Honest reviews on MDR beef dishes?

baelor

On 4/21/2022 at 9:44 AM, baelor said:

Thanks.  I think our inclination at this point is to skip Chops and opt for 150 CP, Wonderland, and a third restaurant (maybe either Jamie's or Hooked).

Welcome to cruising!  Hope you have a great time.  All these return cruisers let you know that food has not kept them from returning to the sea.  (I am sure there are many people whose dining experiences made cruising a been-there, done that experience).

I have only done one RC cruise (without doing specialty dining), but have read lots of reviews in preparation for a cancelled cruise and it’s replacement next month.

I could join you in your choices.  Generalized review: 150CP seems to be the winner (where available) over Chops. Wonderland has people saying they liked the food but thought it was over-hyped. But they loved the beef and the World dessert. Not a lot of reviews of Hooked. Maybe it’s not on so many ships? (Or the ones I’ve considered).  Jamie’s seems to be love it or hate it. Where Giovanni’s has replaced Jamie’s, people seem happier.  (Maybe it’s a British chef v. Italian name that leads to an expectation.)

I’ve opted for buying just one Specialty meal on my upcoming cruise - Jamie’s for lunch.  I know it will be too much food, but I will just eat what I want (but knowing I will get four courses).  I ate at a Jamie’s Italian in England and am going to one at sea; I expect to be satisfied.

And the best steaks I have had at sea have come from Italian restaurants on Disney and Norwegian.  

I cannot believe they call that aberration in the photo beef stroganoff.  At least not as Americans know it.  Where is the sour cream sauce smothering everything?  (I am so thankful people post photos on the internet.)

I appreciate hearing that food preparation in a restaurant can change within a week - and even at the same table.  Despite food preferences being so subjective -  you can realize that people’s less favorable reviews might have been different with a different piece of meat.

Bon Voyage and Bon Appetit!

Liberty hotel guy offered my Mdr table Sabors for $18 pp. He tried hard to sell this special deal, not much more than the price of a drink he said. No takers at less than half price.

You dont read much about Sabors, maybe it's not on many ship. People love the guacamole and the dessert tray lots of choices. The feedback on the entrees even with expanded menu choices now seems luke warm but maybe it's because I'm out of texas as texas has a lot of mexican food. 

On 4/21/2022 at 4:53 PM, baelor said:

I agree--my steak/pork/fish is all medium rare; ground meats are medium.  Except chicken.  

I won't--I love lamb!  And goat, but I have not seen that on the menus.

Lamb Wellington at 150CP (It was good) Large portion (Harmony), on Oasis portion was 1/2 the size.

Lamb Chops at Jamie's (Will cook them as you like them), she said they were good.

Sorry you can’t see the cut of meat, we always take before touched photos 😉

The DW is the sheep expert, but I tried the Wellington at 150CP and I enjoyed it.

89B7BE97-70AD-42AC-B2F2-17DABB5269F8.jpeg

88FD3F6D-A179-4FC6-B82C-9696A0E6F921.jpeg

Edited by PompeySailor

I know you got plenty of responses already, but in my opinion, the best dishes in the MDR are: beef tenderloin, beef short rib, lamb chop, and of course, lobster.  Note that if you order beef tenderloin or lobster when it is not on the menu, there is an upcharge.