Part LXXII - Installment Travelogue: Cruising With the Mothers, Maasdam - Poetry

chesterh

This is part 22 of the Maasdam story and part 72 in a series of travelogues covering the cruise adventures of the "X" family. The chapter is stored on my website - follow the link below.

The writer's block seems to be receding, but Kris has announced plans for my services tomorrow. So much for momentum...

Click here for a complete table of contents to this story.

From the previous episode:

A couple rounded the bend and walked right past the line. Near the door to the theater, they were met and questioned by a staffer who rifled through a stack of paper before waving the couple into the room. On a hunch, I broke rank and approached the staffer.

“May I help you?” she asked.

Part 22 (72) - Poetry

for chapter 22

Hi Chester----- Figured the snowstorm would keep you in tonight!! Not at all surprised to see another chapter. Can you tell me where on the dial I can get Garrison?? We were on a camping trip a few years back traveling down to Virginia when I found him on the radio on a Sunday morning. We listened to him for two hours and laughed all the way!

I'm anxious to find out just what was ailing you on that cruise! Hope the family has recovered from the flu. Get that snowblower out tomorrow morning and have fun!! Nancy

Hi Chester-----

I'm anxious to find out just what was ailing you on that cruise! Hope the family has recovered from the flu. Get that snowblower out tomorrow morning and have fun!! Nancy

I haven't been able to get this mysterious ailment off my mind since Chester first mentioned it. I am thinking more about it lately than getting my taxes done - lol. With this chapter we are one step closer to finding out what it is/was. Good thing I was born with patience - yeah right!!

Thanks for the new chapter, keep them coming.

Chester, it's so good to have you back even though Kris demands your attention tomorrow. We're to the point we'll take what we can get. I've missed you terribly and would really like to know WHAT THE HECK is wrong with you.:confused: :confused: :confused:

Garry

Glad the "block" has vanished. Really, one little song, perhaps the Prayer, from Les Mis Les wouldn't have been that bad. Sorry about that, it's probably my all time favorite musical.

It's definitely time you did something more that hot showers for that head ache!

Hi chestah & Kris:)

After all your hard work on chapters for the insatiable, I think Kris deserves your services for more than tomorrow. That's not to say I haven't missed you.

So much for spring flowers blooming at the beginning of February. We've now got over four and a half feet of snow (not snowbanks) in the back yard. With another 4 to 6 inches expected tonight and double that for the daytime.

Now, this 2:30 a.m. affliction -- by any chance does it only occur when you lie down? Failing that, it's almost like a continuous release medication -- except you seem to be getting the full blast all at once, not mini doses every hour.

Glad you're back. Take care.

"Turry"

Nancy - NHPR runs the show live on Saturday evenings, 6-8 p.m., and it is re-run beginning at 11 a.m. on Sunday morning. We hear it on 89.1 out of Concord, but it looks like your best bet is 103.9 (Portsmouth) or 104.3 (Dover). The snow was so light, I used the leaf blower and left the snowblower in the garage.

Host Kat >^..^<, it is an honor to meet you. It's not often that I hear from a host, especially one with such a unique signature.

Sandy, I promise to help you exercise your patience.

Garry, the mystery grows deeper still...

Barb - My lasting impression of Les Mis comes mainly from Kris. She's a pretty tough nut, but is reduced to tears every time she plays the CD. It's a family hallmark...

"Turry," we still don't have much snow, and most of what fell blew from our yard to parts unknown. Kris wanted to go to the pet store on Saturday for a new birdcage (for our spoiled brat of a cockatoo, who ripped the welded bars right off his old cage). It was just beginning to snow, and I said that it would be unwise to risk life and limb for such a trip. A few hours later, I printed pictures from the 50 car pileup on the highway that would have taken us to the pet store.

Regarding the ailment and horizontal positioning - the answer will be evident in the next chapter.

All the best,

chesterh

Chester, I leave 3 weeks from Saturday for a cruise to Hawaii for 2 weeks. As a mother, I really hate to leave when you're not feeling good. Please let this mother know how you're doing.rofl.gif

Garry

Angel...those Italians do have noggins on them, however I have not seen any cause the pressure changes. I have to go back to the sinuses being the culprit.

Chester I also leave on the same cruise as Garry in three weeks:D You know how expensive those minutes are on board the ship. Give us a break and tell us so that we might enjoy the cruise and not have to worry about you.:D

Nancy

Dear Mothers,

It’s been a long road, but I’m doing well and life has returned to something resembling normalcy. I am eternally grateful that, even though he had never seen a case in 25 years of practice, Dr. “C” persevered and finally figured it out—what a relief for all of us that it was not among the most ominous possibilities! Episodes are infrequent now, and I have a good supply of the “miracle drug” courtesy of the doctor’s sales rep.

Mothers Garry and Nancy, I hope you have a fantastic voyage. I’m mystified as to why neither mother “Turry” (whose attempts at diagnosis were interesting, but off the mark) nor I were invited along, but I’ll not hold it against you. Family is precious.

All the best,

chester

Good heavens, Chester.:eek: We don't sail for 3 weeks. Are you already making excuses??? If things are fine then get to work and give us at least 2 more chapters before we leave. I write this even though I feel a nasty cold coming on. I'll need something to warm me while rapped in tissues.:rolleyes:

By the way, I'm glad that you're feeling better.:D :D :D

Garry

Chester...I could leave one of my sons home...but they might object to that idea. I have to live with them. You are out of luck on this cruise.

Now getting back to the subject at hand, where is the diagnosis? Where is the next installment? I am so glad that your ailment has gotten better. At least I won't have to worry about you the whole time we are in Hawaii! I will schedule a couple of sea days to look through my old nursing books. I just hope they don't put my suitcases over the 50 pound weight limit. The things one must do for cyber friends.

Don't you worry though...

Nancy

Dear Mothers,...but I’m doing well and life has returned to something resembling normalcy. ...mother “Turry” (whose attempts at diagnosis were interesting, but off the mark) ...

chester

Dear Son,:D

I'm so glad to hear of the improvement in your condition. Pain is such a downer. As to my diagnosis -- I've spent many (49+) years in Otolaryngologist's waiting rooms. Misery loves company and people sitting for extended times (waiting for the Dr.) tend to talk. Some of the other patients I met described symptoms similar to yours. Those PT's with the more extreme symptoms were frequently diagnosed w/ deviated septum. So I googled Deviated Septum and among the gazillion sites that came up the first one was:

Under symptoms was:

"...At times,
facial pain
headaches
,..."

Further down the page:

"...The problem may result from a septal deviation, reactive edema (
swelling
) from the infected areas,
allergic problems
...."

Similar information was on other sites so I gave up my research after the 20th website. (I never did find a reference to .056% of Italians). I'm glad my diagnosis was off the mark, but now you know how I got to it.

"Mother T"

P.S. "Son" maybe we'll just have to plan a Group cruise and we'll invite all your mothers (biological and 'critic-al':)) as well as your 'critic-al' siblings.

Hi Chester,

Thanks so much for the new chapter. I was away last week and was hoping something new would be there when I returned. Since I have no medical background, I can't begin to guess what was ailing you. But I have been wondering why the heck you didn't see the doctor?

Just bought "Midnight Buffet" for some friends who will be sailing for the first time with us on the Zenith in June. It's such a great book to curl up with on cold New England nights. I'm sure they'll love it and get a glimpse of what their cruise will be like.

Looking forward to hearing what comes next on the Maasdam.

Sheila

Dear Son,:D

P.S. "Son" maybe we'll just have to plan a Group cruise and we'll invite all your mothers (biological and 'critic-al':)) as well as your 'critic-al' siblings.

Chester, you could probably get a free sailing out of this. A Chester cruise, think of the possiblities....maybe we could even get the martini bar to invent a new drink--the chestertini :)

Mother T - Nice detective work, but this one even stumped the pros. Stay tuned. I'm an old pro at pain, being the proud father of more than 3 dozen kidney stones. I must have been really bad in a previous life...

Sheila, I was too busy having fun (except for two hours each night) to see a doctor. That will change, though. Thanks for getting your friends the book - I hope their cruise is better than ours was.

skyview851, I'm all for it. Maybe I'll look into it, but not until I finish this story. Mothers Garry and Nancy would never forgive me.

chesterh

p.s. The next chapter is coming right up

Archived