How is A/C on Zuiderdam

liketraveling

I have read reviews on the Zuiderdam.  I have learned to take reviews with a grain of salt and every thing is subjective.

One thing that keeps popping up is the A/C doesn’t work properly.

Has anyone who has recently sailed on the Zuiderdam comment on the A/C.  

Thanks

The real question is, what constitutes "doesn't work properly"?  Is it the cabin temperature?  Which cabins?  Whose comfort level is determining "properly"?  Industry standard is that rooms be cooled to 68-72*F, so if 72 is too warm for you, the system is working properly, but not to your requirements.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On our 2 week Panama Canal trip from San Diego to Ft Lauderdale this past Jan we were pleasantly surprised at the condition of the Zuierdam. A 20+ year old ship usually has issues. But during the pandemic HAL looks to have upgraded and fixed many issues. It was in the best condition that I can remember and this was our 5th cruise on it since it was launched. The A/C was great. We would lower it at night and raised the temps when we got up. Always worked. 

• Thanks 1

We were aft-facing on deck 7 for April 3-13 and our AC was “adequate” for the warmth in Mexico. We kept it set at full cold the whole time. We also kept the drapes closed during the day when we were not in the cabin to protect from the sun. I’d have liked it a bit cooler, but it was fine. 

Compared to Koningsdam the week before, it wasn’t as powerful. On K, you could make it meat-locker cold if you wanted it that way. 

In January we spent 14 days in a verandah cabin that was on the sunny side of the ship almost the entire time. We had to keep the curtains closed when the sun was hitting the glass, and we kept the thermostat turned to its coldest position the entire cruise. We had requested a fan in the room when we booked the room, and we used it quite a bit.

Our traveling companions, on the other side of the ship, had no problem with their AC, and they tend to like it cooler than we do.

5 hours ago, trk_koa said:

We were aft-facing on deck 7 for April 3-13

We got off when you got on. We were also on Deck 7 cabin 7140. We only had  the sun shining in the cabin for a couple of days. 

Thanks everyone for your remarks.

My last Canal cruise was on the Maasdam from San Diego to Boston.  Allot of the cabins were having problems with the A/C.  When they gave us a fan it was comfortable.  We were fortunate to get a fan because not everyone did.

I liked everyone’s different perspective.

We left the Zuiderdam yesterday. I had the a/c set so low in our cabin that my husband wore a long sleeve shirt and a down vest to bed and was under the heavy down comforter LOL!  I was in a short sleeve t shirt and slept with the sheet only😀

We were in an inside cabin on deck 1. So no heat coming in the the window but the hallway was warm on port days since it was open to the outside. 

We both thought the gym was very warm.  Sometimes I needed a cardigan in the MDR and other common areas. Other times I just had a short sleeve blouse and was fine.

On 4/23/2022 at 6:16 AM, chengkp75 said:

The real question is, what constitutes "doesn't work properly"?  Is it the cabin temperature?  Which cabins?  Whose comfort level is determining "properly"?  Industry standard is that rooms be cooled to 68-72*F, so if 72 is too warm for you, the system is working properly, but not to your requirements.

No, that is not the real question.  Are you trying to start another argument as usual?  The OP was asking for peoples comments on the ac who have recently sailed on that ship.  

• Haha 1

We just got off 19 days on the Zuiderdam 4/22.  We had three different ocean view cabins on deck 4 starboard within 10 cabins of each other.  The first one had NO air flow coming in at all and it had traditional dial setting with no actual temperature numbers on it.  Of course we knew there'd be a problem and the HAL front desk lady came, tested, and sent up the mechanical fellow who took off the vent cover and opened up the vent.  Worked fine.  Cabin temp registered about 75.  Then cabin 2 to which we had to move the second night because of an thumping during the night in cabin 1 in our window frame that awakened us from a deep sleep and couldn't be diagnosed or fixed--same thing, they had to open up the vent to allow more air flow--temp and quantity of air flow worked okay and it also had the dial/no temp numbers thermostat.  Then cabin 3 for second cruise of b2b had a digital Siemens thermostat with no usual temp number settings like at home and impossible to set ourselves and temp went up to 79, even with drapes closed during the day, in Sea of Cortez and PV--finally, after three days and notes left, they got enough air coming into the room so that the temp could be controlled--it was now too much air and chilly , but I tape paper slips over the edge of the vent that blows toward the head of the bed and that controlled the blowing but now it was too cold and too much air, honestly.  In cabin 3, they had given us more air by reducing the temp too much; somehow that had worked they thought.  The technician had set the thermostat somehow at -3.0.  So my sense of it was that 75 perhaps is the usual setting on that digital thermostat and he reduced it three degrees, my guess.

One digital clock I take on our cruises has a temp reading, so I can see what the cabin temp is at all times.  The trip was frustrating having to change cabins 3 times in 19 days, honestly.

Edited by 12cruise2