Medical implants

robindina

A question for anyone traveling with medical implants.    My brother has a medical implanted stimulator for his back.  He has a card that shows that he has one when going through medal detectors and security at an airport.   Does he need anything else for carnival?   Does anyone have experience with these?  

11 minutes ago, AtSeaWithChris said:

The card would be all that’s needed if it comes up. 

I'm curious as to how you know the card will be all he needs. If I were the OP I would feel much better if it were a case of first hand knowledge on a cruise. While I believe the card works for TSA what about on Carnival ships or foreign ports?

And for the OP. Doesn't he have a remote to turn the stimulator on and off. My sister-in-law has two DBS brain stimulators due to Parkinson's and has a remote to adjust or turn them on or off. She occasionally has to turn them back on when shopping since many stores have devices looking for tags on shoplifted items and it isn't always obvious they are there. Those things can turn off her stimulators.

26 minutes ago, icft said:

I'm curious as to how you know the card will be all he needs. If I were the OP I would feel much better if it were a case of first hand knowledge on a cruise. While I believe the card works for TSA what about on Carnival ships or foreign ports?

And for the OP. Doesn't he have a remote to turn the stimulator on and off. My sister-in-law has two DBS brain stimulators due to Parkinson's and has a remote to adjust or turn them on or off. She occasionally has to turn them back on when shopping since many stores have devices looking for tags on shoplifted items and it isn't always obvious they are there. Those things can turn off her stimulators.

I have cervical fusion and never had a problem. The machines are the same or older versions of what are used by TSA. It won’t be a problem. 

• Like 1

Just saying... cervical fusion and stimulators are two different things. Stimulators are implanted battery powered electronic devices that induce electrical impulses into nerves or the brain. Cervical fusion is joining spinal bones using screws, plates and the like. Metal detectors won't affect the hardware of a cervical fusion but can turn off an electronic stimulator. Just want it to be clear to the OP.

• Like 1

My daughter has a VNS (vagus nerve stimulator) to help control seizures.  Have never been asked for a card - even at airports, or in foreign countries.  I have a pacemaker, and cannot go through most security scanners.  Also have never been asked to show a card - except in Rome, trying to get into Coliseum.  Carnival is wonderful.  I either go around the security scanner and then get patted down, or they turn it off so I can go through, then pat me down.  Have never been asked for "proof" that I have an implant. (though I can always show them my scar!). I do always carry the cards we were issued by implant companies just in case, and always wear medical alert bracelets.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, robindina said:

A question for anyone traveling with medical implants.    My brother has a medical implanted stimulator for his back.  He has a card that shows that he has one when going through medal detectors and security at an airport.   Does he need anything else for carnival?   Does anyone have experience with these?  

I have a family member with an implant and they've never in last 10 years of cruising had to show anything - just simply inform security ahead of time that they're unable to go through metal detectors and been taken an alternative side route. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, robindina said:

My husband has the same stimulator. They will wand him. They do it to hubby everytime.

Just had my stimulator implanted in January and my March cruise on the Dream was the first time going through security except at the court house were I know all the security  officers. I just told TSA agent at the cruise port I had an implanted device and they had me go to the handicap line and was patted down while they scanned my carry on, getting back on ship just told them and they had  me go around and patted me down. No problems at all.

4 hours ago, roguebandit said:

Just had my stimulator implanted in January and my March cruise on the Dream was the first time going through security except at the court house were I know all the security  officers. I just told TSA agent at the cruise port I had an implanted device and they had me go to the handicap line and was patted down while they scanned my carry on, getting back on ship just told them and they had  me go around and patted me down. No problems at all.

We are going on the Dream in Galveston also, so good to know.   Out of curiosity, what excursions if any did you do. 

Just off HAL.  My sister has a similar device.  We were concerned for airport and xrays to get on board.

Security was great.  Never asked to see the card.  They had a female officer pat her down.

No worries.

It is so easy to replicate a phony implant card, any kid near a computer can do one. That's why the cards are rarely asked for.  Think about all the phony COVID vaccination cards being sold online.

More reliable for security to use are advanced image technology scanners.  The manufacturer of any implanted device should alert the user to any issues - if not, phone the surgeon's office prior to travel.  Check about old fashioned metal detectors as well, since many travel firms and countries still use them instead of newer tech.

Edited by evandbob

On 4/21/2022 at 6:10 PM, robindina said:

We are going on the Dream in Galveston also, so good to know.   Out of curiosity, what excursions if any did you do. 

We don't do excursions, if want to spend time in that area we will book and stay at a resort and have a week to explore on our own without all the crowds and rules with group excursions.

I always tell them up front that it's gonna set off an alarm, and it's going to be my two prosthetic hips and one prosthetic knee. They wand those areas in particular, and I pass through. Never had any issues.