Book Excursions Early

Glaciers

Staffing issues are a problem everywhere. It’s always a good idea to book as soon as you know what you want to do, but more important than ever now. I would not be surprised to see reports of excursions canceled at the last minute due to staff shortages, so it’s good to have a backup plan if the excursion you booked gets canceled.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JT1962 said:

Staffing issues are a problem everywhere. It’s always a good idea to book as soon as you know what you want to do, but more important than ever now. I would not be surprised to see reports of excursions canceled at the last minute due to staff shortages, so it’s good to have a backup plan if the excursion you booked gets canceled.

(bold is my addition) I was just thinking the same thing. Vendors may be taking bookings in hopes of having full staffs, even if they don't have all their positions filled now. I will be taking my fourth Alaska cruise this summer, so I've done all my "bucket list" tours. But I'll still be disappointed if the few tours I have booked are cancelled. 

Folks in the tourism industry are reporting extremely strong bookings for the upcoming summer season. Anyone interested in doing a land portion needs to book their accommodations and rental vehicles now.  

And a quick comment from someone who lives in Alaska -- we are experiencing severe staff shortages across the board whether it be in the hospitality industry, medical field or whatever. 

Count me in as one who booked and had stuff cancelled! I’m just glad the company told us early so we could book another tour.  Would be super bummed if we didn’t find out until later......like how the Skagway train trips are still being sold as nothing has changed haha 

I second booking early.   We are traveling with a couple that takes their time booking and they've already missed out on one that sold out.

Edited by Chadmo
spelling

37 minutes ago, Chadmo said:

We are traveling with a couple that takes their time booking and they've already missed out on one that sold out.

I traveled with a friend who hated to plan ahead on my first cruise to Alaska in 2008. He refused to even look at excursions until the night before, or sometimes even the morning we arrived at a port because he wanted to wait to see what he felt like doing. We missed out on several excursions because I was trying to be nice and waited on him to book. After that I have always booked well in advance.

Edited by JT1962
  • Like 1

On 4/20/2022 at 6:50 AM, Kathscof said:

Count me in as one who booked and had stuff cancelled! I’m just glad the company told us early so we could book another tour.  Would be super bummed if we didn’t find out until later......like how the Skagway train trips are still being sold as nothing has changed haha 

Interesting that the railroad's site is only selling the RT. Lake Bennet says "Service will return in 2023." So it isn't like the cruise lines don't know.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 4/20/2022 at 5:50 PM, JT1962 said:

I traveled with a friend who hated to plan ahead on my first cruise to Alaska in 2008. He refused to even look at excursions until the night before, or sometimes even the morning we arrived at a port because he wanted to wait to see what he felt like doing. We missed out on several excursions because I was trying to be nice and waited on him to book. After that I have always booked well in advance.

Nope. I am a planner and I would have freaked out at them. I kept rearranging my ports but I am now staying with what is booked. Happy with choices. I have 2 booked in Juneau so I will eventually cancel one...just wanting to see odds of the helicopter tours going in early Sept. 

I agree!  Book early i given the staffing problems.  Most excursions can be cancelled later if you change your mind.  Ans never wait on someone else - I do my thing and if anyone else in the group wants to come along, fine.  If not, thats fine too.