Why the rash of Nassau Port Cancellations

Oldsweets

All these Nassau cancellations yet they moved our Mardi Gras sailing from San Juan TO Nassau. We leave in 2 weeks. We can only hope they decide to change it again between now and then. We've never been to Bimini - we'd rather go there!

14 minutes ago, noleguy84 said:

All these Nassau cancellations yet they moved our Mardi Gras sailing from San Juan TO Nassau. We leave in 2 weeks. We can only hope they decide to change it again between now and then. We've never been to Bimini - we'd rather go there!

part of the problem is the size of the Mardi Gras. A ship that big makes your options for alternative ports limited 

its much easier to change ports on a slightly smaller mid size ship 

I wonder why all of the cruises aren’t changing?  We are on Sunshine on May 23rd and it still shows Nassau.  I’ve never been to either so don’t care, but wondered how they pick and choose which itineraries to alter.

On 4/20/2022 at 1:06 PM, jerseygirlinAZ said:

Any chance they'll still be working on the port in early July, lol?  I'd love to go to Bimini as we've already been to Nassau!

I dont think all ships are being diverted. At least so far our Conquest cruise still shows Nassau on our itinerary 

3 hours ago, flcraigs5 said:

I dont think all ships are being diverted. At least so far our Conquest cruise still shows Nassau on our itinerary 

It would make sense if Nassau told the lines they had to cut down to 1 ship a day instead of 2 or 3 that they would evaluate the options for each day.

6 minutes ago, pc_load_letter said:

I saw a video from cruise bloggers that showed them at the new Margaritaville resort in Nassau. I'd check it out. It looked nice and not too expensive for a day pass.

I actually visited there for my visit in March, very nice pool area that overall appears to be nicer than the official cruise beaches.  And just past the British Colonial so no worries about getting back

0D0E9930-56B0-401C-AA3B-77F42159B4C2.jpeg

19822CB5-5AB4-417F-AA57-DF852D569CFB.jpeg

8116F08E-A1F5-480C-BF0B-5DCF1B8DDF3B.jpeg

1B51925A-22C3-4521-95C5-ABDF0ED09784.jpeg

7B6B0B66-1444-4BFF-8927-C905920E8B5D.jpeg

DBCF16BE-E6F9-4290-A1D4-B6EC3B747AC0.jpeg

5C64567B-FF87-4036-BBA4-055F6E14F4D8.jpeg

8BDAD6AF-C9EA-42CA-945D-920B41F67840.jpeg

1D292404-4BF9-4BC0-9670-F0AD328B8A50.jpeg

7B1B8498-E8A7-4DD8-ADBC-CEB9189393D8.jpeg

5F0A088C-5A7B-4CB4-A39E-F370F21AC602.jpeg

1FAAFAE6-F4CD-4992-ACC5-2D00C70EBC13.jpeg

C2AEF016-899E-4FE0-B0AE-51928E989D1C.jpeg

C5D5E820-4613-4710-9A99-749AB3A39BC8.jpeg

AFBC9E0C-8172-4B34-A94B-3378F03E928D.jpeg

74F3CBBF-2377-458C-A93B-AC837863A47F.jpeg

01751410-A92A-4A7A-9D6D-50ED5E652827.jpeg

CCF36D21-2465-4A25-93C2-7423D0D984DF.jpeg

42C76A68-D4AA-4D29-8FEB-515FECAD8E7B.jpeg

10 hours ago, melodyesch said:

I wonder why all of the cruises aren’t changing?  We are on Sunshine on May 23rd and it still shows Nassau.  I’ve never been to either so don’t care, but wondered how they pick and choose which itineraries to alter.

There is only room for 1 ship per day on the tiny island of Bimini.

The pier was built by Virgin Voyages for them 

"Virgin Voyages' private island resort "Bimini Beach Club" (Bahamas)

All Virgin Voyages liners stop at "Bimini Beach Club" (Virgin Group's private resort on North Bimini Island). The exclusive Bahamian island destination allows Virgin's Sailors (passengers) to enjoy world-class entertainment from a rotating cast of DJs led by Mark Ronson." from Virign's site

Celebrity also cut a deal with Virigin to use their pier.

I guess Carnival cut a deal for the remaining days unused, which is why they suddenly chnaged so many iterneraries at once.

But there is only room for one ship a day and Scarlet Lady has first dibs at all times.  So either Scarlet Lady, Celebrity Infinity or another Carnival ship has that day already.

The tram you take in Bimini is Virgin's tram from their resort.

6 hours ago, pc_load_letter said:

I saw a video from cruise bloggers that showed them at the new Margaritaville resort in Nassau. I'd check it out. It looked nice and not too expensive for a day pass.

We also went there and quite enjoyed it.  
Drinks were $$$ for cocktails.  Like $17.50.  But my husband, 7yo and I all really enjoyed the day. 

9 hours ago, 1kaper said:

Drinks were $$$ for cocktails.  Like $17.50.  But my husband, 7yo and I all really enjoyed the day. 

Question about going to the resort... any special requirements?  I was considering this at Atlantis or Margaritaville, but then there was all this info online about needing Covid tests a day before and showing proof of vaccinations etc. prior to being able to go.  I am guessing this is for people flying in, but wanted to ask to make sure form those that may have been there recently

3 hours ago, wemjam said:

Question about going to the resort... any special requirements?  I was considering this at Atlantis or Margaritaville, but then there was all this info online about needing Covid tests a day before and showing proof of vaccinations etc. prior to being able to go.  I am guessing this is for people flying in, but wanted to ask to make sure form those that may have been there recently

nope. 
We weren’t even asked for proof of vaccination. 

Nassau, Freeport, Belize and Jamaica are not good ports.  I refuse to book the KW, Nassau, Freeport cruise from New Orleans. On the other Western Caribbean cruises I usually stay on the ship in Belize and Jamaica.

8 hours ago, ledges1 said:

Nassau, Freeport, Belize and Jamaica are not good ports.  I refuse to book the KW, Nassau, Freeport cruise from New Orleans. On the other Western Caribbean cruises I usually stay on the ship in Belize and Jamaica.

You are missing some great experiences. We saw amazing Mayan ruins in Belize and wildlife on the ride to the ruins in Lamanai. In Jamaica, we took the Bob Marley bus excursion and had a wonderful time.

1 hour ago, ontheweb said:

You are missing some great experiences. We saw amazing Mayan ruins in Belize and wildlife on the ride to the ruins in Lamanai. In Jamaica, we took the Bob Marley bus excursion and had a wonderful time.

You are correct. There are some amazing tours at these ports. I did the Appleton Rum tour in Jamaica and a bus tour of the city in Belize. Both were very enjoyable. I have been approached by people that make me extremely uncomfortable in the straw market in Nassua, clerks in jewelry stores (DI in Nassua) that refuse to give you their  free charm gifts and are  extremely rude, the Montego Bay cruise port encircled with razor wire, in Belize locals hanging over the cruise port wall begging. These situations are not inviting and make you feel threatened. I cruise more for the sea experience than the port experience. Everyone cruises for different reasons.

On 4/27/2022 at 8:16 AM, 1kaper said:

Yeesh that is expensive for drinks. I want to go there but I can't justify it with me, my wife, and two teenage daughters. I think it comes out to $400 for the day without drinks. I have the drink package on the ship and some OBC left over...I think we may just skip the port entirely.