The Key was worth every penny to us - 3-night Freedom of the Seas

Just took our second RCCL cruise and our first using The Key program.  I debated getting it but am so glad we did.  I know many people said it isn't worth it, but for us it was worth every penny.

- First,  it was just a 3 night cruise for 5 people (2 adults, 2 teenagers and my mom). (3 interior promenade cabins)

- 21.99pp, pd - originally it was 29.99, but I saw a price drop and snagged the lower price.

- We were going to do the surf and stream for everyone anyway so this was just $1 pp,pd more

- 11:30 am boarding!  Literally some of the first guests on board.   This gained us 2 hours on the ship as we had 1:30 boarding, which with a 3 day cruise is huge.  I kept checking up until the day before to see if earlier times opened up and they never did.

- Luncheon in the MDR with the Chops Grille abbreviated menu was outstanding!  One of the best filets I've ever had.   Very relaxing, had a bottle of wine, a nice round top table by the window and no stress of carrying trays and carry-on bags with huge crowds.  Just a handful of other Key guests up on Deck 5.

- Nice to be able to drop some of our bags just outside the restaurant and have them sent to the cabin.

- Day 2 - Fruit bowls arrived in each of our cabins from The Key.  Not necessary but a nice touch

- Dedicated time for ice skating.   My son and husband had the ice to themselves for the first 30 minutes.

- Flowrider! This was incredible.  Our son tried this and loved it.  Basically had a private lesson for an entire hour with 3 staff members who rotated who taught.  There was literally one other person using the Flowrider during The Key private hour.   This private lesson in itself we felt paid for the They Key for 3 days.  At non-Key times, the line was huge!  We did not do the Rock Climbing.

- Seating for shows!  We walked into Studio B for the ice show (which was very crowded) at 8:25 for an 8:30 show.  Mentioned we were with The Key and before I could finish she said right this way!  They had three rows of seats for us to choose from.  Introduced us to the next person who worked there and said they are with The Key program and he sat us down in great seats that are held for The Key guests.    Around 8:28 they released the seats to anyone else that wanted them.  This was a nice perk as we were running from dinner to get to the show.  We did not use this perk in the Royal Theater as it wasn't crowded and we just found some seats.

- Disembarkation.   Loved the relaxing pace of the Key.  Breakfast was available in the MDR on Deck 5 for Key guests from 6:30-8:30 (they checked cards).  I guess other guests can eat in the MDR until 8 but on a different deck.     We headed there around 8:15, had a leisurely breakfast and then walked off the ship when we were ready around 9am.

Overall, we decided for a 3-night cruise the Key is worth it.  I can see how it can get very expensive and not worth it on a longer cruise.  But for us, it was just perfect.

Edited by travelbug4
  • Like 6

we just upgraded to the key for allure next month. we figured it worked out to $58 more per person, than the two-device surf and stream. and for a 6 night cruise, at less than $10 a day, it's worth it for the early boarding and reserved seating. we have UDP, so we'll be skipping the welcome lunch, but we're thrilled for the rest. we did the key on Harmony a few years ago, and thought the benefits were worth it there as well.

When you calculate the cost of Surf & Stream how do you do it? 

As an individual purchase for each passenger or 

As a single purchase for multiple devices?

Because a Surf & Stream package for two devices for 7 nights on Symphony on June cost me about $222 total. And the Key for two runs about $400 for two people (almost double).

If I compare it to two seperate Surf & Stream package then its a whole different story, about $300 in total for both vs $400 Key for 2, but again, why would I buy two separate internet packages when I can buy one with two devices included for less money?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, carlosalonsor said:

If I compare it to two seperate Surf & Stream package then its a whole different story, about $300 in total for both vs $400 Key for 2, but again, why would I buy two separate internet packages when I can buy one with two devices included for less money?

The value proposition for everyone is different as is the justification and comparisons to seem to make it worth it. The OP could have just as easily bought a 2-3 device package at half the cost and made it work. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

The value proposition for everyone is different as is the justification and comparisons to seem to make it worth it. The OP could have just as easily bought a 2-3 device package at half the cost and made it work. 

Exactly. I’m not judging the OP choices. 
I’m only trying to understand why some people see this as a “no brainer”, when doing the numbers really doesn’t seems to. 

Edited by carlosalonsor
  • Like 1

Just now, carlosalonsor said:

I’m only trying to understand why some people see this as a “no brainer”. 

Because they compare the individual daily cost of single Stream packages against the Key and don't consider a multi device package cost (or fewer device package).

• Thanks 1

I just got an email update for the Key for my cruise leaving in 15 days (solo traveler 3 night cruise on Freedom and paid only $17.99 a day).

Says the complimentary room service is still included. So I might take advantage of that.

• Complimentary room service for your entire cruise, along with 25% off all onboard dining purchases!
Edited by twins_to_alaska

Totally crazy to me people find the key a value. I can’t imagine 5 people all needing their own internet. U can share. Boarding is so easy without key. To get maybe 2 times in a week of extra time on flowrider is crazy. For a solo it’s completely justified but otherwise it’s crazy what people will spend on the key. I guess people don’t realize u can share the internet or pay less with a few devices. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, travelbug4 said:

- Luncheon in the MDR with the Chops Grille abbreviated menu was outstanding!  One of the best filets I've ever had.   Very relaxing, had a bottle of wine, a nice round top table by the window and no stress of carrying trays and carry-on bags with huge crowds.  Just a handful of other Key guests up on Deck 5.

There are no trays on Royal Caribbean.