Haven sailing with non-Haven

sbsmutoni

19 hours ago, Newfun4me said:

I ask myself this question a lot as we often treat our young adult kids to vacation with us.  I book them in the same category that we are in.  I know they won't always be able to travel with us and things will eventually start to get in the way - schedules, lack of vacation time, pull from the in-laws, them wanting to do their own thing, kid stuff, etc.  For now and while we can, we splurge.  It's as much for me as for them as I like being around them.  If I was you, I would bite the bullet and upgrade them.  You sound a lot like me and I think the joy you will get out of seeing them enjoying their fancy vacation will make it worth it.  I, personally, would be bummed if I was sitting in the Haven lounge and knew that they couldn't come if they wanted to. 

On the flip side, my mom and her boyfriend are joining us for a cruise to Alaska later this year.  We are Haven and they are not.  They are paying for their own trip and decided to join after we booked.  I know we'll have them join us for dinner in our suite and we will spend time with them on their aft balcony.  They mostly want to do their thing and we want to do ours.  That'll work out just fine.  BUT, I'll help her if she has an option to bid for Haven.  🙂

Thanks for that....travel is MY passion, and part of what I love about travel is introducing people who have not had the privilege of travel to it and seeing them experience places and things for the first time.  My son is actually my "step"....he came into my life ten years ago with his dad.  I introduced his dad, now my husband to travel and he is as passionate about it now as I am.  I just want to give my son that experience.  It sounds like you understand that and feel similarly.  Thanks for the feedback. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, mjkacmom said:

Hmm, since this is a couple, they might like having some time to themselves, but if you paid for the upgrade, might feel obligated to spend more time with you (I’m a parent of 5 young adults 19 - 25, 3 with long term SO’s). I’d definitely have a conversation.

Yeah, I think this is a really good point.  Part of me feels like they won't WANT to be with us that much....plus we are so port intensive, a lot of our/their time will be spent OFF the ship.

• Like 2

The best Haven/Non-Haven experience I’ve had was on the Gem. We were a group of 18 with only ourselves (Me, Hubby, 2 kids) in the Owner Suite. This worked out splendidly because the Owner Suite is outside of the Haven area. Our room was the gathering spot for the entire cruise.

We’ve also had several experiences where others booked the same cruise after we had already booked. We were in the Haven and the others were not. I agree, we did not get to use the Haven facilities to their potential + it made it harder for others to randomly knock on our cabin door. We spent lots of time outside of the Haven.

We still treat our kids to vacation. They are now 21 & 23 and although they want do their own thing, they are very cognizant of the fact they are getting a free vacation in the Haven. They have yet to complain to us about sleeping in the 2nd bedroom or the pull-out couch. However I stay out of the discussions when they decide on who sleeps where. As discussed earlier in the thread, I will cherish every vacation I get with them before life pulls them in different directions. And if I have to bribe them with the Haven, so be it. 🤪
  • Like 4

• 2 months later...

Would love to hear the outcome of this story. I'm in a similar situation with a booking right now. Two couples, one cruise. We cruise in Haven, they are new to NCL and not interested in Haven. We are compromising on Mini-Suites, but I know I'm going to regret it at every disembarkation. Twice, listening to my husband complain each time 🤣. I want us to be together so this will all work out. Everyone had great stories of how well things turned out!

• Like 1

If $$$ isn't really an issue I would upgrade them all and let them have the choice of joining you when and where they want.  That way they can do Haven or non-Haven things, either with everyone or on their own.  

My parents have also taken and paid for the family to go on a cruise together, but not in the Haven (I convinced them about upgrading to Club Mini's for everyone).  My mother did put "strings" on it though, as she "requested" that we all dine together for dinner.  Nobody minded so we all acquiesced to make her happy. 😉

• Like 2

First, I don't know how I missed this topic before. Apologies for not responding sooner and if you've taken/are on this cruise, I hope you all have an amazing time! I had several different thoughts as I read through this thread and your original post. 

I'd just like to say you are an amazing mom! My family was fine with my husband and I, but wouldn't have celebrated it as much as it sounds like you are, so yay you! 

From your son and his partner's point of view, I could see them enjoying alone time outside of the Haven, and away from you (sorry). They're young and in love, so ya know they have different priorities. 

BUT, if I were you/them, I'd miss having them in the Haven Restaurant for the meals. Specialty dining is nothing compared to the Haven. You could probably get permission from the concierge to bring them to dinner once or twice, but likely not every meal. And once you go Haven, do you even want to eat anywhere else? 

Also, if you're a close family, you won't be able to share amenities (as you know) which means you'll need to leave the Haven to enjoy time with them. Maybe that's fine with them, but it would be annoying if you leave the Haven to find chair hogs have taken up all the pool deck chairs leaving your family out from the most desirable chairs. 

If I had the resources, I'd put the boys in the Haven and not think of it again. Then they can have alone time anywhere else on the ship. But, if part of you are in the Haven, then I am afraid you and your husband are going to feel a need to venture out in the crowd more. Your boys may feel awkward going to your room since they're not Haven guests. I'm not sure I helped you out, but those are my convoluted, and probably not worded well thoughts. 

Have a lovely time in the Med!!

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for all the great feedback.  As it turned out, our Escape cruise was cancelled.  But since we already had all the flights paid for, had Rome planned, etc., we pivoted.  We are still flying into Rome for those days, but now we will fly from Rome to Athens, spend a few days in Athens and then join the Jade in Athens for a Greece intensive 7 day cruise.  This turned out great because with the money (FCCs) we already had tied up on the Escape, we were able to get everyone into the Haven on the Jade.  So, while the Jade doesn't have all the amenities, at least we are all on the same "level" now.  We are excited for our trip, and hope everyone here has some happy cruising!!

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, sbsmutoni said:

Thanks everyone for all the great feedback.  As it turned out, our Escape cruise was cancelled.  But since we already had all the flights paid for, had Rome planned, etc., we pivoted.  We are still flying into Rome for those days, but now we will fly from Rome to Athens, spend a few days in Athens and then join the Jade in Athens for a Greece intensive 7 day cruise.  This turned out great because with the money (FCCs) we already had tied up on the Escape, we were able to get everyone into the Haven on the Jade.  So, while the Jade doesn't have all the amenities, at least we are all on the same "level" now.  We are excited for our trip, and hope everyone here has some happy cruising!!

Thank you for the update and have an wonderful cruise!

• Like 1