Please help a Tennessee girl out.

mrsheat391

We are sailing on Oceania Regatta to Alaska in May. Would someone be so kind as to help me understand the attire that Oceania suggests? This zoo keeper has no idea what country club casual refers to. 

I understand what is required for dinning, however can I wear my jeans around the ship? 

Thank you for any help you can give. 

41 minutes ago, mrsheat391 said:

We are sailing on Oceania Regatta to Alaska in May. Would someone be so kind as to help me understand the attire that Oceania suggests? This zoo keeper has no idea what country club casual refers to. 

I understand what is required for dinning, however can I wear my jeans around the ship? 

Thank you for any help you can give. 

Short answer, yes. 

In our sailings to Alaska, I take a pair of  jeans, yoga pants, trail pants and shorts.  This provides me with what I need for the excursions or daily life on the ship, outside of the evening dining venues, which it sounds like you have covered . 

The key to Alaska, in my opinion, is layers, layers, layers.   Enjoy your cruise!!!  Alaska is a cruise we could take every year. 

Changeable is the operative word for the weather.  That means, “wait 20 minutes and it will change” 🤪

There will be an umbrella in your stateroom for your use but if you want to carry something less bulky on a tour you can carry some smaller sized umbrella in a backpack. There will also be a Blue Oceania carry bag in your room for you to take things on tour with you and it is yours to keep. When you get to the glaciers, be prepared it can be beautiful sunshine or not, AND  cold. 

YES, layers and waterproof! 
Have a fantastic trip on Regatta.

Mauibabes

1 hour ago, mauibabes said:

Changeable is the operative word for the weather.  That means, “wait 20 minutes and it will change” 🤪

There will be an umbrella in your stateroom for your use but if you want to carry something less bulky on a tour you can carry some smaller sized umbrella in a backpack. There will also be a Blue Oceania carry bag in your room for you to take things on tour with you and it is yours to keep. When you get to the glaciers, be prepared it can be beautiful sunshine or not, AND  cold. 

YES, layers and waterproof! 
Have a fantastic trip on Regatta.

Mauibabes

Thank you! We are prepared for waterproof, and actually have purchased some small umbrellas. 

4 hours ago, mrsheat391 said:

Thank you so much! I was at a total loss. I knew I would need layers and good waterproof shoes for excursions. 

FWIW: jeans are a bad choice for travel in general: heavy, not quick-drying, etc. For activities like tours and daytime ship activities, consider light-weight/quick drying convertible pants/shorts (e.g., hiking varieties you’ll find at REI).

• Like 1

6 hours ago, mrsheat391 said:

Thank you so much! I was at a total loss. I knew I would need layers and good waterproof shoes for excursions. 

From a long experience in Alaska.....  DO not wear cotton pants or shirts    It is a cold damp climate and Cotton will be a sponge for moisture..... both from the air and from your own body.    It will sap your strength      Wear breathable  synthetics    Gortex  and stuff like that     non breathable fabrics will stew you in your own body sweat...      A knit cap or pile     is important     Pile or wool  good insulator.   Yes I  in your water proof shoes  make em' at least ankle high   non slip sole     Wear wool sox... tall    summer is tic season in AK....     Include Rain protection   as mentioned the breathes....Go to REI and check out stuff....       Cotton is a killer in AK     literally  !!!

It rains a LOT in AK      Sign in Ketchikan  "Welcome to Ketchikan rain festival  Jan1 -Dec 31"  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Hawaiidan said:

From a long experience in Alaska.....  DO not wear cotton pants or shirts    It is a cold damp climate and Cotton will be a sponge for moisture..... both from the air and from your own body.    It will sap your strength      Wear breathable  synthetics    Gortex  and stuff like that     non breathable fabrics will stew you in your own body sweat...      A knit cap or pile     is important     Pile or wool  good insulator.   Yes I  in your water proof shoes  make em' at least ankle high   non slip sole     Wear wool sox... tall    summer is tic season in AK....     Include Rain protection   as mentioned the breathes....Go to REI and check out stuff....       Cotton is a killer in AK     literally  !!!

It rains a LOT in AK      Sign in Ketchikan  "Welcome to Ketchikan rain festival  Jan1 -Dec 31"  

From someone who lives and hikes in Oregon you are spot on.   However I have been on 2 Alaska cruises now. One in June and one in August.   It never rained.  🙂  🙂 

• Like 3

Some people are lucky 🤞. I normally carry my golf rain suit on every cruise and put it in my backpack on the days when rain is predicted so I can be protected if necessary. Actually only once in Norway have I ever been caught in the rains, besides in Alaska. 

We almost drowned in the rain once and that was just in the line waiting to get back on our Princess ship. That convinced us long ago, small ship cruising was for us, no long lines.

If you are up to a “Flight seeing trip” in Ketchikan, consider contacting Island Wings. We have gone with them twice out to the lake and fjords, Michelle is an excellent pilot, over 30 years up in AK. 
Mauibabes

• Like 1

Currently on Regatta albeit a South Pacific itinerary, I’ll offer no opinion regarding attire ashore, it seems to me a zookeeper will have useful insight on this point.  

As to attire in the dining room I’ll say:  We’ve observed a wide variety of attire on the ladies.  A few dresses and skirts, but far more capris and the likes on which DW relies heavily and has never felt out of place.  Jeans are a no no though I wonder whether this is enforced by protocol or simply good behavior amongst fellow travelers.

I’ve been more impressed with Terrace Cafe than I anticipated and would emphasize that little or nothing is lost taking occasional meals in this more casual alternative, I can imagine it getting heavy usage on an Alaska itinerary.  Most anything goes here as to attire with the exception of swim wear.

1 hour ago, jondfk said:

.  Jeans are a no no though I wonder whether this is enforced by protocol

Jeans are fine   just not for dinner in the restaurants

On cool weather cruises you would probably see more

When we did north Norway I wore jeans daily   the exception was to dinner where I did wear dress slacks

I would never wear capris  but that is just me

3 hours ago, davencl said:

From someone who lives and hikes in Oregon you are spot on.   However I have been on 2 Alaska cruises now. One in June and one in August.   It never rained.  🙂  🙂 

odds  are it will.... the banana belt south of Juneau is a "rain forest"