Victoria, Canadá from San Francisco Covid Testing

debnrick

The picture below is a snapshot from Carnival website regarding Covid testing for Canada. I am really confused. We have been vaccinated and have one booster dose so we thought we could test up to THREE days prior to boarding. After reading Canada requires TWO days prior to boarding, which rule do we follow? We were planning on the THREE day prior rule but after reading this…..will we not be able to board the ship in San Francisco without a TWO day prior test? Can we continue with our THREE day test plan and just choose to remain on the ship in Canada? This is a San Francisco round-trip cruise with our final stop being in Victoria, Canada,

6BE83048-7619-404B-977D-9A135A17D9C0.jpeg

I would follow the advice that is for Canada specifically if you are going to Canada. 

The 3 day rule is a rule put in place by Carnival, not by government.   Canada recently came out with their requirements for cruise ships to stop in Canada.  The difference in policy is likely being driven by that.  They may let you cruise and not get off but I personally wouldn't chance it. 

Edited by 1kaper
  • Like 1

THIS is the sort of confusion that has to be done and over with

before I start cruising again.

Simply too much uncertainty, waves, surges, variants,

and weekly changes in protocols!

But Bravo! to those of you who who tolerate it, in order to cruise!

Victory-235.jpg

• Like 2

Is there a difference between NAAT tests and antigen tests for entering Canada?  Three days or two days before cruise.  And what good are the tests if they are over a week old when you finally reach Victoria, the last stop on your seven day cruise?  What a clusterf*#@ over a four hour stop.  I would rather just miss Canada like last season.✌️

8 minutes ago, jskinsd said:

Is there a difference between NAAT tests and antigen tests for entering Canada?  Three days or two days before cruise.  And what good are the tests if they are over a week old when you finally reach Victoria, the last stop on your seven day cruise?  What a clusterf*#@ over a four hour stop.  I would rather just miss Canada like last season.✌️

NAAT is considered better than an antigen test, so you can do either. 

14 minutes ago, 1kaper said:

NAAT is considered better than an antigen test, so you can do either. 

Does not answer my question?  If the NAAT test is better, why not three days?  So far the only info i'm getting is only from Carnival and it didn't mention the NAAT test.  The only info I see for entering Canada is to register with ArriveCan.✌️

2 minutes ago, jskinsd said:

Does not answer my question?  If the NAAT test is better, why not three days?  So far the only info i'm getting is only from Carnival and it didn't mention the NAAT test.  The only info I see for entering Canada is to register with ArriveCan.✌️

Sorry, I misunderstood the question. 

It would probably be best to talk to Carnival directly.  Canada does make a distinction between the antigen and NAAT test but it appears Carnival does not.  Since they are the ones  allow you to board they might not accept it 3 days before.  

There is also a Canadian port board on here that may have others who have better information.  

When are you sailing?  Keep in mind cruise ships are JUST returning to Canada so this may become a little more clear as they start to arrive. 

Since you are on an Alaskan cruise that is visiting Canada, you must follow the 2 day before rule. It is fairly black and white. It trumps the 3 day rule for those who are boosted.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Pyxie said:

Since you are on an Alaskan cruise that is visiting Canada, you must follow the 2 day before rule. It is fairly black and white. It trumps the 3 day rule for those who are boosted.

Does not mention NAAT molecular test, only the antigen test.  They are two different tests.✌️

17 minutes ago, jskinsd said:

Does not mention NAAT molecular test, only the antigen test.  They are two different tests.✌️

I am in discussions with my Carnival PVP currently. No one at Carnival seems to know the actual rules (or about ArriveCAN which is a whole different issue). They seem unprepared for the Alaska cruises.

Canadian rules say 2 days for Antigen (any time that day, not just 48 hours), but they say 72 actual hours for Molecular Test (NAAT / PCR). I board on Monday 11:00 - 11:30 AM Pacific time,  so I had planned a NAAT test after 2:00 PM Central time (where I live) on Friday to be covered. Now Carnival is saying 2 days for an Antigen test, but does not mention anything about NAAT / PCR tests. I fly to Seattle early Saturday morning and want to have my negative test before leaving so I don’t have to test in Seattle and find out I an positive and be stuck quarantining there. It’s very frustrating to still have these differing requirements 12 days before boarding. 

https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/cruise

A4E5EE42-185B-4D9B-AAD7-9BB25F850C53.png

7 minutes ago, JT1962 said:

I am in discussions with my Carnival PVP currently. No one at Carnival seems to know the actual rules (or about ArriveCAN which is a whole different issue). They seem unprepared for the Alaska cruises.

Canadian rules say 2 days for Antigen (any time that day, not just 48 hours), but they say 72 actual hours for Molecular Test (NAAT / PCR). I board on Monday 11:00 - 11:30 AM Pacific time,  so I had planned a NAAT test after 2:00 PM Central time (where I live) on Friday to be covered. Now Carnival is saying 2 days for an Antigen test, but does not mention anything about NAAT / PCR tests. I fly to Seattle early Saturday morning and want to have my negative test before leaving so I don’t have to test in Seattle and find out I an positive and be stuck quarantining there. It’s very frustrating to still have these differing requirements 12 days before boarding. 

A4E5EE42-185B-4D9B-AAD7-9BB25F850C53.png

I was wondering if carnival decided to just stick with the antigen/2 days to keep things simple and avoid confusion?

What is the issue with ArriveCan?  It's been pretty standard for most of the pandemic to use. 

I do sympathize with the frustation. 

Edited by 1kaper

1 minute ago, 1kaper said:

I was wondering if carnival decided to just stick with the antigen/2 days to keep things simple and avoid confusion?

What is the issue with ArriveCan?  It's been pretty standard for most of the pandemic to use. 

I do sympathize with the frustation. 

That was my thought as to why the just said 2 days. Carnival’s sister lines Princess and Holland America match what Canada says (3 days for NAAT / PCR), so I’m not sure why Carnival can’t be in agreement.

As far as ArriveCAN, Carnival lists nothing on their website about it being needed, my PVP assures me it won’t be used and even John Heald (Brand Ambassador) said in the last several days in answering a direct question that they are not using it and it is not needed for cruises departing the US. They are either aware of something I am not seeing in the requirements or don’t understand the requirements.

4 hours ago, debnrick said:

The picture below is a snapshot from Carnival website regarding Covid testing for Canada. I am really confused. We have been vaccinated and have one booster dose so we thought we could test up to THREE days prior to boarding. After reading Canada requires TWO days prior to boarding, which rule do we follow? We were planning on the THREE day prior rule but after reading this…..will we not be able to board the ship in San Francisco without a TWO day prior test? Can we continue with our THREE day test plan and just choose to remain on the ship in Canada? This is a San Francisco round-trip cruise with our final stop being in Victoria, Canada,

6BE83048-7619-404B-977D-9A135A17D9C0.jpeg

I contacted John Heald regarding this because of course it does affect our group as well on the Splendor in June.  At this time if you want to go into Victoria your test has to be as stated above however he stated that they are in talks with Canada regarding this and would let us know as soon as they have any news.  Being a Canadian that lives in the US, I also contacted my family in Canada and they stated yes at this time. 

3 hours ago, debnrick said:

And the testing no earlier than 2-days prior means we can test as early as 5am Saturday morning to sail on Monday if I read it correctly. 

It is not time stamped so for a Tuesday Alaska cruise out of Seattle the test would have to be taken on Sunday if wanting to enter Canada.  If staying on the ship and you are vaccinated and boostered then you can test on Saturday as we are prepared to do since we are really only in Victoria for three hours if you consider the time you get off and have be back on.  But we are considering bringing our eMed tests with us so it is available should our group change our minds

To add even more confusion, an update from April 1 seems to indicate no Covid test is required to enter Canada by land, air or water.  Some are saying the other websites showing a test for cruise ship passengers from outside Canada has not been updated, others are saying the April 1 update applies to everyone unless you are on a cruise ship.  

Of course it does say you must use ArriveCAN, but Carnival doesn’t seem to agree.

https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/covid-vaccinated-travellers-entering-canada

768CDBE4-EDB6-4DB9-9C67-0BBB2ACEDFC1.png

Edited by JT1962

9 minutes ago, JT1962 said:

To add even more confusion, an update from April 1 seems to indicate no Covid test is required to enter Canada by land, air or water.  Some are saying the other websites showing a test for cruise ship passengers from outside Canada has not been updated, others are saying the April 1 update applies to everyone unless you are on a cruise ship.  

https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/covid-vaccinated-travellers-entering-canada

768CDBE4-EDB6-4DB9-9C67-0BBB2ACEDFC1.png

The Canadian government website for COVID requirement and rules has been frustratingly confusing since the beginning of this.   It is often contradictory. 

They do have a separate section for cruise ships specifically and I know that the requirements for cruise ships were only recently developed. It does specifically say that if you are on a cruise ship that will dock in Canada you need to be tested.  They are clearly differentiating it from other types of water arrivals. I would go by that as the requirement. 

This website was updated April 11th.  

Edited by 1kaper

I am on the Alaskan cruise that leaves from San Francisco on May 2nd.  The last stop is Victoria, BC.

We are testing 3 days before (Friday AM we are boosted).  Nowhere on the Carnival website does it say we need to test 2 days before because we will be stopping in Victoria.

It makes no sense to me how many days before since we will be on the ship for 10/11 days after being tested.

If they don't let us off because we were tested 11 days before we get there instead of 10...oh well.

4 minutes ago, hapytobehr said:

I am on the Alaskan cruise that leaves from San Francisco on May 2nd.  The last stop is Victoria, BC.

We are testing 3 days before (Friday AM we are boosted).  Nowhere on the Carnival website does it say we need to test 2 days before because we will be stopping in Victoria.

It makes no sense to me how many days before since we will be on the ship for 10/11 days after being tested.

If they don't let us off because we were tested 11 days before we get there instead of 10...oh well.

On Carnival's website it says on under testing requirements on the COVID 19 protocols page updated April 15, 2022 that "Fully vaccinated guests traveling to Canada must take their antigen pre-cruise test no earlier than two days prior to sailing."

https://www.carnival.com/legal/covid-19-legal-notices/covid-19-guest-protocols

I would be more worried about being denied boarding or having to find a last minute test if Carnival follows it strictly than simply not being able to get off on a stop. 

Edited by 1kaper
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, 1kaper said:

The Canadian government website for COVID requirement and rules has been frustratingly confusing since the beginning of this.   It is often contradictory. 

They do have a separate section for cruise ships specifically and I know that the requirements for cruise ships were only recently developed. It does specifically say that if you are on a cruise ship that will dock in Canada you need to be tested.  They are clearly differentiating it from other types of water arrivals. I would go by that as the requirement. 

This website was updated April 11th.  

Yes. That is where I got the Molecular Test (PCR /NAAT) is required no more than 72 hours prior to boarding. It appears Carnival may have just taken the was way out and just said 2 days so the shore side employees will just need to verify the date and results and not the type of test. I see that making it easier for the employees, but it makes it difficult for passengers arriving on Saturday to have to either find a place in Seattle to get tested or order an at-home proctored self test to take at our hotel room in Seattle. I would like to know before I fly 5 hours whether I am positive or negative.

1. Proof of a valid negative molecular test taken within 72 hours of your scheduled boarding time 
    • for example, if you’re scheduled to board at 11:00 am on Friday, your test must have been taken any time after 10:59 am on Tuesday

12 minutes ago, 1kaper said:

On Carnival's website it says on under testing requirements on the COVID 19 protocols page updated April 15, 2022 that "Fully vaccinated guests traveling to Canada must take their antigen pre-cruise test no earlier than two days prior to sailing."

https://www.carnival.com/legal/covid-19-legal-notices/covid-19-guest-protocols

I would be more worried about being denied boarding or having to find a last minute test if Carnival follows it strictly than simply not being able to get off on a stop. 

Yes. They added the Canada 2 day requirement on Friday, I believe.  The new Canada requirement says “Fully Vaccinated” and “Antigen”. If you are “Up to date” and / or take a Molecular PCR test, is it still 3 days like other cruises? They do not clarify that for cruises that stop in Canada like they do in the two requirements directly above it for other cruises.

I think they may deny boarding if you take the test more than 2 days prior to the cruise. I booked my flight on Saturday based on information Carnival originally had that I could test 3 days ahead of the boarding day, then they changed the requirement to two days. I predict a lot of confusion and upset people at the pier.

1569ADBA-BB3F-4A0E-8B25-70F6A0B0D9A9.png

Edited by JT1962

1 minute ago, JT1962 said:

Yes. They added the Canada 2 day requirement on Friday, I believe.  I think they will deny boarding if you take the test more than 2 days prior to the cruise. I booked my flight on Saturday based on information Carnival originally had that I could test 3 days ahead of the boarding day, then they changed the requirement to two days.

5 minutes ago, JT1962 said:

Yes. That is where I got the Molecular Test (PCR /NAAT) is required no more than 72 hours prior to boarding. It appears Carnival may have just taken the was way out and just said 2 days so the shore side employees will just need to verify the date and results and not the type of test. I see that making it easier for the employees, but it makes it difficult for passengers arriving on Saturday to have to either find a place in Seattle to get tested or order an at-home proctored self test to take at our hotel room in Seattle. I would like to know before I fly 5 hours whether I am positive or negative.

1. Proof of a valid negative molecular test taken within 72 hours of your scheduled boarding time 
    • for example, if you’re scheduled to board at 11:00 am on Friday, your test must have been taken any time after 10:59 am on Tuesday

I get your frustration.  I faced the same issue with my cruise.  I was flying to the US 3 days before my cruise.  But I would have had to take my test to get on my flight from Canada 4 days before.  Or after midnight on the day of my flight, for a 5 am flight.  I wasn't going to chance something going wrong so I had to test in the US.  

I agree that Carnival likely made that decision for simplicity sake. 

UPDATE:

I re-read the FAQ's on Carnival's website and this is what it says:

Guests who are up to date with their vaccines, i.e., received a booster if eligible, may take their test within three days prior to sailing. If the sailing is on Saturday, the test may be taken on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday, and as late as Saturday, if you are guaranteed to receive your results in time for check-in. If a guest is fully vaccinated but not up to date with their vaccines (i.e., is eligible for a booster but has not received one), they must take their pre-cruise COVID-19 test within two days prior to sailing.

Fully vaccinated guests traveling on a cruise that calls on Canada will need to take their pre-cruise test no earlier than two days prior to sailing.

We are going to get tested Saturday AM for the Monday cruise.