Price of Speciality Restaurants - What is Their Strategy?

25 minutes ago, SRF said:

My point was, ALL companies strive to maximize income and reduce costs.

People seem to try to make RCI look like they are doing something out of the ordinary.

I think that the point (my guess) was that RCI has a lot of "upcharge" restaurants (i.e. Johnny Rockets, Fish and Ships, Playmakers, etc.) of the type that are included on other lines, most specifically Carnival, and to a lesser extent, maybe something like Princess, though that's not a great comparison as it is probably more like Celebrity.

We are not loyal to any one cruise line and like to change it up all the time as we find things we enjoy on all the lines.  Since the restart, we've done DCL, Virgin, RCI (Oasis), and Carnival (Mardi Gras).  Sailing Oasis and Mardi Gras within 2 months of each other was especially interesting because our main takeaway from those was that so much more was included on the Mardi Gras sailing compared to Oasis.  Granted, it's little things, but there are a number of them.  For instance, on Oasis, the ice cream shut down at 5:30pm, but on Mardi Gras, it was open 24/7.  The BBQ on Oasis was $8, but on Mardi Gras it was included.  Same with their Guy's Burger and the Shaq's Big Chicken (which lives up to the hype, BTW).  Also, on Mardi Gras, two of the "specialty" restaurants, Cucina del Capitano and ChiBang are currently also complimentary.  Finally, even if you do upcharge, like at Emeril's Bistro, we ordered 4 plates and it was incredible and our bill for that was only $18 between the 2 of us.  Surprisingly, we all loved the Mardi Gras. It was very different (in a good way) than our other Carnival cruise we took back in 2015 (and yes, Carnival has finally put a glass shower door in their cabins!)...

So, I think it's in comparison where this is applicable.  That said, the Oasis was lovely and it did have the Loco Fresh complimentary (similar to Blue Iguana on Mardi Gras) which IMHO is a step in the right direction.  Where I thought it lacked was in choices at night, unless you upcharge, because you have the MDR, Sorrento's, Promenade Cafe (which we never found much we liked), or Park Cafe, which wasn't my favorite either (though a lot of people love the roast beef sandwich).  The Solarium had a bistro, but it was closed during our sailing, though I have heard it is usually included and would have been nice.  Honestly, if RCI would just throw in a poolside grill (burgers, dogs, etc) and keep the soft serve open later, I'd be very happy!

Edited by bmc alabama

The issue I have with the extra-cost restaurant pricing is two-fold.  First, they price themselves like a very nice on-shore venue, but the quality is rarely comparable.  Second, the cruise fare already includes food in the other restaurants (Windjammer, MDR, etc.), but that value seems to not be considered in the extra-cost restaurant pricing.  In other words, if my MDR meal is worth $20, then I pay $60 for Chops, I'm effectively having an $80 meal.  Chops is nowhere near the quality of an $80 meal.  In fact, I don't think it's up to the standards of a $60 meal.  

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, rudeney said:

The 3-night DP has been $120pp on our cruise for the whole time since we booked.  I guess I should go ahead and buy it before it goes up!  

Why would you buy the 3-night pkg? Didn't you just say:

'In other words, if my MDR meal is worth $20, then I pay $60 for Chops, I'm effectively having an $80 meal.  Chops is nowhere near the quality of an $80 meal.  In fact, I don't think it's up to the standards of a $60 meal. '

26 minutes ago, Oxo said:

Why would you buy the 3-night pkg? Didn't you just say:

'In other words, if my MDR meal is worth $20, then I pay $60 for Chops, I'm effectively having an $80 meal.  Chops is nowhere near the quality of an $80 meal.  In fact, I don't think it's up to the standards of a $60 meal. '

Good question!  Because (1) it makes it only $40 per meal which is closer to the value of the meal, but mainly because (2) SWMBO wants to enjoy a few meals other than in the MDR.  

40 minutes ago, rudeney said:

Good question!  Because (1) it makes it only $40 per meal which is closer to the value of the meal, but mainly because (2) SWMBO wants to enjoy a few meals other than in the MDR.  

I didn't mean to sound rude. I just was trying to find your logic which is great. We feel the UDP is really a buy as I posted above.  This way we don't have to worry about MTD or Traditional. We don't go out to eat much since the DW is a great cook. 

Enjoy your meals!!

Stay Safe and Happy Cruising!!!

I considered UDP, as it's a better value: double the price, but includes 7 dinners instead of 3, plus lunches.  The concern is that I just don't think we'd take full advantage of it.  Voyager only has 3 specialty restaurants, and we rarely eat lunch (we have a hearty breakfast and an early dinner with a few snacks).  

8 minutes ago, rudeney said:

I considered UDP, as it's a better value: double the price, but includes 7 dinners instead of 3, plus lunches.  The concern is that I just don't think we'd take full advantage of it.  Voyager only has 3 specialty restaurants, and we rarely eat lunch (we have a hearty breakfast and an early dinner with a few snacks).  

Agree the UDP only has value on Oasis and Quantum Class ships.  Used to be the std price for the 3 night was around $109,  been 3 or 4 years since i was able to grab it for $75

In the Cruise Planner description UDP is described as "Unlimited visits to speciality dining restaurants every night of your sailing and lunch on sea days".

Does this means that you can visit 2 or more restaurants per day?

How much would you think is a "fair" price for a 7 night cruise (on Oasis class) with 3 sea days on the itinerary? Right now it's $207.99 / per adult + Gratuities.  

28 minutes ago, carlosalonsor said:

In the Cruise Planner description UDP is described as "Unlimited visits to speciality dining restaurants every night of your sailing and lunch on sea days".

Does this means that you can visit 2 or more restaurants per day?

How much would you think is a "fair" price for a 7 night cruise (on Oasis class) with 3 sea days on the itinerary? Right now it's $207.99 / per adult + Gratuities.  

Per the verbiage in my Cruise planner, the UDP does allow more than one specialty per night and even more than one entree per restaurant: "you can enjoy multiple entrees and visit multiple specialty restaurants every night of your sailing."  That might be a really good value if you want to try different things or are just a hearty eater!   

It does aggravate me that on your Oasis class cruise with more restaurant choices, it's only $208, but on my Voyager cruise with only three choices it's $245!

• Thanks 1

$208 for a week of UDP would be a bargain! for a 9 night (on Jewel -- 3 restaurants) it shows as $306. It used to be $216 (on sale) before they went bat-sh*t crazy on the price. Was considering it at $216, but not a chance on God's green earth at $300+

This is why I like the way Virgin does it.  There is no main dining room.  Everything is "specialty" and it is all included in the fare.  Plus, the ice cream is gelato (and it's open until 10pm, not the 5:30 on Oasis), there is no buffet (instead, it is a "made-to-order" food court with sushi, etc.), and the quality is way better than most "specialty" restaurants I've had on other lines...

Also, Cokes (freestyle-like machines) are included as are gratuities and wi-fi...  Drinks are a bit different as you can pre-purchase a "Bar Tab", where you put in $300 and they put in $100 (total of $400) and that can be shared per stateroom (no everyone having to purchase in the same stateroom).  Beers are all $6 and most mixed drinks are $9...

Edited by bmc alabama
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, bmc alabama said:

This is why I like the way Virgin does it.  There is no main dining room.  Everything is "specialty" and it is all included in the fare.  Plus, the ice cream is gelato (and it's open until 10pm, not the 5:30 on Oasis), there is no buffet (instead, it is a "made-to-order" food court with sushi, etc.), and the quality is way better than most "specialty" restaurants I've had on other lines...

Also, Cokes (freestyle-like machines) are included as are gratuities and wi-fi...  Drinks are a bit different as you can pre-purchase a "Bar Tab", where you put in $300 and they put in $100 (total of $400) and that can be shared per stateroom (no everyone having to purchase in the same stateroom).  Beers are all $6 and most mixed drinks are $9...

My wife keeps seeing those Virgin commercials and said she likes the sounds of it.  I'm afraid we may be a bit too old for their target audience, though.  

36 minutes ago, killsport said:

$208 for a week of UDP would be a bargain! for a 9 night (on Jewel -- 3 restaurants) it shows as $306. It used to be $216 (on sale) before they went bat-sh*t crazy on the price. Was considering it at $216, but not a chance on God's green earth at $300+

I'm very happy that I caught the UDP for $179 for our cruise on the Harmony next month. The prices do tend to go up and down often. I wonder if there is a person behind it or some computer handling it all behind the scenes.

32 minutes ago, bmc alabama said:

Royal tried something similar called dynamic dinning on a few of their ships having no main dinning room. i read it i did not work out that good 

1 hour ago, rudeney said:

My wife keeps seeing those Virgin commercials and said she likes the sounds of it.  I'm afraid we may be a bit too old for their target audience, though.  

I thought that too.  Actually, I wasn't quite sure what to expect, because watching their initial commercials, I thought it might just be a floating tattoo parlor, however, we were quite pleasantly surprised that it is really a casual, but upscale feeling.  The age range on our sailing were 20 somethings all the way to 70 somethings and everything in between.  I think that all ages would have fun on Virgin.  We liked it so much that we have 2 more cruises scheduled with them in the next year (we are late 40's/early 50's)...

Also, note that it is adult (meaning 18 and up) only, so it is a really different dynamic without kids.  That said, I don't think you'd find it stuffy at all.  We had a blast.

Lastly, I thought the hammock on the balcony was going to be a gimmick, but I used it every day and wish all balconies had them...

Edited by bmc alabama

I think the "18 and up" was what got my wife's attention.  The older we get, the less tolerant we are for children who were not taught to behave by their parents.  It's gotten so bad, we have a hard time eating out. 

The thing we like about RCI is that while they do cater to "active families", they still provide a lot of things for older adults to enjoy.  I am expecting our next cruise (NE/CA) will be mostly adult.  I think if we did try another cruise line, SWMBO might be enticed by Virgin, but Celebrity would probably be more our style.  

On 4/26/2022 at 2:12 PM, shof515 said:

Royal tried something similar called dynamic dinning on a few of their ships having no main dinning room. i read it i did not work out that good 

I sailed the Anthem when they had the dynamic dining. I absolutely loved it!!! I was so disappointed when they stopped it. I believe they didn't do enough research, design and development.  They should have gained access to Disney and found out the secret to making it work.

My theory as I watch prices go up and down for a given sailing is that when purchase rates are high the prices go up, and when those rates go down, prices drop. They don’t seem worried about pricing themselves out of sales because they know they can drop the price a few bucks at any given time. And they don’t seem to use much logic, for example on Anthem with only 4 specialty restaurants, each of very limited cuisine and menu items, RC keeps raising the price of the UDP to where it’s no longer worth it. I mean yes the price per meal is less but how many times can you eat at Wonderland?