 30th April 2023., not just those those already booked. So Celebrity is definitely the poor relation.  

I started a separate thread about this a few days ago, though it's dropped down a few pages on the topic thread lists.  https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2845342-covid-19-assistance-program/

Celebrity needs to follow Mom and Dad, as well as a whole lot of her cousins.  Celebrity is absolutely the black sheep of the family the way she is currently standing.

The question I have.. is how sick are the people who are getting Covid at this point in time. I have read that variant B.3 or something like that..is more contagious but less severe... Back in '20 there were horror stories of glass like substance in some patients lungs, videos of people in China falling over unconscious or dead... over time the issues seem to change.. heart related effects and long covid. But I am wondering if we are finally.. slowly.. getting close to a flu like illness. 

We hear numbers of covid cases...but do any require hospitalization or patients being off loaded in a port for treatment? My fear is that this illness will transition to more of a flu and we will still be treating it like the earlier deadlier form of the illness.  I don't know what the answer is... but I just turned 70 and can't hold off living for too long at some point you just have to say  f it, I am going to live my life.  We have been lucky to have avoided Covid..once the last Reflection full sailing before shut down and then in December before Omicron restrictions... I am hoping our cruise at the end of the month will not break that lucky streak.  

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Babr said:

This. I can get insurance that will cover quarantine costs. I’m ok with that. What I cannot get is cancellation/interruption insurance. I have to test one day before embarking in Barcelona at which time I cannot use CWC so if positive will lose it all.