MSC Seashore & Yacht Club Questions

KnoxRunner

Good morning/evening everyone,

My family and I are going on the Seashore, leaving on 6/25, and I had some questions about changes to the Yacht Club experience and the ship in general. We sailed on the Seaside pre-Covid and know that some changes have been made to the Yacht Club.

1. Drink Package – I have read some places that the included package for the Yacht Club had changed and wanted to get confirmation from recent cruisers. Which package is currently included for Yacht Club? Easy Plus or Premium Extra?
  2.  Mini-fridge – Is the mini-fridge in the room still stocked with complimentary drinks and snacks?
  3. Jean-Philippe Maury, Venchi Gelati and Venchi Chocolate – Which if any of the three are included in the Yacht Club?
  4. Crepes – Is there anywhere on the ship where crepes are available and are they free to Yacht Club guests?

We are super excited to try out the Seashore and we LOVED the Yacht Club.

Thanks in advance for any help and I hope everyone has a wonderful year cruising!!

William

35 minutes ago, KnoxRunner said:

My family and I are going on the Seashore, leaving on 6/25, and I had some questions about changes to the Yacht Club experience and the ship in general. We sailed on the Seaside pre-Covid and know that some changes have been made to the Yacht Club.

1. Drink Package – I have read some places that the included package for the Yacht Club had changed and wanted to get confirmation from recent cruisers. Which package is currently included for Yacht Club? Easy Plus or Premium Extra?
  2.  Mini-fridge – Is the mini-fridge in the room still stocked with complimentary drinks and snacks?
  3. Jean-Philippe Maury, Venchi Gelati and Venchi Chocolate – Which if any of the three are included in the Yacht Club?
  4. Crepes – Is there anywhere on the ship where crepes are available and are they free to Yacht Club guests?

Thanks in advance for any help and I hope everyone has a wonderful year cruising!!

William

To answer your questions:

1.  Currently, you get premium plus.  Essentially, drinks up to $15, so it covers everything but the ultra high end (JW Black, as an example, is not covered).

2.  Mini-fridge has initial stock of snacks, water, soft drinks, and some beers.  You can get one r700 to 750 ml bottle of liquor or wine for the length of the cruise (select from a list).  Additional snacks are supposed to incur a charge, but we did not get a bill for snacks. 

3.  None of those specialty places are covered, but you do get plenty of Venchi chocolates in your room or at Top Sail Lounge.

4.  Available in two places, just like on Seaside.  There is a charge (also a charge for gelato).  Crepes were on the YC dining room menu at least once on each of the weeks we were on.

Edited by JAGR
  • Like 2

51 minutes ago, JAGR said:

1.  Currently, you get premium plus.  Essentially, drinks up to $15, so it covers everything but the ultra high end (JW Black, as an example, is not covered).

2.  Mini-fridge has initial stock of snacks, water, soft drinks, and some beers.  You can get one r700 to 750 ml bottle of liquor or wine for the length of the cruise (select from a list).  Additional snacks are supposed to incur a charge, but we did not get a bill for snacks. 

3.  None of those specialty places are covered, but you do get plenty of Venchi chocolates in your room or at Top Sail Lounge.

4.  Available in two places, just like on Seaside.  There is a charge (also a charge for gelato).  Crepes were on the YC dining room menu at least once on each of the weeks we were on.

Hey Jagr,

Thanks for the feedback. I noticed that most of my questions were on the website but with MSC's history of inconsistencies I figured it was better to ask people that have been on the ship.

You are always very helpful on this site and I appreciate your help!

Happy Cruising!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, JAGR said:

but you do get plenty of Venchi chocolates in your room or at Top Sail Lounge.

Well, I wish it were still so. I just hate for JAGR to miss something like this. I just adore the chocolates. There were only two on our pillow each evening ( not my favorites). Once a gift came to the cabin from hosts a small black box of 4 chocolates, better selection. Went to TSL and inquired about where are the venchi chocolates? Sorry sir. Went to the Venchi kiosk and purchased 1 kilo (2.2 lbs) of each of my 2 favorites at $7.70 /100 grams = $77.00/ kilo. All the assortment is the same price. Priced Venchi on line before we left. My favorites were $100 / kilo. I had two Venchi sundaes at every lunch and dinner part of the dessert menu. Waiter exclaimed that all the Venchi in the YC is gelato made on board. Outside it could be both made on board or pre-packaged. Though in YC only certain flavors are available each night.

P.S. Venchi has a 10% sale, but only on the boxes which are assortments. Do not make any purchases before the ship is well away (12 miles) from US shores, otherwise your bill will reflect an additional 7% sales tax.

Edited by morpheusofthesea
P.S.

1 hour ago, morpheusofthesea said:

Well, I wish it were still so. I just hate for JAGR to miss something like this. I just adore the chocolates. There were only two on our pillow each evening ( not my favorites). Once a gift came to the cabin from hosts a small black box of 4 chocolates, better selection. Went to TSL and inquired about where are the venchi chocolates? Sorry sir. Went to the Venchi kiosk and purchased 1 kilo (2.2 lbs) of each of my 2 favorites at $7.70 /100 grams = $77.00/ kilo. All the assortment is the same price. Priced Venchi on line before we left. My favorites were $100 / kilo. I had two Venchi sundaes at every lunch and dinner part of the dessert menu. Waiter exclaimed that all the Venchi in the YC is gelato made on board. Outside it could be both made on board or pre-packaged. Though in YC only certain flavors are available each night.

P.S. Venchi has a 10% sale, but only on the boxes which are assortments. Do not make any purchases before the ship is well away (12 miles) from US shores, otherwise your bill will reflect an additional 7% sales tax.

Are bar drinks taxed also?

Like food, I guess opinions on what constitutes "enough Venchi chocolates" is varied.  We each got two on our pillows almost every night, had some at Top Sail at least three nights out of each week, and we got a total of four of what we've come to all the "Goodbye boxes" that you normally get on the last night.  I think they are probably similar to the host gift box you mention.  Our butler was good about trying to get us varieties we like.  Still have some left a month after getting off the ship.  DW's trick was to give Robbie (the incoming YC director on our second week) a selection of Walker's Scottish shortbread, and them mentioned to him how much she loved dark chocolate.  A mere coincidence that a bag of them showed up in our room the next day!  Nonetheless, I accept you correction.  I will say that a modicum of Venchi chocolates may be available to YC guests!  Take care, John

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JAGR said:

Like food, I guess opinions on what constitutes "enough Venchi chocolates" is varied.  We each got two on our pillows almost every night, had some at Top Sail at least three nights out of each week, and we got a total of four of what we've come to all the "Goodbye boxes" that you normally get on the last night.  I think they are probably similar to the host gift box you mention.  Our butler was good about trying to get us varieties we like.  Still have some left a month after getting off the ship.  DW's trick was to give Robbie (the incoming YC director on our second week) a selection of Walker's Scottish shortbread, and them mentioned to him how much she loved dark chocolate.  A mere coincidence that a bag of them showed up in our room the next day!  Nonetheless, I accept you correction.  I will say that a modicum of Venchi chocolates may be available to YC guests!  Take care, John

Forgot the photo!

image.png.e86fadf900447fc872e3fc624beb0068.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, KnoxRunner said:

William

We will be boarding on Seashore on 6/18 for a B2B. Hope to meet up in the top sail lounge onboard. Our last MSC cruise was also Seaside YC in July 2019.

Are any drinks included at Venchi like cappuccino?

18 hours ago, JAGR said:

I only remember seeing crepes being made in the gelato place at the back of ship on Seaside. Where else are crepes made? Crepes where not included on our first week on Seaside in YC, but were included on the second week? Even asked the YC director first week and was told crepes were not included. Seems like a few more cutbacks in YC compared to our last time sailing on Seaside.

5 hours ago, frank808 said:

We will be boarding on Seashore on 6/18 for a B2B. Hope to meet up in the top sail lounge onboard. Our last MSC cruise was also Seaside YC in July 2019.

Are any drinks included at Venchi like cappuccino?

Would be great to meet up in the top sail lounge! This will be our first cruise since 2019 and we are very excited.

5 hours ago, frank808 said:

I only remember seeing crepes being made in the gelato place at the back of ship on Seaside. Where else are crepes made? Crepes where not included on our first week on Seaside in YC, but were included on the second week? Even asked the YC director first week and was told crepes were not included. Seems like a few more cutbacks in YC compared to our last time sailing on Seaside.

You may be right about them only at the Gelato and Creperie on 7, but I know when sitting in the Piazza Grande on 6 that servers from the Chocolate Bar did offer and bring out crepes.  They may have gone to to 7 to get them, but back then, the bent over backwards to cater to YC guests.  Even in 2019, when free crepes were not included, servers would often not charge if they saw you YC bracelet. These days, it is different.  The cutbacks (I think MSC calls them "service adjustments"), continue to evolve, to the point that staff members don't know what is included.  At its price point, it is still one of the best deals out there, but it is headed to becoming a nickel and dime operation at times.

2 minutes ago, clemsonlori98 said:

Did not receive any of these "goodbye" boxes of Venchi chocolate last week on Seashore.  ☹️

They are consistent about holding inconsistency sacred.  As I'm sure you here in South Carolina, "Bless their heart!"

• Like 2

20 hours ago, JAGR said:

each got two on our pillows almost every night, had some at Top Sail at least three nights out of each week, and we got a total of four of what we've come to all the "Goodbye boxes" that you normally get on the last night.

Do you tip before, during and (or) after your cruises ?

P.S. When was this cruise?

Edited by morpheusofthesea
P.S.

1 hour ago, clemsonlori98 said:

Did not receive any of these "goodbye" boxes of Venchi chocolate last week on Seashore.

We got a couple of them on Meraviglia a few weeks ago. It's difficult to remove the tape without damaging the box but it can be done. 😁

I use the boxes at my desk to keep stuff. 

1 hour ago, JAGR said:

They are consistent about holding inconsistency sacred.

Absolutely. 

7 hours ago, frank808 said:

Crepes where not included on our first week on Seaside in YC, but were included on the second week?

My theory is that MSC doesn't charge for certain things at random times to make the guest "feel" special. 

1 hour ago, JAGR said:

Even in 2019, when free crepes were not included, servers would often not charge if they saw you YC bracelet.

The same happened with included/not included gelato. I was never charged but some forum members were charged. On Ocean Cay, we were never charged at Smiling Fish no matter how much we ordered (over 2 days). 

Do you tip before, during and (or) after your cruises ?

P.S. When was this cruise?

Feb 26 to March 12, 2022, so we were between your recent sailings.  Most tips we typically distribute on the last night of the cruise.  Since we were B2B, we gave envelopes out to major servers on the Fridays.  Servers outside YC were at the point of service.  We did give the YC pool guards tips every other day or so because they went above and beyond to help set our area up for us early in the day.

Edited by JAGR
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/20/2022 at 8:51 AM, JAGR said:

Currently, you get premium plus.  Essentially, drinks up to $15, s

For drinks > $15, do you pay the entire cost or the difference. E.g, I saw a menu with Macallan for $16 - pay $1 or $16?

5 hours ago, bac513 said:

For drinks > $15, do you pay the entire cost or the difference. E.g, I saw a menu with Macallan for $16 - pay $1 or $16?

Entire cost. The Yacht Club drinks reflect Premium Extra with a small number of pluses e.g. the Macallan you mention may have been included on our YC experience last month. Outwith the YC enclave it's Premium Extra.

Most what JAGR has written was reflected on our recent cruise on Grandiosa.