sea sick tablet or injection

godenzi1712

I can make myself motion sick while driving in bad traffic!

I'm a meclizine girl all the way. I start taking it 24 hours before I leave at bedtime, and then every night after. I also take traditional Dramamine with me just in case. I've been thru a hurricane and a blizzard and not had any problems.

• 3 weeks later...

This are available from CVS with a prescription from your Doc.  Work very well.  Wife uses them and starts the morning before we board.  She usually cuts them in half and has found that a 1/2 dose is right for her. Changes and reapplies every 2 to 3 days.

image.thumb.jpeg.f39a89cee2084d81f92b32ae3be81d2f.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...

The patches work well for extended seasickness due to either rough weather (e.g. N. Atlantic in Winter) or for people who are just prone to motion sickness. The patch should be applied at least 24 hours before sailing. I personally use Meclizine tablets because I don't get sick but in really rough conditions I get grumpy. (I've never been queasy on anything the size of a cruise ship.) Meclizine can be purchased in the US without a Rx. The major side effect of either patches or pills is a dry mouth.  Note that Zofran (Ondansetron) is not used to treat motion sickness.

There are some people for whom nothing is effective. For them the only cure is to get off the boat.

• 1 month later...
On 4/30/2022 at 7:10 PM, Nas1861 said:

I use ear patches.  Put them on behind your ears an hour before you sail.  Keep them on the whole time and take them off after you get off.  They last for 2-3 days so on longer cruises, you need to change them out half way through the cruise.  If you swim a lot, you may need to change them out more.  My first whale watching trip in Hawaii 20 years ago, the captain told me to put an ice cube behind my ear and it really helped.  Now there are patches that do the same thing.  TherBefore e is an acupressure point behind your ear that helps with nausea.  No drugs, no drowsiness, no shots.  Also, my first cruise, I only had 1 patch on behind one ear and was feeling sick still.  I put the second patch on behind the other ear and felt much better about 10 minutes later. 

I've just returned from 7 nights on RCLs Serenade of the Seas.  My first-ever cruise.  Several days before boarding I asked my primary care physician to prescribe Scopolamine patches.  Other than the last night of the cruise, the ship seemed steady.  Maybe I needed something, maybe not ... but it was my first cruise and I wanted to be ready. 

On 8/22/2022 at 8:33 AM, WESTEAST said:

Personally found that travelling with Gravol and Gravol Ginger very helpful. However, since 2018 always travel with the Reliefband and it is the best solution for all types of motion sickness. It is a non drug and side effect free solution: https://www.reliefband.com. 

I have looked at these but haven't found any personal testimonies. I am glad to know they work.

Which model do you have?  I wish their website had a comparison chart, although the waterproof sport one seems to be the top option to have on a boat.

21 minutes ago, SunshineGal2022 said:

I have looked at these but haven't found any personal testimonies. I am glad to know they work.

Which model do you have?  I wish their website had a comparison chart, although the waterproof sport one seems to be the top option to have on a boat.

I have the Premier model and use it when there is lots of 'motion in the ocean' and on land excursions for those winding or switch-back roads. There are personal testimonials on the site https://www.reliefband.com/blogs/testimonials. 

Hey there, I used to go the route of meds too.. I tend to get Seasick on even the smallest of ships. But started using (yes I'm a guy) an electronic Morning Sickness bracelet for expecting mom's. it helps with Morning sickness.. well surprise surprise it works exactly the same way for Sea Sickness too 🙂 I did not even need to take a single anti seasick med or patch or anything on our last cruise with this device.. Not too expensive, lasts about 8 hours on a charge (I got two so I could alternate them). the one I have has four settings, the rougher the rocking the higher I set it.. when it's on the two lowest settings (which is the level I had it on most of the time, you don't really feel anything, but if on setting 3 or 4 you do feel the electrical current in the wrist, but believe me it's better than the Seasickness). This is not an advert just simply I'm using the one called EmeTerm (TM) A thought for those that don't want to put drugs in their body for a whole cruise ;-). There are many to choose from, just make sure you pick one with multiple settings so you can adjust it to your comfort level and waviness of the waters. 🙂 

2 minutes ago, TheFun1 said:

Hey there, I used to go the route of meds too.. I tend to get Seasick on even the smallest of ships. But started using (yes I'm a guy) an electronic Morning Sickness bracelet for expecting mom's. it helps with Morning sickness.. well surprise surprise it works exactly the same way for Sea Sickness too 🙂 I did not even need to take a single anti seasick med or patch or anything on our last cruise with this device.. Not too expensive, lasts about 8 hours on a charge (I got two so I could alternate them). the one I have has four settings, the rougher the rocking the higher I set it.. when it's on the two lowest settings (which is the level I had it on most of the time, you don't really feel anything, but if on setting 3 or 4 you do feel the electrical current in the wrist, but believe me it's better than the Seasickness). This is not an advert just simply I'm using the one called EmeTerm (TM) A thought for those that don't want to put drugs in their body for a whole cruise ;-). There are many to choose from, just make sure you pick one with multiple settings so you can adjust it to your comfort level and waviness of the waters. 🙂 

NOTE: The relief bands are much more expensive than the Maternity Bands and they do the exact same thing I believe.. light electrical current thru the wrist. just saying many many options. 

• 1 month later...

In 2003 my DH and I were scheduled to take our first cruise. My mother advised that I get the Rx patch for behind my ear. Despite being in my late 30’s I followed my mother’s advice.

On day 3 of the cruise, I watched the patch go down the shower drain. I said to myself, “I don’t need those  just because my mother does!”

I woke up as sick as a dog. I put on a new patch, but it takes hours to kick in. I had to be walking around to not be puking. Got my steps in that day!

Heading out this summer on our 5th cruise. You bet I’ll have that patch on several hours before embarkation. 
Talk to your doctor and have several options available. When we took our young children with us, I carried the non medicinal wrist bands. They helped my son. 
Wishing you all smooth sailing!

On 1/1/2023 at 11:38 PM, teachswim said:

IOn day 3 of the cruise, I watched the patch go down the shower drain. I said to myself, “I don’t need those just because my mother does!”

My behind the ear patch came off twice ... sunscreen, showering, etc.  But the prescription included several patches.

Tablets, bands, ginger, patches are the way to go. If you get a really bad case of sea sickness the shot will make you feel better but, it will also knock you out of commission for at least a day and change. 

Enjoy your cruise. 

Jonathan

• 6 months later...
On 11/26/2022 at 12:34 PM, TheFun1 said:

EmeTerm is actually promoted for use against motion and sea sickness. I’m about to order mine for my next 2 cruises. The batter life of Fashion and Adventure are both 30+ hours but the new mini version is only 10. I assume you have one of the older models they don’t sell anymore. 

Dramamine, Bonine, and the patch’s are not available in Canada. They are approved but the companies stopped selling them here. My doctor said the only option is pills that will knock you out for the night or Gravol (did not help me one bit last time). I buy less drowsy Dramamine when I visit the US and am ordering EmeTerm Fashion to try on my Alaskan cruise before my big TA.

Edited by SoloAlaska

• 2 weeks later...