Klondike Summit excursion question

Kitty Ellas Mom

I'm thinking of adding a 2nd excursion to my Skagway day. We are in port from early AM until 8:30 pm and I'm booked on the train in the early AM, ending around 11.  I was originally on an 8 hr bus up / train down tour that went into Carcross etc, but I canceled that as soon as I heard about the tours on the train not extending into Canada for 2022.  Question is, there is a tempting bus tour offered by Princess in the afternoon that goes "to the Klondike summit" stopping many times along the way. Is "Klondike summit" past where the train goes when it stays in Alaska--the "White Pass summit?"  Please forgive my ignorance, but I've been looking at maps and still can't figure this out.  I recognize a lot of the names, like Bridal Veil Falls, as places I'd also see from the train.  I get the impression this bus tour goes further b/c you need a passport.  I"m also thinking of one of those sled dogs/ musher's camp tours instead, but am more interested in going into Canada if this tour actually does that.  I can see how being able to get off the bus and take photos would be very different than being on the train.

58 minutes ago, Kitty Ellas Mom said:

I'm thinking of adding a 2nd excursion to my Skagway day. We are in port from early AM until 8:30 pm and I'm booked on the train in the early AM, ending around 11.  I was originally on an 8 hr bus up / train down tour that went into Carcross etc, but I canceled that as soon as I heard about the tours on the train not extending into Canada for 2022.  Question is, there is a tempting bus tour offered by Princess in the afternoon that goes "to the Klondike summit" stopping many times along the way. Is "Klondike summit" past where the train goes when it stays in Alaska--the "White Pass summit?"  Please forgive my ignorance, but I've been looking at maps and still can't figure this out.  I recognize a lot of the names, like Bridal Veil Falls, as places I'd also see from the train.  I get the impression this bus tour goes further b/c you need a passport.  I"m also thinking of one of those sled dogs/ musher's camp tours instead, but am more interested in going into Canada if this tour actually does that.  I can see how being able to get off the bus and take photos would be very different than being on the train.

Try this Google Map - ZOOM - in and out as necessary for details ---

At the bottom is Skagway - the top Carcross - Canada Highway 2 is the Klondike highway

Google Maps

Difference:

The Klondike Summit is in reference to the trans border highway AK 98 and BC 2

The WPYRR trains go to White Pass Summit 

The Summit train actually goes into Canada for about a mile and loops back to return -

there is mock Canadian border check-point at the Summit but it is all faux the Canadian

Border check point by rail is at Fraser - the US border point is on Highway 98 on the

opposite side of the valley that the WPYRR train runs. The train and road merge at

Fraser and then diverge at Log Cabin, Chilkoot Trail, White Pass and Yukon Route where

the train takes the Lake Bennett route to Carcross and Klondike highway another (see map).

In review the WPYRR is operating round trips to the Summit -

but "NO" further i.e. Fraser/Carcross

The Bus tours are operating round trip but NO train combos.

• Like 1

Thank you, I see on the map how the road turns from 98 into 2 as it crosses the border.  I still don't understand if "Klondike summit" is significantly deeper into Canada than "White Pass Summit."  The 2nd tour I'm thinking of is only by bus and promises to go to the Klondike summit.

12 minutes ago, Kitty Ellas Mom said:

Thank you, I see on the map how the road turns from 98 into 2 as it crosses the border.  I still don't understand if "Klondike summit" is significantly deeper into Canada than "White Pass Summit."  The 2nd tour I'm thinking of is only by bus and promises to go to the Klondike summit.

They both will cover the same basic sights, just from a different perspective - White Pass Summit on the train and Klondike Summit (named for the Klondike Hwy) on the bus. They both will turn around just after the border to return to Skagway. 

If you’re not interested in doing both, You might want to just explore Skagway in the afternoon or see if there is an excursion to Haines after your morning train trip. I did that on my first Alaska cruise and we saw a few bears in Haines and 3-4 whales from the boat on the way back from Haines. I would book any afternoon tours through Princess to make sure the ship will wait for you in case you have any delays.

• 1 month later...

I did the train this morning. Gorgeous! And it was about 78 around noon and sunny,  but the wind really kicked up this afternoon. I went to the Skagway Brewing Co for a beer after the train ride.  Zuiderdam is docked right in town. Grand Princess and Carnival Miracle are farther away. 

6 hours ago, Jlhutch6 said:

I’m doing Chilkoot Yukon bus tour in the morning to Emerald Lake & Carcross, then the train in the afternoon at 4:15 with Princess. 

Hi I think I am doing same Chilkoot tour in August... the Yukon Klondike Bus Tour? I really wanted to do the train but it's not going beyond border this year. I didn't think about doing both until I saw your post, thanks!