New to NCL and have questions!

bryresangel

Hello fellow travelers!

This is my first time on Norwegian. We will be travelling on Bliss next summer. We just booked yesterday, and I was hoping to get some questions answered:

- Can you get day passes to the Thermal Suite, or do you have to purchase access for the entire cruise?

- We are departing and returning from Seattle. What hotels are recommended near the port?

- What is the best specialty restaurant? We have a dining package, but I'm a little confused how that works at the a la carte specialty restaurants and if we have already been charged the gratuity for the specialty dining or if that will happen later.

- How do the main dining rooms work? Do you rotate each night, or just go where the whim takes you? If you can go wherever, what is the best one?

- I saw cookies are a thing, but what else should I know on the Bliss?

Thank you all for your help!

Edited by bryresangel

19 minutes ago, bryresangel said:

Hello fellow travelers!

This is my first time on Norwegian. We will be travelling on Bliss next summer. We just booked yesterday, and I was hoping to get some questions answered:

- Can you get day passes to the Thermal Suite, or do you have to purchase access for the entire cruise?

- We are departing and returning from Seattle. What hotels are recommended near the port?

- What is the best specialty restaurant? We have a dining package, but I'm a little confused how that works at the a la carte specialty restaurants and if we have already been charged the gratuity for the specialty dining or if that will happen later.

- How do the main dining rooms work? Do you rotate each night, or just go where the whim takes you? If you can go wherever, what is the best one?

Been on the Bliss 3 times...my favorite NCL ship.

Yes you can get day passes but only on port days. Cost was $59 in November.

Check the West Coast departures forum on this site for lots of information on hotels and other things to do in Seattle.

Everyone has a favorite and least favorite restaurant on the ship.  It really depends on your tastes. With the dining package you have already paid for your gratuities. You can get unlimited apps and desserts but one entrée. Some items have an upcharge and it will be notated on the menu. If you wish, you can tip your server extra (I always do but service is usually excellent and they work hard).

There are 3 main dining rooms and they all share the same menu. Pick the one that is least crowded.  Some say the Manhattan Room is a little more upscale but I find it a bit noisier than Taste and Savor.

Go to the Observation Lounge on deck 15 forward as soon as you board. It is a beautiful location and there are many people who don't even realize it is there until day 3 or 4. Also, the Waterfront is a great location to sit, relax and watch the scenery go by.

Not sure about the cookies but I saw some in the late evening at the buffet (after 9:30 or so).

Most important of all...enjoy your cruise.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bryresangel said:

Welcome to NCL! And welcome to Cruise Critic. 

Thermal suite passes are sold at the discretion of the spa and usually only on slow port days. Because of the location of the Thermal Suite on the Bliss, it can accommodate fewer patrons than some of the other ships. Prices vary. On the Encore last week, day passes were $79.

Hotels are a personal choice. We stay at The Charter Hotel Seattle, Curio Collection by Hilton. It is a block from Pike Place Market (which overlooks Pier 88 where the Bliss will dock). 

You have been charged the gratuity for your Free at Sea dining package, if you opted in. When you show up for dinner, you can order multiple appetizers, one entrée, and desserts. There is zero money due at time of dining unless you pick an menu item that calls out an upcharge. 

There are three main dining rooms, the Manhattan Room (biggest), and Taste and Savor which are smaller. They all have the same menu. Select any of the three. Freestyle dining says come when you are hungry or it fits your schedule. We like the Manhattan Room because it is bigger. 

The link below was for the inaugural sailing of the Bliss after being christened. The menus and prices are old. But you'll see a few pics of the ship and a few Freestyle Dailies to give you an idea on what activities are "typically" on the ship. 

The Link Below is from a live post from the Bliss' sister, the Encore last week. It has current menu prices. 

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

Welcome to NCL! And welcome to Cruise Critic. 

Thermal suite passes are sold at the discretion of the spa and usually only on slow port days. Because of the location of the Thermal Suite on the Bliss, it can accommodate fewer patrons than some of the other ships. Prices vary. On the Encore last week, day passes were $79.

Hotels are a personal choice. We stay at The Charter Hotel Seattle, Curio Collection by Hilton. It is a block from Pike Place Market (which overlooks Pier 88 where the Bliss will dock). 

You have been charged the gratuity for your Free at Sea dining package, if you opted in. When you show up for dinner, you can order multiple appetizers, one entrée, and desserts. There is zero money due at time of dining unless you pick an menu item that calls out an upcharge. 

There are three main dining rooms, the Manhattan Room (biggest), and Taste and Savor which are smaller. They all have the same menu. Select any of the three. Freestyle dining says come when you are hungry or it fits your schedule. We like the Manhattan Room because it is bigger. 

The link below was for the inaugural sailing of the Bliss after being christened. The menus and prices are old. But you'll see a few pics of the ship and a few Freestyle Dailies to give you an idea on what activities are "typically" on the ship. 

The Link Below is from a live post from the Bliss' sister, the Encore last week. It has current menu prices. 

Bird travels. I thought it was pier 66. I hope so, we are staying at Marrott right across the street from that pier. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bryresangel said:

Hello fellow travelers!

On Cruise critic after you select Norwegian cruise line there is an down arrow you can select ship. Lots of info on the Bliss, also you can look at You tubes

• Like 1

7 hours ago, debenson0723 said:

Been on the Bliss 3 times...my favorite NCL ship.

I've been on twice (including once where I met Deb!), I also love the ship and think it's my favorite of the ones I've sailed so far but I've only been on one other NCL ship.

The rest has been covered comprehensively by Deb and by @BirdTravels  I just want to echo the love for the Observation Lounge and The Waterfront.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, drumming cruisers said:

Bird travels. I thought it was pier 66. I hope so, we are staying at Marrott right across the street from that pier. 

Yes, it’s Pier 66, across from the Marriott. 

A Bliss/Encore tip for Alaska: the outdoor seating for the Garden Cafe is just outside the exit doors by the GC entrances. The outdoor area has overhead heaters so don’t hesitate to dine outside even in Alaska! The pool is heated as well. 

• Like 2