Questions from Experienced Cruiser with little Carnival Experience

handbellplayer

We will be sailing on the Magic from PC on November 5 with my BFF and her husband.  We are experienced Royal cruisers and I have a few questions about Carnival.  Any help is appreciated.

1.      Check-In procedure – The Hub app says 90 days ahead– can everything be done ahead of time (passports, vaccination info, etc.)  and then then we have timed check-in at port?  How do we make sure our travelling companions have the same check-in time?

2.      We want a table for 4 (linked reservations) at late dining – ask ahead or on-board?

3.      What are the current muster procedures = Watch a film and quick check-in at your station like Royal?

4.      Using the Hub chat feature – do we activate it on board or ahead?  Can we set up chat between linked reservations?

5.      Do any shows require reservations?

Thanks in advance for your help!

18 minutes ago, handbellplayer said:

We will be sailing on the Magic from PC on November 5 with my BFF and her husband.  We are experienced Royal cruisers and I have a few questions about Carnival.  Any help is appreciated.  I'll try, but as you know these things are fluid and may change by November. We must sailed from PC 2 wks ago, and are booked for Miami in November.

1.      Check-In procedure – The Hub app says 90 days ahead– can everything be done ahead of time (passports, vaccination info, etc.)  and then then we have timed check-in at port?  How do we make sure our travelling companions have the same check-in time?

2.      We want a table for 4 (linked reservations) at late dining – ask ahead or on-board?

3.      What are the current muster procedures = Watch a film and quick check-in at your station like Royal?

4.      Using the Hub chat feature – do we activate it on board or ahead?  Can we set up chat between linked reservations?

I'll try  but as you know things are likely to change. We sailed 2 wks ago from PC... And also booked for Miami in November....

1. Checkin is currently 2 weeks prior to sail date. We used VeriFLY for ID, vax and test results... but you should be able to take care of some items far in advance of check in date. Refer to your cruise manager.

2. We always do YTD.... So sorry I'm not sure; perhaps someone else can confirm... But if not I would call CS to get bookings linked ahead of time.

3. YES! super simple and quick and I hope it stays this way

4. Sorry haven't used chat feature but from what I understand chat is set up onboard. Hub is not available until on the ship. Super easy to use.

5. No. At least none of the ships I've been on.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, handbellplayer said:

Hub is only useful on the ship and chat is only activated on the ship.  If you have already linked bookings they will show up in your list of contacts.

• Like 2

We are also on this sailing! When we made our reservations, our Carnival PVP linked us with our friends for our selected dining time. I believe you can do it yourself in your cruise manager. Open your Planner, in top right hand corner, click on the three little bars,  will see Booking And Order zdetails. Open that, it shows the info about your stateroom, etc. Scroll down the page and it says Your Cruise Companions. If your friends aren’t there, you have the option to send them an email invitation. That’s how you would add them to your dining choice.

The chat feature on the hub is $5 per person for the entire cruise. It works pretty well.

As far as checkin, if you are platinum or Diamond status, you can check in 16 days prior to your cruise, if not, then 14 days prior. I would suggest choosing an arrival time around noon so you both would stand a better chance of getting the same time. It’s usually hard to get the really early arrival times and a bit less crowded after 12.

Hope this helps!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ober134 said:

1. Checkin is currently 2 weeks prior to sail date. We used VeriFLY for ID, vax and test results... but you should be able to take care of some items far in advance of check in date. Refer to your cruise manager.

You did not show a birth certificate, drivers license, passport or any other type of ID/citizenship validation, only VerIFLY?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bar1068 said:

You did not show a birth certificate, drivers license, passport or any other type of ID/citizenship validation, only VerIFLY?

No, you still show them. There is no ID uploaded to Verifly. Its purpose is to match your booking name to your vaccine and test data. It does not prove citizenship.

On Conquest last month, we showed our Boarding Pass to get into the building, Verify before going security, then passports when checking in upstairs.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, handbellplayer said:

You should be able to add companions, on the booking & order details page on the website.  That should link the two groups together without needing to sit on hold for customer service.  

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, cyntil8ing said:

No, you still show them. There is no ID uploaded to Verifly. Its purpose is to match your booking name to your vaccine and test data. It does not prove citizenship.

On Conquest last month, we showed our Boarding Pass to get into the building, Verify before going security, then passports when checking in upstairs.

Thanks, that makes sense and what I understood how it would work using VeriFLY, however when I read tone of the comments that said, "We used VeriFLY for ID, vax and test results..." it appears from that, VeriFLY is checked for ID, which I found odd, particularly having been playing with VeriFLY for a cruise next week where I did not see how that could be used for ID.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, handbellplayer said:

We will be sailing on the Magic from PC on November 5 with my BFF and her husband.  We are experienced Royal cruisers and I have a few questions about Carnival.  Any help is appreciated.

My boyfriend with be on this sailing as well as the first of a B2B.  To answer your questions....

1.  As of right now, check in is being done 14 days prior to sailing, unless you are platinum or diamond and then it is 16 days.  You will choose your check in time for the port at that time.  Your traveling companions will have to check in and choose the same time that you do.

2.  You should be able to go into your booking now and make sure your dining preference is set for Late Dining.  You will also be able to add your cruise companions, if they are not already linked to your reservation.  If you scroll to the bottom, it will show your companions or allow you to send them an email invitation to be listed as a companion.  Once you are linked, when you check in for dining, you can choose all four of you or whomever will be dining together in the app.

3.  You will go to your assigned muster station anytime prior to sailaway (I usually go as soon as I board) and watch a short (1 minute) demonstration of how to put a life jacket on.  The safety video will be playing on your TV in your stateroom.

4.  You can only activate the chat feature on Hub once you are on board.  It is $5 per person for the entire cruise, not per day.  Your cruise companions should show up or you can search their names to find them if they are not already listed.  You can also add "new" friends if you meet people on board you wish to keep in contact with while sailing.  It only works while you are on the ship, not in ports.  You may have to log back in if you take your phone out of airplane mode or connect to wifi while in port.

5.  The shows do not require reservations.  Some are very popular and there may be long lines to get in or the showroom fills up (comedy).

• Like 1

@handbellplayer Both couples can do the online check-in at 12:00am EST to get the earliest possible arrival time.

add: Although shows do not require reservations, comedy shows are popular and do have lines. The Hub app is useful to keep track of all activities. Needed for viewing menus and requesting table for MDR breakfast/Seaday Brunch. You can click ahead to view other menus to plan upcharge dining in advance for other evenings.

Edited by mondello
Add
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, mondello said:

@handbellplayer Both couples can do the online check-in at 12:00am EST to get the earliest possible arrival time.

OR take a late time slot and avoid all the crowds and waiting.  I've yet to see a ship ready for boarding when the first guests are checking in, so the terminal gets pretty crowded.  The later arrivals can walk right through check in and onto the ship.

• Like 2

Just now, groundloop said:

OR take a late time slot and avoid all the crowds and waiting.  I've yet to see a ship ready for boarding when the first guests are checking in, so the terminal gets pretty crowded.  The later arrivals can walk right through check in and onto the ship.

Agree, I've never showed up before noon. My only concern is that I don't miss the ship! Lunch is served at least until 2:30 embarkation day.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cyntil8ing said:

can you show your boarding pass on your phone or do they want paper copies?

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, byrdbrain55 said:

My boyfriend with be on this sailing as well as the first of a B2B.  To answer your questions....

1.  As of right now, check in is being done 14 days prior to sailing, unless you are platinum or diamond and then it is 16 days.  You will choose your check in time for the port at that time.  Your traveling companions will have to check in and choose the same time that you do.

2.  You should be able to go into your booking now and make sure your dining preference is set for Late Dining.  You will also be able to add your cruise companions, if they are not already linked to your reservation.  If you scroll to the bottom, it will show your companions or allow you to send them an email invitation to be listed as a companion.  Once you are linked, when you check in for dining, you can choose all four of you or whomever will be dining together in the app.

3.  You will go to your assigned muster station anytime prior to sailaway (I usually go as soon as I board) and watch a short (1 minute) demonstration of how to put a life jacket on.  The safety video will be playing on your TV in your stateroom.

4.  You can only activate the chat feature on Hub once you are on board.  It is $5 per person for the entire cruise, not per day.  Your cruise companions should show up or you can search their names to find them if they are not already listed.  You can also add "new" friends if you meet people on board you wish to keep in contact with while sailing.  It only works while you are on the ship, not in ports.  You may have to log back in if you take your phone out of airplane mode or connect to wifi while in port.

5.  The shows do not require reservations.  Some are very popular and there may be long lines to get in or the showroom fills up (comedy).

How many production shows would they have on a 7 day cruise?

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, groundloop said:

Things may go back to that scenario in the (near) future but as late as the end of March I have not heard of anyone, or experienced, waiting or crowds in the terminal. We have arrived in the second half hour of check in times and been on the ship without waiting or sitting down—virtually 10 minutes. Both in Long Beach and Miami.

• Like 1

Just so you know if you have late dining, you do not check in on HUB app like you do for anytime dining, you just show up at designated time which I believe is 8:00 or 8:15. 

The time and dining room will be on your sail and sign card. 

I agree to get both rooms linked so the Matre'D will seat you together.

I also don't agree to grab early check in time then show up later when you want to.

We went at our designated time in December and we had appx 45 wait in line to get to checked in before getting on ship. We had 1:00 pm check in time

I think things would go smoother if people tried to stay within check in window.

Edited by elvisrocks
Add on info
  • Like 2

On 4/20/2022 at 4:24 PM, Illbcruzn4life said:

I believe there were 4 or 5, if you include the Welcome Aboard show.  I have the Daily schedule (paper copies) at home and can check and come back with details if you would like.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, byrdbrain55 said:

I believe there were 4 or 5, if you include the Welcome Aboard show.  I have the Daily schedule (paper copies) at home and can check and come back with details if you would like.

Thank you so much. That's not necessary but I appreciate it. Guess we will be watching some movies under the stars on other nights when there is no show.

Thank you again

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Illbcruzn4life said:

Thank you so much. That's not necessary but I appreciate it. Guess we will be watching some movies under the stars on other nights when there is no show.

Thank you again

I believe there will be live music in several venues, too.

• Like 1

On 4/20/2022 at 7:24 PM, Illbcruzn4life said:

Vista 3/26 had Flick, America Rocks, Studio VIP, and a Comedy Showcase (special show with 2 comedians). Not to mention, deck parties and various live music.

• Like 1