Civitavecchia (port) // Rome by Train 2024: Your questions answered here!

euro cruiser

12 hours ago, euro cruiser said:

That will certainly get you to the port in plenty of time for departure, so if you're comfortable with the time and the price, go for it.

Perfect, thanks much, I went ahead and booked it! I appreciate it.

Our cruise trip ends on October 10 and we will get off at Civitavecchia port. Would like to visit Milan for a couple of days and our hotel will be located close to Duome of Milan (haven't booked it yet. Will I still select Civitavecchia porto or Civitavecchia for "From"? Also, what should I pick for "To"? Thank you in advance

It's the reverse of the arrival.  If you pick Civitavecchia Porto as your departure, your ticket will include the bus from your ship to the train station.

Your destination station would be Milano Centrale.

Only Trenitalia offers service to/from Citivatvecchia, but both Trenitalia and Italotreno offer service between Rome and Milan (you will need to go to Rome and change trains, no matter what you choose).  So I would check both high speed train operators to find the best combination of timing and pricing for your trip.

If you book Trenitalia all the way, you don't need to worry about allowing sufficient transfer time in Rome, they will factor that in and be responsible if you miss the connection.  If you choose Italo, you have to factor the transfer time and, in this case, I would allow more than the needed amount of time just to be on the safe side.  There is a phenomenal food court at Rome Termini that deserves some exploration, so you'd have lots to fill the time you allot.

EN - Trenitalia

Italo, italian high-speed train | Book no service fee | italotreno.com

• 2 weeks later...

I've booked all my train tickets (I think) but I'm not sure if I need additional tickets or if my hotel is close enough to the stations I have booked. I'm traveling from Termini to Venice Mestre with a hotel stay at Hotel Ai Cavalieri in Venice. I will then be traveling from Venice Mestre to Milan Centrale with a hotel stay at Hotel Spadari al Duomo in Milan. I will then travel from Milan Centrale to Rome Termini with a stay at Waldorf Astoria Hotel in Rome. Are these the best stations for these locations or do I need to book additional train tickets? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks

Posted (edited)

Does the train you are taking from Rome to Venice continue on to Venice S. Lucia?  Because that's the station you need, and from there a water taxi or a vaporetto to your hotel (the hotel has a private dock so you can get a water taxi right to it).

How to find us - Hotel ai Cavalieri

Again, when you leave you'd go from Venice S. Lucia, not Mestre (which is on the mainland, not out on the islands).

Edited by euro cruiser
  • Like 1

Your hotel in Milan is just under 3 km/2 miles from Milano Centrale.  You can take the metro to the Duomo station and have a short walk (one block) from there to the hotel, but with luggage I think I'd spring for a taxi and save the metro for when you're unemcumbered.

• Like 1

On 8/8/2024 at 9:37 AM, euro cruiser said:

When you say the Waldorf Astoria in Rome, do you mean the Rome Cavalieri hotel?  If so, that's a bit outside of the historic center of town.  A taxi will be required to get there.

Yes that is the one. Sounds like I should just take a taxi. I’ll be picking up some luggage I have stored here so will want an easy solution. It seems from your feedback where I’m in trouble is in Venice. I’m only traveling with a single piece of luggage. It will be a carry on size with wheels. Thank you so much for taking the time to respond. It was very helpful!

• 2 weeks later...

Oh boy - I started diligently reading every post of this thread so as not to duplicate questions and find answers, but after about 7 pages I realized I was still in 2022, and things may have changed, so - here goes with my questions!  Sorry if they are repeats. 

We arrive/depart Civitavecchia on Holland America Oosterdam (<2,000 pax) for a one-day visit, Sunday Sept 15 2024.  Arrive 7:00am, Depart: 10:00pm.   

1. I looked at this page to see how busy the port was, but they only give the next week's schedule (Aug 15-22). I've seen posters posting much further ahead (in the past) but I can't find a current link. Is there a better page for longer term schedules (that will cover September 2024)? I found this page with all of august 2024 - Cruises from the Port of Civitavecchia in August 2024 | Port Mobility Civitavecchia - but when I change 'august' to 'september' I get Sept 2023! 

2. We want to head into central Rome for the day, and get back in time. I found this page - Port of Civitavecchia: Cruise Passenger's Guide | Port Mobility Civitavecchia - but it's light on details.  I then found this page - Civitavecchia Express: non-stop train for cruise passengers | Port Mobility Civitavecchia - pushing the Civitavecchia Express train. It contains this comment: "ATTENTION: from 9 June 2024 the Civitavecchia Express will become a fast regional train which will only make the stops in Roma S. Pietro, Roma Trastevere, Roma Ostiense and Civitavecchia. The train will be accessible to everyone by purchasing an ordinary ticket." This suggests something changed/improved after June 9, but I can't tell what changed.  The page says the train goes to Rome Ostiense, stopping only at San Pietro (but the blurb above references Trastavere - so that's confusing/contradictory!). It also says "The train's ticket guarantees a seat: once the 718 seats available for each line have been reached, ticket sales will be suspended." - so is it worth purchasing ahead of time? They direct you to the main Trenitalia website for ticket purchase. 

I've seen references here on CC to the 'Frecce' train as an alternative - goes from Civitavecchia to Rome Termini with reserved seats and costs 6 Euro more. 

So is the choice between Civitavecchia Express and Frecce dependent on whether you want to end up in Ostiense or Termini? 

3. To get to the Civitavecchia train station it looks like we get a free shuttle from the cruise ship to Largo Della Pace, then (according to  this page ) a local bus (CSP?) to the station for 2 Euro. But this page - Civitavecchia Train Station | Port Mobility Civitavecchia suggests a 6 Euro service.  Also, sounds like you can walk it easily (bypassing the Largo Della Pace altogether).

Lots of confusing and seemingly contradictory information! 

There is a lot of stuff, take a deep breath and we'll work through it.  Let's start with getting from the ship to the train station.

Walking is an option IF you are located at one of the southern berths (#12 and #13), but note that the distance can be as much as one and three quarter miles, or as little as one and a quarter miles.  Also keep in mind that you'll likely be walking all day in Rome ...

If you are located at the northern berth (#24 or #25) you are not allowed to walk.  From here you have the two shuttle bus options (see below).

There are two shuttle bus options.  You can take the free shuttle to Largo della Pace and walk from there (just under one mile), or wait for a local bus (after finding somewhere to buy a local bus ticket).  The other option is the 6 euro bus directly from your ship to the train station. 

Map of the port (note that this map is unusual in that the top of the map is NOT north):  Map of the Port | Port Mobility Civitavecchia

Civitavecchia shuttle bus options:  Shuttles | Port Mobility Civitavecchia

Next, the train options.

Unfortunately, you will be in Civitavecchia on a weekend when there are planned improvements to the high speed train lines, so there are no high speed or IC trains between Rome and Civitavecchia that weekend.  This may also account for why the normally 10 euro Civitavecchia Express train to S. Pietro and Ostinese is only 4,60 euro.

It makes your choices easier, if that helps.  Also, since this is a port day stop you won't be dealing with luggage, which is a big reason to book one of the seat assigned trains.

Since they are all regional trains, I would aim for the first one you can get.  You want more time in Rome, not necessarily less time on the train.  If everything goes right you might make the 7:34 train, but more likely you'll get the 8:01.  Both of these trains go all the way to Termini and make the local stops in Rome, so you can get off where you need to.  If you have your day figured out and know where you'll be going first, we can show you which station is best for your needs.

On to tickets.  You can purchase in advance on line or via the app, but there's really no reason since the price never changes and there are no seat assignments on these trains.

If you will be using the buses and/or metro in Rome to get around, consider buying the 12 euro BIRG ticket.  This covers round trip train fare between Civitavecchia and Rome (on regional trains only) as well as unlimited use of public transit in Rome all day.  You buy this ticket at the newsstand inside the train station, it cannot be purchased on line.

For the return I always recommend taking one or two trains before the last train that would get you back on time.  For a 10 PM departure all aboard will be 9:30, which means arriving at the Civitavecchia station no later than 9:00.  

As it turns out, there are trains arriving at 8:00, then not another until 9:13 (remember, this is a Sunday night).  I think the 8:00 arrival (departs Rome Termini at 6:42 PM and stops at the other Rome stations a few minutes later) is probably fine.  If you are very risk averse you might aim for the train just prior to that, departing Termini at 6:12 PM and arriving to Civitavecchia at 7:22 PM.

10 hours ago, euro cruiser said:

There is a lot of stuff, take a deep breath and we'll work through it.  Let's start with getting from the ship to the train station.

Walking is an option IF you are located at one of the southern berths (#12 and #13), but note that the distance can be as much as one and three quarter miles, or as little as one and a quarter miles.  Also keep in mind that you'll likely be walking all day in Rome ...

If you are located at the northern berth (#24 or #25) you are not allowed to walk.  From here you have the two shuttle bus options (see below).

There are two shuttle bus options.  You can take the free shuttle to Largo della Pace and walk from there (just under one mile), or wait for a local bus (after finding somewhere to buy a local bus ticket).  The other option is the 6 euro bus directly from your ship to the train station. 

Map of the port (note that this map is unusual in that the top of the map is NOT north):  Map of the Port | Port Mobility Civitavecchia

Civitavecchia shuttle bus options:  Shuttles | Port Mobility Civitavecchia

Thanks for the info.  Any thoughts on where I might find a schedule of port traffic for that day (9/15)? As noted, I could only find August, not Sept.  My guess is, the Oosterdam will be docked in one of the lower numbered berths as it is under 2,000 passengers. 

Regarding walking - can you take the free shuttle (destined for Largo della Pace) and get off near Forte Michelangelo (at the spot labeled 'Varco Fortezza' on the map), and walk to the train from there? Going all the way to Largo Della Pace seems counterproductive if you plan to walk to the train? I've seen other versions of that map which show that location to be one of the three entry/exit points for the port. 

You mention two shuttle bus options. If we ignore any walking components, then am I correct in saying the two shuttle bus options are:

1) free shuttle to Largo Della Pace, then a local bus - CSP? - to the train station for 2 Euro

2) the 6 euro shuttle direct from ship to train station. I had previously noted this option, but I wasn't aware that it was direct from ship to train, bypassing Largo Della Pace. Cost isn't an issue so it would seem this option is the better one - one journey instead of two, and presumably faster? I presume we board right at our cruise dock (and on the way back, it will bring us to our ship). The only downside could be less frequent than the 'free shuttle+local bus' option? 

I am puzzled by the wording "from 7:00 - 7:30 am until 06:30 - 07:00 pm"; are they just giving themselves some flexibility in the start and end times? why not say approx 7:00am to 7:00pm?  EDIT TO ADD - I guess this also tells me we may need to use the local bus+shuttle option on our return, if we get back after 7pm or so! 

Thanks again. Onto your next reply ... 

Edited by Steerpike58

Next, the train options.

Unfortunately, you will be in Civitavecchia on a weekend when there are planned improvements to the high speed train lines, so there are no high speed or IC trains between Rome and Civitavecchia that weekend. 

May I ask where you are getting this info (about line works) from?  I don't doubt the accuracy, I'm just miffed that I've spent the past 2-3 days reading everything I could about this journey and saw no mention of this!   Especially since they have that big 'From June 9 ... ' announcement! 

So there will be no high speed or inter-city trains to Rome. I presume that's why the 'Frecciabianca' train is showing as 'sold out ... / not available... ' on the trenitalia website when I ask for trains from Civitavecchia to Termini.  But I do see the other trains you refer to - the 8:01, 8:42, etc. Very good. 

This may also account for why the normally 10 euro Civitavecchia Express train to S. Pietro and Ostinese is only 4,60 euro.

May I ask where are you seeing this?  The only reference I can find to the Civitavecchia Express train - a special one-time inbound (9:07), one-time outbound (4:30pm) service between Civitavecchia and Roma Ostiense - is this page - Civitavecchia Express: non-stop train for cruise passengers | Port Mobility Civitavecchia .  The page says you can buy the ticket at all trenitalia outlets for 10 Euro. When I go to trenitalia and put in Civitavecchia and Roma Ostiense, for EG Sept 1 (any date but Sunday Sept 15) I see a 9:07 train that is 1h 4m and 4.60Euro, but also a 9:24 train that is 53m and 11.50Euro. On Sept 15, the same 9:07 train is there (slow / cheap), but the 9:24 train is marked as 'sold out .../ not available'. So is it the 9:24 train that is the 'Civitavecchia Express' (asking for the benefit of other travelers on other dates)?   Regardless - for me, looks like we can take any of those regional / slow trains and get off wherever we want.  

It makes your choices easier, if that helps.  Also, since this is a port day stop you won't be dealing with luggage, which is a big reason to book one of the seat assigned trains.

Since they are all regional trains, I would aim for the first one you can get.  You want more time in Rome, not necessarily less time on the train.  If everything goes right you might make the 7:34 train, but more likely you'll get the 8:01.  Both of these trains go all the way to Termini and make the local stops in Rome, so you can get off where you need to.  If you have your day figured out and know where you'll be going first, we can show you which station is best for your needs.

We actually don't know where we want to go yet on that day.  Are all trains heading into Rome going to stop at the same stations?  I found this map somewhere along the way - mappa ferro e tram (feb 2024) (atac.roma.it) and it suggests that the train coming in from Civitavecchia (on the left side of the map, marked FL5) will hit San Pietro, then Trastevere, then Ostiense, but then it's not clear what path it takes - does it head north-east to Termini at Ostiense? 

On to tickets.  You can purchase in advance on line or via the app, but there's really no reason since the price never changes and there are no seat assignments on these trains.

If you will be using the buses and/or metro in Rome to get around, consider buying the 12 euro BIRG ticket.  This covers round trip train fare between Civitavecchia and Rome (on regional trains only) as well as unlimited use of public transit in Rome all day.  You buy this ticket at the newsstand inside the train station, it cannot be purchased on line.

The BIRG sounds like a winner. 

For the return I always recommend taking one or two trains before the last train that would get you back on time.  For a 10 PM departure all aboard will be 9:30, which means arriving at the Civitavecchia station no later than 9:00.  

As it turns out, there are trains arriving at 8:00, then not another until 9:13 (remember, this is a Sunday night).  I think the 8:00 arrival (departs Rome Termini at 6:42 PM and stops at the other Rome stations a few minutes later) is probably fine.  If you are very risk averse you might aim for the train just prior to that, departing Termini at 6:12 PM and arriving to Civitavecchia at 7:22 PM.

Thanks for this detailed info! We'll probably head back circa 6pm. The main question is, what stations are available - Termini, of course, but then also - Ostiense, Trastavere, San Pietro. 

3 hours ago, Steerpike58 said:

Thanks for the info.  Any thoughts on where I might find a schedule of port traffic for that day (9/15)? As noted, I could only find August, not Sept.  My guess is, the Oosterdam will be docked in one of the lower numbered berths as it is under 2,000 passengers. 

Your guess is likely correct, but they don't publish this infor in advance.  For the most part the northern berths are for the really big ships, or off season, for any ship.  In November last year I got on a HAL ship at the northern berth.

Regarding walking - can you take the free shuttle (destined for Largo della Pace) and get off near Forte Michelangelo (at the spot labeled 'Varco Fortezza' on the map), and walk to the train from there? Going all the way to Largo Della Pace seems counterproductive if you plan to walk to the train? I've seen other versions of that map which show that location to be one of the three entry/exit points for the port. 

That would be nice, but they are not supposed to let anyone from the cruise ships off at the fort.  I'm sure it has happened, but I would not count on it.

You mention two shuttle bus options. If we ignore any walking components, then am I correct in saying the two shuttle bus options are:

1) free shuttle to Largo Della Pace, then a local bus - CSP? - to the train station for 2 Euro

2) the 6 euro shuttle direct from ship to train station. I had previously noted this option, but I wasn't aware that it was direct from ship to train, bypassing Largo Della Pace. Cost isn't an issue so it would seem this option is the better one - one journey instead of two, and presumably faster? I presume we board right at our cruise dock (and on the way back, it will bring us to our ship). The only downside could be less frequent than the 'free shuttle+local bus' option? 

The 6 euro bus will be there when your ship docks and continue for a while, then start up for the reverse trip later in the afternoon.  Personally, I don't think it makes any sense to go from the southern berths on the free bus only to wait and pay for a local bus for one mile.  I'd either pay the 6 euro or just walk.

I am puzzled by the wording "from 7:00 - 7:30 am until 06:30 - 07:00 pm"; are they just giving themselves some flexibility in the start and end times? why not say approx 7:00am to 7:00pm?  EDIT TO ADD - I guess this also tells me we may need to use the local bus+shuttle option on our return, if we get back after 7pm or so! 

Thanks again. Onto your next reply ... 

I wouldn't put too much stock in the literal wording, remember that it was first written in Italian and then translated by someone who may know nothing about the actual workings of the port.

2 hours ago, Steerpike58 said:

May I ask where you are getting this info (about line works) from?  I don't doubt the accuracy, I'm just miffed that I've spent the past 2-3 days reading everything I could about this journey and saw no mention of this!   Especially since they have that big 'From June 9 ... ' announcement! 

At first it was an assumption, based on similar circumstances in the past.  Later I confirmed that on the RFI website (parent company of Trenitalia) by googling in Italian.

2 hours ago, Steerpike58 said:

May I ask where are you seeing this?  The only reference I can find to the Civitavecchia Express train - a special one-time inbound (9:07), one-time outbound (4:30pm) service between Civitavecchia and Roma Ostiense - is this page - Civitavecchia Express: non-stop train for cruise passengers | Port Mobility Civitavecchia .  The page says you can buy the ticket at all trenitalia outlets for 10 Euro. When I go to trenitalia and put in Civitavecchia and Roma Ostiense, for EG Sept 1 (any date but Sunday Sept 15) I see a 9:07 train that is 1h 4m and 4.60Euro, but also a 9:24 train that is 53m and 11.50Euro. On Sept 15, the same 9:07 train is there (slow / cheap), but the 9:24 train is marked as 'sold out .../ not available'. So is it the 9:24 train that is the 'Civitavecchia Express' (asking for the benefit of other travelers on other dates)?   Regardless - for me, looks like we can take any of those regional / slow trains and get off wherever we want.  

I think the schedule has been amended for the weekend, due to the lack of high speed trains.

You can get off (and on at the end of the day) at any Rome station with the BIRG ticket.  Keep in mind that not all regional trains stop at the same stations, though I think all stop at S. Pietro, Trastevere, Ostiense and Termini.

To see what stations a train stops at, click on the word "dettagli" on the list of trains (it may say "details on the English language pages)

image.png.171bf1bd6407fdd6bee34c85b9b31b23.png

When you click on "dettagli" a list of stations will appear.  For this particular train, this is the list that comes up:

image.png.8cc819b91c59d40b79e5bd519e1ff283.png

• Thanks 1

I apologize in advance if this has already been answered.

I am renting a car from Hertz at FCO for 6 days, then dropping off at Civitavecchia on embarkation day (a Sunday).  I thought I had read that there was a free shuttle to the port with a stop near Hertz in Civitavecchia, but can't find that now.  From what I'm reading, there is the €6 shuttle from the train station (near Hertz) to the port.  Is there other options besides walking?

Posted (edited)

Unfortunately, Hertz is located near the fort entrance to the port rather than near the Largo della Pace service center, where you can pick up the free shuttle bus.

So yes, either you walk a half block to the train station and get the 6 euro bus, or you walk all the way.

I'm not sure if you can drive into the port to drop off your luggage before you drop off the car, that would be an option in many ports but it's not clear to me if they will let you in unless you have a parking reservation.  It doesn't hurt to try, however, since without luggage it's not a bad walk.

Contact information here:  Contact us | Port Mobility Civitavecchia

Edited to add:

If you are not allowed to drive the rental car into the port to drop off your luggage, I would fall back to dropping off your passenger (s) and the luggage at the Largo della Pace service center where they can get the free shuttle bus to the ship, then returning the car to Hertz.  That way only the driver has to walk from Hertz to the ship, unencumbered by luggage.

Edited by euro cruiser
  • Thanks 1

I should note that walking to the ship is only possible if it is berthed in the southern terminal area.  You cannot walk to the ship if it's in the northern berth (#25).  In this case you're back to taking the 6 euro bus from the train station, or walking 1.2 km/eight-tenths of a mile to the Largo della Pace bus terminal for the free shuttle.

For Trenitalia, the basic info is here:  In case of strike - Trenitalia

The lists of guaranteed trains are here:  

Monday-Saturday national trains:  TABELLA_B_Treni_garantiti_DPLH.pdf (trenitalia.com)

Sunday and Holiday national trains:  TABELLA_A_Treni_garantiti_DPLH.pdf (trenitalia.com)

For regional guaranteed trains, go to this page and select the region:  Treni garantiti in caso di sciopero - Trenitalia

Looking for an opinion, but I don't have time to read through 21 pages of questions.  If you don't mind, we will be sailing a back to back ending and starting in Rome.  However, we are disembarking from one cruise line and embarking on another.  Should I be concerned about delays and missing the 2nd cruise if it's leaving the night that we disembark?  We planned it this way because of the two itineraries we were most interested in and we don't need to go into Rome for the day because we have been there, done that.

1 hour ago, scvgirl said:

Looking for an opinion, but I don't have time to read through 21 pages of questions.  If you don't mind, we will be sailing a back to back ending and starting in Rome.  However, we are disembarking from one cruise line and embarking on another.  Should I be concerned about delays and missing the 2nd cruise if it's leaving the night that we disembark?  We planned it this way because of the two itineraries we were most interested in and we don't need to go into Rome for the day because we have been there, done that.

I wouldn't worry about it.

I agree, you'll have plenty of time.  You'll be off the first ship and cooling your heels waiting for the second one to start boarding.  If you're lucky they will both be berthed in the same area, if you're not you'll need to get from one location in the port to the other.  There are free port shuttle buses to help you out, but it means a two-step process.  First leg from your ship to the service center at Largo della Pace, second leg from Largo della Pace to your next ship.  Cumbersome, but not difficult.