Gear Rental for Expedition Cruise

2beagles mom

My husband and I will be taking our first Silversea cruise to the Arctic in June. Several years ago we went to Antarctica with Ponant and all gear (boots, poles, etc) was provided. Unfortunately, Silversea does not include these items.  Would those of you who have been to the Arctic tell me whether the landings tend to be wet or dry?  I’m trying to decide if we need to rent boots so they can be delivered to the ship. Thank you for your insight. 

You can buy Muck or Bogs boots online when they go on sale for the same or cheaper than the rent cost. If you'll ever use them again, buying them makes sense. They take up a lot of luggage space, but you can compensate for that by stuffing them with socks, thermal clothing, and underwear, and they fit well in a 30" or larger rolling duffel. 

• Like 3

Definitely. Bought two pairs from overstock.com, about $20 each. One pair went to Antarctica and Iceland with me. The other pair is a spare.

I use them in the winter while shoveling the sidewalk, and when getting the newspaper if the driveway is a mess. Well worth it.

• Like 1

I’ve acutely been looking at purchase options. By the time I add the rental fees and the cost of delivery to the ship, it gets kind of pricey. We live in Southern California so muck boots are definitely something we would not use again, but it still might be better to buy them if I can find a good sale. 
Thanks for your suggestions. 

I did Antarctica in November (the Arctic next year). I bought boots on sale and then realized how heavy they were to pack, so I decided to rent them. After reading other posts, I decided I didn't want the weight or the used penguin poop (cleaned or not) in my suitcase. I bought the waterproof pants and hiking poles because they are light weight and easy to pack. The boot rental was the best money I spent. Remember, you will have items to pack coming home that you didn't bring with you, such as a bulky parka and a nice waterproof backpack and water bottle (all 3 were provided "free" for Antarctica). You might look a little strange getting off the plane in Southern CA wearing your Arctic parka😎

• Like 1

I realize now what a great advantage it was to have all the gear provided for us and waiting in our staterooms when we went to Antarctica. We purchased poles and waterproof pants for this trip, which can at least  be used again. I’ll probably end up renting the boots. 

2 Beagles Mom -  I was just discussing this with my TA today! We are on the June 28 sailing - Reykjavik to Tromso. I think we're going to rent boots - I can't see the need for them after the trip. I did buy some new waterproof pants, etc. from REI, and will bring my polartecs and base layers. Just not sure about other clothes - eveningwear (pants, dresses?). We've also been to Antarctica!

Are we on the same trip? I'd love to touch base - curious to hear which excursions you're booking, etc. Can we PM on this site? Thanks, Shari

We’ve also been to Antartica with Ponant so had the free boot rental. When we did the Arctic with SS was very surprised they charge to rent them. Spending $20k pp and they cant provide boot rental seems ridiculous (all other expedition cruises also seem to supply for free). We ended up buying bogs for less than the rental cost, They were very lightweight (the staff were concerned they weren’t waterproof because they seem to be made out of a fabric-but they were!).We are doing the Arctic this year with Ponant and will be taking our own, even though rental is free, because they were so comfortable.

I usually get some type of gel insert with arch support. Too thick and your feet will not fit, too thin and there is no support. Many are geared for plantar fasciitis or tibial tendon issues. I am blessed with both.  Scope out the section at Walgreens or CVS to see what works for you. There are lots of brands but Dr. Sholls dominates.  Or order online from a place that accepts returns, wink wink. I also like Smartwool socks. Reasonably thin and very warm.  Pack a few pairs of different thickness socks. Once you are on board you can play with fit and stability. I never had any trouble and found the boots to be quite comphy and decent for slogging through snow, ice, water, and penguin poo. 

Good morning everyone.
Shari, we are on the 6/14 sailing. There are are no excursions to prebook.
I’ll bring my standard evening outfits-black pants, nice blouses and ballet flats. My husband lugged a jacket to Antarctica and never wore it. Between landings I think I changed into jeans. Base layers were too warm to wear around the ship.
I also packed gloves and separate liners for the zodiac rides and landings. When I removed the gloves to take pictures the liners kept my hands relatively warm, although I get the sense that Antarctica was quite a bit colder than the Arctic will be. 

gogo65- you’re so right!  I guess it’s “all inclusive,” unless it isn’t.

My other issue with spending money to buy boots is that they would never fit me correctly because I have very narrow feet. I took my inserts to Antarctica and wore those boots with two pairs of smartwool socks and silk liners. I left a sticky in my luggage so I would remember to bring the inserts home. 

I see that our cruises are similar, except mine does Iceland as well (a trip we had booked separately, that was cancelled with Ponant due to Covid). 

I'm still a little confused if I should bring hiking boots for the Iceland part, because it will be rocky, and I don't think those waterproof boots are very supportive, even with inserts. Still, if there are "wet" landings, my hiking boots won't be useful. Any ideas? 

13 minutes ago, Shari F said:

I'm still a little confused if I should bring hiking boots for the Iceland part, because it will be rocky, and I don't think those waterproof boots are very supportive, even with inserts. Still, if there are "wet" landings, my hiking boots won't be useful. Any ideas? 

Yes.

You need the boots for wet landings. No way around this. 

However if you're going ashore in a place with a decent hike and you want your hikers, just carry them ashore in your backpack and change your shoes once ashore.

Most times the "hikes" ashore weren't enough of a hike to bother changing out of the boots. We did change on occasion when we felt the need, if the hike was going to be more than a slow shuffle.

Bottom line - you can just ask the guides if it's worth bringing your hikers ashore for any particular landing. If so, go for it.

• Like 1

This discussion is interesting and helpful. In September of 2023, my wife and I will be on the Cloud for a Reykjavik-to-Halifax expedition that includes six Zodiac landings in Greenland. One thing I still don't understand is how they deal with 240 guests coming back on the ship with wet and/or muddy boots on. Do they have a way of cleaning and/or drying the boots before everyone heads back to their cabins? If not, I can only imagine what the hallways, stairs, elevators, and cabins must look like after each "Zodiac day."

20 minutes ago, jimdee3636 said:

This discussion is interesting and helpful. In September of 2023, my wife and I will be on the Cloud for a Reykjavik-to-Halifax expedition that includes six Zodiac landings in Greenland. One thing I still don't understand is how they deal with 240 guests coming back on the ship with wet and/or muddy boots on. Do they have a way of cleaning and/or drying the boots before everyone heads back to their cabins? If not, I can only imagine what the hallways, stairs, elevators, and cabins must look like after each "Zodiac day."

Yes.

There is a mudroom on the ship, where you go as soon as you return on board. There is plenty of stuff there to clean your boots. Spray hoses, brushes, etc. Once the boots are cleaned, you leave them in the mudroom, on a rack with your suite number. 

When you disembark for excursions, you wear your slippers or a pair of sneakers down to the mudroom. Put on your clean and dry boots, leave the slippers or sneakers on your shelf, and proceed to the zodiacs.

The staff will direct you in this process. It's reasonably well organized and it works pretty well. Sometimes the mudroom gets crowded but we've always managed.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Shari F said:

what do you wear on your feet when you kayak?

The Expedition Team gives you booties along with the full suit.

In Greenland, I often wore my hiking shoes instead of the boots. The guides bring a barrel where everyone stows life jackets, and you can just leave your boots there as well.

Edited by FauxNom
  • Like 1

On 4/21/2022 at 2:10 PM, jpalbny said:

Yes.

There is a mudroom on the ship, where you go as soon as you return on board. There is plenty of stuff there to clean your boots. Spray hoses, brushes, etc. Once the boots are cleaned, you leave them in the mudroom, on a rack with your suite number. 

When you disembark for excursions, you wear your slippers or a pair of sneakers down to the mudroom. Put on your clean and dry boots, leave the slippers or sneakers on your shelf, and proceed to the zodiacs.

The staff will direct you in this process. It's reasonably well organized and it works pretty well. Sometimes the mudroom gets crowded but we've always managed.

@jpalbny

Thanks! I took a close look at the Cloud deck plan (which I should have done before), and saw the rather large "Changing Room" on the lowest deck, next to the medical center. It looks to be about the size of two "basic" cabins, so---as you say---there should be ample room to put on, take off, and store boots.

Jim

13 minutes ago, cruiseej said:

@jimdee3636 Also remember that you never have all 240 passengers going out or returning at the same time. Landings, zodiac cruises and kayaking outings are staggered by groups, so the changing room isn't as crowded as you might be thinking. 

The only time that area ever really got crowded was when I and the others with no sense of self-preservation lined up for the Polar Plunge, which was handled very quickly and efficiently.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1