New to Norway

oakgrove girl

Hello everyone. I will be sailing in September on the Rotterdam. 14 days from Amsterdam.  I have never been to this part of the world before, I need some help. I have a few questions. 

1. What is the weather like that time of year?

2. How many hours of daylight?

3. Does it rain a lot in September?

4. Should I pack for fall or winter?

5. Does HAL have things for solo passengers to do?

That is all for now any help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you all😊

Google is your friend!

Average weather September in Bergen, Norway (weather-and-climate.com)

HAL solo passengers, of which I am usually one, have the same things to do for solos as they do for everyone.  They may have a solo meet up listed in the When and Where daily program/navigator App but I have never gone to one.  

Norway is absolutely stunning!  Have a wonderful cruise.

~Nancy

1 hour ago, oakgrove girl said:

1. What is the weather like that time of year?

Cool and wet - think 40F to 60F. The site that Oakridger provided is quite accurate.

2. How many hours of daylight?

About 13 hours (depending on the cloud cover ... ).

3. Does it rain a lot in September?

Bergen is the wettest city in Europe - it rains a LOT. At that time of year in Norway, the weather is very changeable - expect a lot of volatility.

4. Should I pack for fall or winter?

That's a bit dependent on what you consider winter. Bring layers and a waterproof/windproof outer and you'll be fine.

Norway is one of our favourite places on earth  - I hope you enjoy it as much as we have on several occasions.

When we were there the end of August we layered with long sleeve shirts, wind breakers and down vests.  We carried a backpack and switched on and off between layers throughout the day.  Sometimes we needed all 3 and other times just the long sleeve shirt

I am a big fan of always packing a set of silk long underwear. It worked perfectly for our last cruise in Norway adding a  lightweight layer of insulation. Pair it with a 100% cashmere wool pullover for a very comfortable and functional travel set.  Then add the waterproof outer jacket and a fleece vest for versatility. 

Often just insulation layers from the wind is as important as insulation from the cold - this particular combo has shown to work for me without all the packing bulk of heavier items.

Norway weather is so variable - once can move from rain to sun in even few moments, or be locked into so much fog one cannot even see the sides of the fjords one traveled so far to see. Yet remain rewarded by the intimate closer up scenery instead.

Never had a bad moment in Norway, though many unexpected ones. It is all good, plus when you need to take shelter from the rain for a few moments you then get to explore Norway's many tempting coffee treats, like their waffles with raspberry jam or marzipan cakes.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, OlsSalt said:

I am a big fan of always packing a set of silk long underwear. It worked perfectly for our last cruise in Norway adding a  lightweight layer of insulation. Pair it with a 100% cashmere wool pullover for a very comfortable and functional travel set.  Then add the waterproof outer jacket and a fleece vest for versatility. 

Often just insulation layers from the wind is as important as insulation from the cold - this particular combo has shown to work for me without all the packing bulk of heavier items.

Norway weather is so variable - once can move from rain to sun in even few moments, or be locked into so much fog one cannot even see the sides of the fjords one traveled so far to see. Yet remain rewarded by the intimate closer up scenery instead.

Never had a bad moment in Norway, though many unexpected ones. It is all good, plus when you need to take shelter from the rain for a few moments you then get to explore Norway's many tempting coffee treats, like their waffles with raspberry jam or marzipan cakes.

Great advice, natural fibres are the best. The silk long underwear takes up very little room and weights nearly nothing.  And a warm wool or cashmere  sweater works great.  I add a down vest and a goretex jacket.   Please bring this with you, the year we visited I had purchased a new North face jacket for 200$ that cost nearly $1000 in Norway for the exact same brand and jacket. 

• Like 1

I also carry some gloves, earmuffs (ear pops) in my pockets, and my long cashmere scarf for additional neck and head warmth - or warding off chill in the MDR.

Cashmere is truly the wonder fabric for travel to ward off chill with the least bulk. One can also shop for cashmere bargains on eBay, but get the good stuff, not the scratchy Chinese stuff.

Those classic old cashmere 'twin sets" can become a key part of a simple travel wardrobe. One Norwegian movie we had watched before our trip - the main female characters were all wearing those twin sets - practical for their Norwegian lifestyles.

• Like 1