April 15th thru 20th - my life as a Mega Rockstar

tde1969

On 4/28/2022 at 9:23 AM, Omgirl said:

Did you get to see the bridge or any “secret” bars or events? Looking forward to the rest of your review. The info and detail is so helpful!

The speak easy was closed during our sailing.  We were offered a bridge tour by our roadie.

On 4/28/2022 at 12:50 PM, godzukihop said:

How was Richard's Roof Top?

We really liked it.  It was nice to have the hot tubs up there.  I really wish they would have added a pool.  The bar was great and never busy!

10 hours ago, jldixon62 said:

Thanks for the great review!  Did they have a sail away party at 7?

We were told to be up at Richards around 6:00 pm for free champagne and the sail away.  For what ever reason, we did not leave out on time and we had to head to get ready for dinner at Wake.

• Like 1

Sorry for the delay but someone had to go back to work this week!!

So we woke up and were pulling into the port Puerto Plata. The views were amazing from the balcony so we asked David to bring us our mochas and we hung out on the balcony to watch the ship dock.  I really wanted as much time as possible on the boat so I had not booked any excursions.  The port itself is fairly new and they are really working hard to build it up with shops.  There also is a great pool/beach club right as you walk off the dock.  It's all free of course except food and drinks but no admission to use the pool or set up on the beach.  It's not really a beach but still nice lounge chairs and beautiful views.  The shops were great with all kind of traditional type souvenirs, diamonds international, alcohol, and clothes.  We found some great bathing suits at a good price and t-shirts for the godsons back home.  We walked down to the taxi stand and were going to go into town but the taxi drivers were very aggressive and I just didn't feel up to it.  We heard later that you really need to be careful as far as someone walking with you and next thing you know, they think they are your tour guide and start demanding money and causing quite the scene.  There are armed guards everywhere.  We were told they come out for the cruise ships.  This could make you feel more comfortable or less.  We were also told to stay only on the main streets no side streets.  

At this point, I wanted lunch and so we headed back to the Lady.  We went to the galley and went to the panini station.  These were amazing.  I grabbed the shrimp salad panini and hubby grabbed the turkey and swiss.  These really are not to be missed.  

We decided to hit the pool.  I really liked the big lounge beds that surround the pool.  They are so comfortable and just so easy to slide off into the water when it gets too hot.  On this day, I discovered the Ketel One  Vodka Spritz.  I'm always looking for some low carb drink and these are perfect.  They have the cucumber and mint, the peach and the grapefruit.  They are the perfect drink by the pool, refreshing and clean.  They also have the corresponding vodka if you want an extra shot added to the spritzer.  I enjoyed these so much and mentioned it to David, so he added them to the fridge so we could enjoy them on the balcony.  

We headed to get ready for dinner and had David grab our clothes to press them for the night.  We had met a bunch of people by the pool and asked David if we could add them for our dinner reservation at Extra Virgin.  He said of course and took our table of two to a table of eight.  Love being a rockstar.  As I mentioned, I had been without pasta leading up to this cruise, so it was on for this dinner.  The waiter suggested ordering a serving or two of each pasta for the table. What, did you really just suggest that I order all the Pastas!!!  Please make sure that you do this.  The Pasta's are really not to be missed and you should at least sample each one.  The carbonara and the gnocchi were the highlights for me!  We also grabbed some of the brussel sprouts just to add a veggie and they were quite tasty.  I really would skip the mains for the meal.  I ordered the sea bass and it was good but I wish I would have just had more of the pasta!!  Also remember as a mega, you can order wine by the bottle up to to like $90.00.  We ordered a couple of bottles for the table so that everyone could enjoy.  Nothing like good pasta and Italian wine!

We had plans to go to Duel Reality!  This was probably my favorite show on the cruise.  It's supposed to be Romeo and Juliet as a Cirque du soleil format.  I really enjoyed it! Just the sheer athleticism of the performers was amazing.  Keep in mind it's a Cirque show so it's a lose interpretation of Romeo and Juliet but really just amazing.  This is one of those shows that you don't want to be front row and break you neck looking up the entire show, so come a little later or just try to get seated up on the top rows.  

Another shameless plug for Sip bar and Eugene, I loved after the show running  and grabbing either an espresso martini or a chocolate martini.  This was always the jolt that I need to get me going again.  We then headed to the manor where the hype crew was there to get everyone on the dance floor.  Some of the Hype guys proceed to take their shirts off and bump and grind!  We danced for a good hour and the DJ was really good about judging the crowd and playing music that those of us in our 40's and 50's and up would know.  If you have been following so far, you probably know what time it is!!!!! Pizza!!!!  We all cha-cha our way off the dance floor and head to get Pizza before bedtime.

20220417_113544.jpg

20220417_114355.jpg

20220417_094608.jpg

20220417_143406.jpg

20220417_210035.jpg

• Like 5

16 hours ago, janbear said:

Have  you booked another cruise with Virgin yet @tde1969?

Not yet, we have a 12 day New Zealand with Celebrity in October and a 14 day Antarctica in February and then a 14 day Iceland with Norwegian in September 23.  I really like the product but we are just slammed because of the whole covid backup of cruises.  

I enjoyed reading your experience! I just upgraded to a Gorgeous on our TransAtlantic voyage, and am wondering if you can talk about the "bar tab" and how that works - does it work for juices and premium espresso drinks in addition to alcohol? I think I read there's a limit, but can't find it.

Also, did you utilize the laundry service that's complimentary for Mega guests? How did you find that benefit? 

43 minutes ago, FoxCrane said:

I enjoyed reading your experience! I just upgraded to a Gorgeous on our TransAtlantic voyage, and am wondering if you can talk about the "bar tab" and how that works - does it work for juices and premium espresso drinks in addition to alcohol? I think I read there's a limit, but can't find it.

Also, did you utilize the laundry service that's complimentary for Mega guests? How did you find that benefit? 

The only bar tab limit I found was on the bottles of wine.  We nightly would order rounds of shots or drinks for those with us and never had any issue at all.  It really was nice to "pick up the tab" for our friends.  

We loved having our clothes sent out nightly to be pressed.  We also sent out the majority of our clothes to the laundry in that we were getting off the ship and heading to a conference in New Orleans.  Everything came back all fresh and cleaned and ready for our trip.  

3 hours ago, FoxCrane said:

All drinks up to $25 are covered, there are some high end spirits that exceed that limit. The pairings at Test Kitchen, Shot for Shot, and I believe the Grog Walk are not covered in the Mega Rockstar bar tap as they are priced above $25. As for a total limit VV has only said within reason. 

12 hours ago, FoxCrane said:

I have read that the bar tab covers drinks up to $25 per glass, 2 bottles of wine up to $90 each. If the drink or bottle is over the allowed amount you pay the full price, not just the difference. From what I understand all premium drinks are included - so pressed juices & specialty coffees. Grog Walk & Shot for Shot have to be paid for. In a mega rockstar suite they will also refill the in room mini bar for you.

I expect to use the laundry service, it will be lovely to come home without dirty laundry!!

We have a Gorgeous suite at the end of this month - I cannot wait!

• 1 month later...
On 4/22/2022 at 11:13 PM, tde1969 said:

We realized the only thing we needed was champagne so we called David.  He said of course we could have champagne in the spa.  Please take advantage of this.

Firstly, great review!! We are booked in Dec-22 on the same boat and same room. In regards to champagne, I assume Champagne bottles are over the $90 mark so when you ordered like the above it was billed to your room? 

Second question - how do they know your mega rockstar v rockstar? 

And last question! Was David dedicated to you, all all rooms in the mega rockstar area? 

14 minutes ago, rebeccac said:

I would imagine they know your status through the wrist band.  

Thanks! are they different colours then? Or they scan your wrist each time you order a drink? 

I don't know for sure (we board in 9 days), but as far as I am aware the bands for regular rooms are red and for all suites are black.  So, likely they will scan you band, at least until the bartenders get to know you.  🙂

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, rebeccac said:

I don't know for sure (we board in 9 days), but as far as I am aware the bands for regular rooms are red and for all suites are black.  So, likely they will scan you band, at least until the bartenders get to know you.  🙂

Just read on another blog they maybe Gold, but not confirmed 

1 minute ago, AndyUK said:

Just read on another blog they maybe Gold, but not confirmed 

here if interested... https://cruisewithamber.co.uk/best-suites-on-virgin-voyages/ 

"In total there are only 15 Mega RockStar Quarters on board each ship. All Mega RockStar suits sleep up to 4 people. Mega Rockstar sailors receive a gold version of The Band’ (on board wallet and room key) which also acts as the VIP pass for Mega RockStar Suite Sailors to enter Richard’s Rooftop. Even at full capacity there will only be a maximum of 60 Mega RockStar sailors on board. Quite an exclusive club."

On 6/29/2022 at 5:27 AM, AndyUK said:

Firstly, great review!! We are booked in Dec-22 on the same boat and same room. In regards to champagne, I assume Champagne bottles are over the $90 mark so when you ordered like the above it was billed to your room? 

Second question - how do they know your mega rockstar v rockstar? 

And last question! Was David dedicated to you, all all rooms in the mega rockstar area? 

We were mega rockstars at the end of May - and also had David as our roadie, he is so lovely.

Drinks up to $25 glass & 2 bottles of wine per cabin per day up to $90 are included. Anything over the limits is charged in FULL to your room. So Moet by the glass is $21, by the bottle it's $95. I had actually planned to Shake for Champagne once onboard & pay for it - but at sail away discovered that hubby & I don't like Moet champagne, Veuve is the one we like!!

Every time you order something that has  a charge - alcohol, specialty coffee etc your wristband is scanned. We had a black wristband with red dots, and it seems like all rockstars had the same, no differential for mega. Regular sailors had red wristbands.

When we were on board David had 5 cabins to look after.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, britincanada said:

We were mega rockstars at the end of May - and also had David as our roadie, he is so lovely.

Drinks up to $25 glass & 2 bottles of wine per cabin per day up to $90 are included. Anything over the limits is charged in FULL to your room. So Moet by the glass is $21, by the bottle it's $95. I had actually planned to Shake for Champagne once onboard & pay for it - but at sail away discovered that hubby & I don't like Moet champagne, Veuve is the one we like!!

Every time you order something that has  a charge - alcohol, specialty coffee etc your wristband is scanned. We had a black wristband with red dots, and it seems like all rockstars had the same, no differential for mega. Regular sailors had red wristbands.

Great feedback, thank you!! 

So you can have to up to 2 bottles a day, and I assume as many ( with reasonable limits)  up to 25$ drinks per glass? 

Assume the special  coffee can be classed  under bar tab? 

27 minutes ago, britincanada said:

…... We had a black wristband with red dots, and it seems like all rockstars had the same, no differential for mega. Regular sailors had red wristbands.

Mega rockstar band has a gold anchor clasp, while rockstar one has silver.  Both bands are black..

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bxmt54 said:

Totally off topic but very important to me.  Does the ship have Coke or Pepsi products?  You know how they say it’s the little things that count..?😉

Coke, a thousand people have already asked and answered this.

On 7/2/2022 at 11:31 AM, FlyingCruiser2 said:

Mega rockstar band has a gold anchor clasp, while rockstar one has silver.  Both bands are black..

FYI the gold comes off after a day at the beach/pool, nobody can tell the difference anyway.

On 7/2/2022 at 11:31 AM, FlyingCruiser2 said:

Hmm...not sure what happened when we checked in then, both of ours have silver anchors and we were mega rockstars.