Suite credit for tips

mappyuk

We are using onboard credit (came as package) for tips at the speciality restaurants and we’re told by guest relations if we have any credit left it could be converted to a cheque and given to our butler. Obviously some one just have over heard and corrected them as I got a letter today from guest relations saying the opposite. It seems unfair that you can use it to top restaurant staff but not the butler. Perhaps I shall do a room service order and leave a big tip. Wonder who gets that. 

M

Just checked our onboard folio and they have reversed out the restaurant tips which presumably they now want us to pay for. This is bad behaviour I think. We were told they could be used for tips and now they say they can’t and will presumably present us a bill for them at the end of the cruise. 

M

The note we had last week on Quest said onboard credit given to you as part of a package could NOT be used towards restaurant gratuities.  The only gratuity it could be used for was the 18% mandatory spa gratuity. In other words it could not be used for anything discretionary.  I rechecked this as I have used mine in restaurants before and was told this was indeed a new rule.  Didn’t really bother me.

Youve never been able to convert it to a cheque or use it for the butler sorry 

In all the paperwork in the room there will be an explanation of this - did you get a letter confirming how much obc you have?  If you did it’s on that. 

Edited by uktog

There was a letter in the room yes but guest services told me the opposite and on my statement they were clearly taking it from my onboard credit. This morning they have reinstated my onboard credit and told me I need to pay

20 minutes ago, mappyuk said:

There was a letter in the room yes but guest services told me the opposite and on my statement they were clearly taking it from my onboard credit. This morning they have reinstated my onboard credit and told me I need to pay

Always go with what you are told in writing.  
It’s not unusual for accounting entries to be reversed a few days on, it’s not an accurate real time system unfortunately 
Sounds like you’ve a few issues onboard so even more important to seek out the hotel director to discuss.  She is the best hotel director on Azamara and an excellent listener. 

Edited by uktog
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, mdpa said:

Can you please confirm, I thought all gratuities are included (excluding Spa, excursions)?

You are absolutely correct.  In terms of the specialities waiters approach you will a bill for your meal (it will be zero if you are in a suite) and it has a line for a tip but you are not required to add one if you do not feel the service or meal was above and beyond.

• Like 1

Thanks, I believe Celebrity does this in their specialty restaurants as well. Personally, I like when it is more defined. Gratuities are included or not included.

I understand everyone has a different opinion: When it is listed as “included” and you factor that into the “value” of your cruise, but then you can pay extra if you had really good service. Candidly, I expect really good service, otherwise I would have chose a budget option.

• Like 2

Yes all gratuities are included, my understanding is that the extra cost for specialty restaurants is as much for the extra service as it is for the food provided.

As regards the line for gratuities on bills the Micross system used on Azamara is common with Royal Caribbean and Celebrity so this line was standard across the brands. Will be interesting to see if Azamara’s new owners will be introducing a new system and hopefully if so it will be better suited to Azamara’s operation.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Riocca said:

Yes all gratuities are included, my understanding is that the extra cost for specialty restaurants is as much for the extra service as it is for the food provided.

As regards the line for gratuities on bills the Micross system used on Azamara is common with Royal Caribbean and Celebrity so this line was standard across the brands. Will be interesting to see if Azamara’s new owners will be introducing a new system and hopefully if so it will be better suited to Azamara’s operation.

Agree.  However I am still wondering what the ethos of the new brand is actually going to be so I am not holding my breath for now.

Unfortunately some waiters in the speciality do highlight the tips line with the phrase "and there is a line there if you liked my service".  I am not sure the Head Waiters/Restaurant managers were aware this happened but there was a group of them who regularly did this and this led unsuspecting guests to feel pressured to add.  I think now you cant use cruise line OBC to add extra tips, there will be a lot less additional tipping from some guests.

Certainly pre pandemic we’ve never had any pressure to add a tip in the Speciality restaurants, will be interesting to see what happens next month on Onward.

I always thought you couldn’t use cruise line OBC for gratuities so have never tried preferring to make a donation to the Crew Welfare Fund anyway which is much fairer.

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, Riocca said:

Certainly pre pandemic we’ve never had any pressure to add a tip in the Speciality restaurants, will be interesting to see what happens next month on Onward.

I always thought you couldn’t use cruise line OBC for gratuities so have never tried preferring to make a donation to the Crew Welfare Fund anyway which is much fairer.

We have had the gratuity in the speciality taken from ships OBC in the past, but as I said its no big deal.  We only tip for someone who goes well above or alternatively on the last night might tip if we have had the same waiter throughout.

Quite agree re the crew fund.  We dont do it for thanks but there was a sting in the tail last week.  We actually wondered if the donation had got lost as we did not have the usual acknowledgement then just as we were leaving we found a note that had been pushed under the door and in it a card saying the crew from Pursuit thanked us for our donation.  I think that is very very wrong, we were  on Quest why had they filched it 😁

Guest services just confirmed that I misunderstood them and that no tips can come from on board credit so would need to be settled at end of cruise. They offered to void the tips but then staff would not get them obviously. Annoyed as I was definitely told that they could. Though there is a contradictory letter in the suite. 

Left a bad taste in the mouth. Still, Now have $990 dollars to spend in the shop when it finally opens. 

7 minutes ago, mappyuk said:

Guest services just confirmed that I misunderstood them and that no tips can come from on board credit so would need to be settled at end of cruise. They offered to void the tips but then staff would not get them obviously. Annoyed as I was definitely told that they could. Though there is a contradictory letter in the suite. 

Left a bad taste in the mouth. Still, Now have $990 dollars to spend in the shop when it finally opens. 

As well as the shop, if you are interested in Elemis products you can buy them at the spa - I got some to use as Christmas gifts.  Also did you resolve the spa deck issue as you used to be able to buy an all cruise pass for there so that would save wasting OBC and you could still enjoy the spa deck 

Edited by uktog