Covid restrictions - which have been lifted and which remain?

Denarius

Just to add a little more to my previous post regarding my recent SofD cruise.

We were all given a lateral flow test at Dover; the captain later informed us that six people were denied boarding because of positive tests. That was the only test we were given during the cruise. We were informed that anyone subsequently diagnosed would be required to self isolate for 5 days, close contacts would be tested daily but would not be required to self isolate unless they subsequently tested positive. Not sure how people would be diagnosed, presumably by reporting to the medical centre with symptoms. No announcements were made regarding any new infections, but the rumour mill put them as as little as zero up to a maximum of 20. It was suggested that anyone self isolating would do so in their own cabin as per norovirus rather than in dedicated cabins.

All crew wore masks at all times. Masks were not required for passengers but were recommended, particularly in the theatre. Very few wore them, I would say less than one in ten, maybe as little as one in twenty. Track and trace was sporadic; cabin numbers taken on coaches and in the dining rooms, but not at the packed port presentations in the theatre!

All in all, a much lighter touch which seemed to be appreciated by most passengers.

Edited by Denarius
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, Denarius said:

Just to add a little more to my previous post regarding my recent SofD cruise.

We were all given a lateral flow test at Dover; the captain later informed us that six people were denied boarding because of positive tests. That was the only test we were given during the cruise. We were informed that anyone subsequently diagnosed would be required to self isolate for 5 days, close contacts would be tested daily but would not be required to self isolate unless they subsequently tested positive. Not sure how people would be diagnosed, presumably by reporting to the medical centre with symptoms. No announcements were made regarding any new infections, but the rumour mill put them as as little as zero up to a maximum of 20. It was suggested that anyone self isolating would do so in their own cabin as per norovirus rather than in dedicated cabins.

All crew wore masks at all times. Masks were not required for passengers but were recommended, particularly in the theatre. Very few wore them, I would say less than one in ten, maybe as little as one in twenty. Track and trace was sporadic; cabin numbers taken on coaches and in the dining rooms, but not at the packed port presentations in the theatre!

All in all, a much lighter touch which seemed to be appreciated by most passengers.

Many thanks for your additional update... it's interesting to compare notes.

We had one announcement that a couple had contracted the illness at our first port of call, in Orkney, and it was suggested that we should all continue to take care. A great many people did.

However, it wasn't a topic of conversation... we think that's because we all just wanted to try to relax, enjoy our holiday and have a good time. For us... it was our first major outing in over two years... and was only made with the express last moment consent of our doctor.

At the end of the cruise, while we were waiting to leave, we met a quite different couple who had just 'recovered' from the illness. They'd been so looking forward to the cruise, so careful in the run-up to the departure and on board the ship but they suspected that they had been infected by an inconsiderate individual at one particular place on our first port day in Orkney.

Although they had isolated in their own cabin, and they'd only had a 'mild' version, they were both so mentally and emotionally drained and so utterly physically exhausted that they'd stayed in their cabin for about twelve days in total... they were just too tired to go ashore at the last port and had missed out on most of the cruise. Both of them looked totally washed out.

They had been very well looked after on board and said that nothing had been too much trouble for the staff but it was clear that the impact of the illness on them and on their holiday had been devastating. 

So we're all still so dependent on others around us, being considerate, taking reasonable precautions, doing the right thing and looking out for others around them... as they're dependant on us showing the same degree of civilised care and consideration.

• Like 1

On 8/20/2022 at 7:40 PM, twotravellersLondon said:

We had one announcement that a couple had contracted the illness at our first port of call, in Orkney, and it was suggested that we should all continue to take care. A great many people did.

However, it wasn't a topic of conversation... we think that's because we all just wanted to try to relax, enjoy our holiday and have a good time. For us... it was our first major outing in over two years... and was only made with the express last moment consent of our doctor.

At the end of the cruise, while we were waiting to leave, we met a quite different couple who had just 'recovered' from the illness. They'd been so looking forward to the cruise, so careful in the run-up to the departure and on board the ship but they suspected that they had been infected by an inconsiderate individual at one particular place on our first port day in Orkney.

Although they had isolated in their own cabin, and they'd only had a 'mild' version, they were both so mentally and emotionally drained and so utterly physically exhausted that they'd stayed in their cabin for about twelve days in total... they were just too tired to go ashore at the last port and had missed out on most of the cruise. Both of them looked totally washed out.

They had been very well looked after on board and said that nothing had been too much trouble for the staff but it was clear that the impact of the illness on them and on their holiday had been devastating. 

So we're all still so dependent on others around us, being considerate, taking reasonable precautions, doing the right thing and looking out for others around them... as they're dependant on us showing the same degree of civilised care and consideration.

On the Adventure at present. No announcements re COVID at all as it should be..There are coughs a plenty and it's the usual AC causing this. My husband has been effected  by the AC so he phoned the medical centre during opening hours and voluntarily  agreed to a LFT negative. They also tested me with no cough and I too was negative. There are quite a few cases of COVID on board. Some soon after departure from Southampton. You can present a negative LFT test at port although incubating COVID which wouldn't show up that soon. He is still negative. I'm afraid if you go cruising it's a risk you take and you have to put up with the consequences so I have little empathy. 

• Like 2

On Adventure as from yesterday. Our cabin steward confirmed that there had been a lot of covid cases on board during the last cruise and encouraged us to take care as he didn't want us to have to isolate for 6 days - a feeling which is mutual. Very few wearing masks and, although masks are recommended when using the tender or on coaches, on the tender today I would say that less than 25% were wearing a mask.

Most things are back to normal. Staff are still serving you at the buffett in the Grill but you are allowed now to use the tea/coffee stations in the Grill yourself and to help yourself to ice cream from the machine in the pool area (neither of which we could do on our last cruise).

21 minutes ago, david05 said:

On Adventure as from yesterday. Our cabin steward confirmed that there had been a lot of covid cases on board during the last cruise and encouraged us to take care as he didn't want us to have to isolate for 6 days - a feeling which is mutual. Very few wearing masks and, although masks are recommended when using the tender or on coaches, on the tender today I would say that less than 25% were wearing a mask.

Most things are back to normal. Staff are still serving you at the buffett in the Grill but you are allowed now to use the tea/coffee stations in the Grill yourself and to help yourself to ice cream from the machine in the pool area (neither of which we could do on our last cruise).

Thanks for that information David, we will be boarding SofA when you return.

Is the ice-cream freezer in the Living Room working and are there any books in the library ?

17 minutes ago, Glenndale said:

Is the ice-cream freezer in the Living Room working and are there any books in the library ?

Don't know about the freezer in the Living Room but there are still no books in the Library.

6 minutes ago, david05 said:

Don't know about the freezer in the Living Room but there are still no books in the Library.

Thanks for replying. I have to recommend the ice-cream in the Living Room if you’re passing thru 🤗

• Like 1

20 hours ago, david05 said:

Are the bar stools back in use in the Living Room, North/South Cape bar and the Britannia lounge? On my 4/22 cruise on SofA they all had "do not use" stickers on, on my 8/22 cruise on SofD they had all been removed!

52 minutes ago, Denarius said:

Are the bar stools back in use in the Living Room, North/South Cape bar and the Britannia lounge? On my 4/22 cruise on SofA they all had "do not use" stickers on, on my 8/22 cruise on SofD they had all been removed!

Did hear a hint from the bar staff on the Spirit of Discovery in July that there was a feeling that these bar stools should not be put back.

3 hours ago, Denarius said:

Bar stools in use in the Living Room, Britannia Lounge and Supper Club. Currently no bar stools in the North Cape Bar.

On 8/29/2022 at 4:50 PM, david05 said:

We are on this cruise and previous cruise. Yes there were quite a few with covid and this kicked in from day 3 to day 7 the incubation period so more than likely bought on board. After all a LFT does not actually say you  don't have it in those early days. There were also plenty of colds and in our case due to the A/C affecting bronchial tubes. Being responsible us and many had LFT tests . I'm already hearing the A/C cough. Up to the individual whether or not to wear a mask. I caught COVID elsewhere wearing a mask.  They would prefer you to be served ice cream on the Lido rather than help yourself. 

On 8/20/2022 at 7:40 PM, twotravellersLondon said:

Don't forget we can bring it on board on embarkation day as LFT tests doesn't mean you don't have it if in the incubation period of 3-7days it won't show. Often first port of calls are to be blamed but fact is it's already on board 

On 8/29/2022 at 5:13 PM, Glenndale said:

No there is no ice cream in the living room . Still waiting for parts 

3 hours ago, JoJo1947 said:

We are on this cruise and previous cruise. Yes there were quite a few with covid and this kicked in from day 3 to day 7 the incubation period so more than likely bought on board. After all a LFT does not actually say you  don't have it in those early days. There were also plenty of colds and in our case due to the A/C affecting bronchial tubes. Being responsible us and many had LFT tests . I'm already hearing the A/C cough. Up to the individual whether or not to wear a mask. I caught COVID elsewhere wearing a mask.  They would prefer you to be served ice cream on the Lido rather than help yourself. 

We are going on a back to back cruise shortly. Did you have to take a lft before the second cruise, were you allowed off the ship in the UK port on the turnaround day. Also when you say there were quite a few covid cases was that about half a dozen or more than that?

Just now, Kenmure said:

We are going on a back to back cruise shortly. Did you have to take a lft before the second cruise, were you allowed off the ship in the UK port on the turnaround day. Also when you say there were quite a few covid cases was that about half a dozen or more than that?

We had to have  morning LFT in our cabin,wait for the result,then we could leave. This was over 3 days with the 4th on the morning arriving back to home port! I don't know if you are allowed off as we were moving cabins so busy. I don't know the exact number of cases but it was widespread and quite high I was told. We were in the Living room when they were last off the ship. You could tell by the upgraded masks. I lost count at 45. It was happening throughout the 22 days by the tables outside cabins and trolly of meals.

Edited by JoJo1947

Just back from Spirit of Discovery cruise.  I don't know how many cases there were but our taxi driver on the way home said that he had heard that the final group of passengers off the ship were all Covid cases and that the taxi drivers were upset that they hadn't been informed.  We had our LFTs before boarding but no further tests during the cruise.  I was surprised at the lack of mask wearing in The Playhouse despite the recommendation that masks should be worn.  I don't think there were any bar stools in the bars but I can't be 100% certain.  Overall, a very enjoyable first Saga cruise.

• Thanks 1

We have to move on but we have choices. Wear a mask in the Playhouse,lift,tour bus or anywhere if it makes one comfortable. There will always be covid cases just like colds,flu,norovirus. Yes covid cases are the last to leave the ship. You could have a clear LFT and it's negative but it doesn't tell you you are incubating covid as it takes 3-7 days to confirm it. I'm glad Saga have moved on and would only test if Ports of call say you have too. Pointless testing otherwise. As from 10th Sept all cruises under 16 nights there will be no testing. Hurrah.  

6 hours ago, JoJo1947 said:

We have to move on but we have choices. Wear a mask in the Playhouse,lift,tour bus or anywhere if it makes one comfortable. There will always be covid cases just like colds,flu,norovirus. Yes covid cases are the last to leave the ship. You could have a clear LFT and it's negative but it doesn't tell you you are incubating covid as it takes 3-7 days to confirm it. I'm glad Saga have moved on and would only test if Ports of call say you have too. Pointless testing otherwise. As from 10th Sept all cruises under 16 nights there will be no testing. Hurrah.  

I was not aware of this, where and when was it published?

Does this mean that there will be no covid testing at the port before embarkation? If so this is similar to changes being made by P&O as from 6 Sept when self-testing requirements prior to joining most cruises will change from ‘mandatory’ to ‘highly recommended"

• Thanks 1