Live from Alaska on Ms Zuiderdam - April 2022

Crew News

1 hour ago, JacksGal said:

Sailing in November on the Zuiderdam in November on a Panama Canal 14-day sailing.  Does the Zuiderdam have freestyle machines?  Still trying to figure out if I should get the soda package or quench package.  Not big alcohol drinkers but I am fond of flavored seltzer.  🙂

Thanks!  🙂

The Zuiderdam does not have the freestyle machines.  When you are calculating which package to get take into consideration how much time during a day will you be aboard to take advantage of your package.  Day-long excursions will leave you just a few hours to drink your minimum of eight sodas to break even. 

You do not need to make up your mind until you board the ship.  On Embarkation Day, there should be a beverage package display and beverage person in front of the Deck 9 spa entrance to help you choose.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

@PetitBateau If by White Pass you mean the White Pass Railroad Train, the train isn't going to the Yukon this summer.  It only goes from the port to the summit and back, so no passport required.  I hope they get it straightened out so the regular schedule across the border can be resumed next season. (2023)

Edited by oakridger

2 hours ago, PetitBateau said:

Roger, another question, when you went to White Pass, since they’re asking you to bring your passport, did you have to fill ArriveCan to go into Yukon Territory? 
Thanks!

The train did not go into the Yukon just a loop so no ArriveCan.  I spent the first part of the excursion on the platform between the cars getting some great snow pictures.  Took a brief nap on the way back.

ArriveCAN from what I have seen is just for air or marine entry

I have already booked the train to Lake Bennett for next May on the Nieuw Amsterdam.  As I get closer to May 7th next year, I hope earlier passengers using the train into Canada will update us.

https://rogerjett-photography.com/wp-content/gallery/lake-bennett/P6060113-Edit.jpg

• Thanks 1

On 7/9/2022 at 12:16 AM, Crew News said:

The train did not go into the Yukon just a loop so no ArriveCan.  I spent the first part of the excursion on the platform between the cars getting some great snow pictures.  Took a brief nap on the way back.

ArriveCAN from what I have seen is just for air or marine entry

I have already booked the train to Lake Bennett for next May on the Nieuw Amsterdam.  As I get closer to May 7th next year, I hope earlier passengers using the train into Canada will update us.

ArriveCAN is definitely required for land entry as well - I have driven across the US-Canada land border back into Canada several times and have had to fill it out each time. I am planning on renting a car in Skagway and driving to the Yukon and anticipate needing to have it filled out for that also (no big deal).

So I realize this is a couple of months old but maybe you happened to notice on board and may be able to help with a pretty specific, and admittedly froofy, question 😅. We're sailing inside passage in August. First time cruising for both of us (unless you count the navy. lol). I checked out the cafe menu on the rogerjett site but it was pretty limited. Wondering if this is the full "fancy drink" cafe menu they have or if there are additional options on board. I don't do coffee but enjoy my fancy tea based drinks. I noticed a chai latte but that was it I believe. I'm hoping the fact they can do a chai means there may be additional options for tea lattes and whatnot. Also, and this is getting pretty specific, any chance you noticed if they have Matcha tea available? I'm going to need the caffeine boost for the early morning ports! Worst case I'll bring mine with me. Finally I have dairy issues so wondering if there were alternatives available (I may have just missed the answer to this one in which case, my bad!). Thanks for indulging me! 😁

Edited by DA346

6 hours ago, DA346 said:

So I realize this is a couple of months old but maybe you happened to notice on board and may be able to help with a pretty specific, and admittedly froofy, question 😅. We're sailing inside passage in August. First time cruising for both of us (unless you count the navy. lol). I checked out the cafe menu on the rogerjett site but it was pretty limited. Wondering if this is the full "fancy drink" cafe menu they have or if there are additional options on board. I don't do coffee but enjoy my fancy tea based drinks. I noticed a chai latte but that was it I believe. I'm hoping the fact they can do a chai means there may be additional options for tea lattes and whatnot. Also, and this is getting pretty specific, any chance you noticed if they have Matcha tea available? I'm going to need the caffeine boost for the early morning ports! Worst case I'll bring mine with me. Finally I have dairy issues so wondering if there were alternatives available (I may have just missed the answer to this one in which case, my bad!). Thanks for indulging me! 😁

Thanks for visiting my website.  Feel free to ask lots of questions to help in your planning.  That is why so many of us contribute to this forum.

The Explorations shares the same space as the Crows Nest bar and caters to the specialty coffee passengers. FWIW their free cookies can be addicting.

I have not seen Matcha tea on any of my cruises so bring your own.  Make your Matcha tea at the Lido Market beverage station just before going to bed and pour it into a thermos to have your hot Matcha tea in the morning.

If you wish to make Specialty Restaurant reservations and to avoid the line across from the Pinnacle Grill, there will be a podium near the Deck 9 Spa entrance on Embarkation Day.

Visit the Taco Bar by the indoor pool to make yourself a plate of nachos (put a little melted cheese on the plate before the chips to keep things from sliding off the plate).

Ask the salad bar for an empty big green salad bowl and then take the bowl to the sandwich station for lots of potato chips for snacking in your room.

If a crew member gives you great service, ask their name, and give them a compliment on the Navigator app (at the bottom Connect-> Let us Know-> Comment).  They will thank you by name every day for the duration of your cruise.  Take a photo of their name tag so you get the spelling correct.

The beverage station (ice cream station during the day) has almond and soy milk available.  Make sure you let your Main Dining Room waiter know that you have dairy issues and they will help you avoid items made with milk.

Room Service Breakfast has soy milk available:  Room Service Breakfast Card

Enjoy your planning and your cruise.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 57redbird said:

Roger -- on the K-dam, can you get iced coffee drinks at any bar or just the Dutch Cafe?

If a bar is near a location where coffee is brewed, it never hurts to ask.  The Explorations Cafe in the Crows Nest specializes in iced coffee beverages.  Here is the menu:  Explorations Cafe Menu

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Unfortunately Roger, 😔 there was no nacho station on our cruise. The station was there, but they never opened it. You could get some chips around the sandwich station, and some nacho cheese in the dive-in (they had cheese fries) but at this point it was too much of an effort for me. I settled for some crunch in my salad, added some nacho chips in there, it was very good!

I also went for the bread pudding, it was pretty good!

Thank you for your tips!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PetitBateau said:

Unfortunately Roger, 😔 there was no nacho station on our cruise. The station was there, but they never opened it. You could get some chips around the sandwich station, and some nacho cheese in the dive-in (they had cheese fries) but at this point it was too much of an effort for me. I settled for some crunch in my salad, added some nacho chips in there, it was very good!

I also went for the bread pudding, it was pretty good!

Thank you for your tips!

Thanks for the update.  I hope you used your Navigator app "Let us know" feature to express our displeasure.  At least you would have received an answer as to why they  put this great feature on hold.

I hope the rest of your cruise was enjoyable.

No, but I used it to order a great burger! 🤩

And I did use it to highlight good service, and a cabin’s little problem. They are quick to fix it!

I enjoyed this cruise, before I was a bit disappointed that there was less shows than I anticipated, but they had a great naturalist onboard and I could have listened to him all day, he was interesting! 

• Like 1