How often does Oceania Test Crew Members

travelor80

Just wondering how often Oceania Tests Crew Members. Do they test after each cruise to make sure there are no Covid cases before new passengers get on?

We are getting on next Tuesday and know cases seem to show up even through passengers are tested 48 hours prior but of course much can happen in those 48 hours. If crew go off ship are they tested again--most of the time can take 3 days for symptoms to show up. Cannot believe we are actually willing to go on a cruise but if not now when??? Cancelled many so far. 

7 minutes ago, travelor80 said:

Just wondering how often Oceania Tests Crew Members. Do they test after each cruise to make sure there are no Covid cases before new passengers get on?

We are getting on next Tuesday and know cases seem to show up even through passengers are tested 48 hours prior but of course much can happen in those 48 hours. If crew go off ship are they tested again--most of the time can take 3 days for symptoms to show up. Cannot believe we are actually willing to go on a cruise but if not now when??? Cancelled many so far. 

We were on Riviera for two weeks this past January and crew were tested more than once (assuming a rotation) during that time.

When we were on board Riviera  Oct to December and on Marina in March, the crew was tested weekly and if they tested positively they were immediately quarantined until after they tested negative. We were tested before we traveled to the ship, before we boarded and then at the end of each cruise segment and before we were allowed to travel home. 
To be honest, we felt safer on board the ship than we did in our home and community. Now in April, and with all the O ships sailing, I know people are becoming infected with a Varient. All the staff and guests are vaccinated and boosted but it is still possible to become sick. Many people are asymptomatic and there are some who do become quite sick. We have yet to hear of a single case where anyone becoming ill on an Oceania ship and have died of the virus.
We have a lot of friends with Oceania contacts and follow the CDC cruise ship data and and we find the Covid protocols and efforts of Oceania to be exceptional. Perfect, no, but very effective. 
JMHO because we have lived it and Oceania has earned our trust. We will continue to sail and it will definitely be on the smaller Oceania ships and never on the multi thousand passenger floating cities. 

Bonnie and Gerry 

• Like 2

My suspicion has always been that the crew, with crew changes always happening at many ports, coming from countries far away where maybe the controls are not so great, and maybe not taking precautions most of us would take,  living, associating, and dining in their owned cramped quarters behind those walls, is a vulnerability to the passengers.mDo they mask int those areas? Do they get quarantined when positive? Where? There's been nearly complete silence about that possibility.  Does anyone know?

1 hour ago, brittany12 said:

My suspicion has always been that the crew, with crew changes always happening at many ports, coming from countries far away where maybe the controls are not so great, and maybe not taking precautions most of us would take,  living, associating, and dining in their owned cramped quarters behind those walls, is a vulnerability to the passengers.mDo they mask int those areas? Do they get quarantined when positive? Where? There's been nearly complete silence about that possibility.  Does anyone know?

I believe that newly arriving crew quarantine prior to starting their shift. Last November, I was told that crew were not allowed shore visits, but I’m not sure how long that lasted.

Maybe the Marina is starting to see some minor crew changes. The other ships haven’t returned to service long enough to require crew change. 

Odds are, the cases are being brought aboard by the guests and then spread.

2 hours ago, brittany12 said:

I believe  when the crew come to the ship they are quarantined  they are not in cramped quarters  ..if they share a cabin & are positive they will be moved

as someone reported earlier  part deck 7 on the O class ships were the quarantine cabins  for pax & crew

Could all be  pax that are asymptomatic  arriving  from USA (like Florida) or other Countries where masking & testing is no longer required