Is it true that you can't have the current cruise price if you change sailing date?

I have a RCCL Caribbean booking for September this year but want to change it to next year when I'm hoping there will be no pre-cruise testing (as we live in Australia).  I understand I have to pay the $100/pp change fee, but when I called today, RCCL says I can't access the current sale (I can only change it to the full price amount).  So, in other words, they are telling me I have to lose my $800NRD and start a new booking to access the current sale-this is so frustrating!

50 minutes ago, jspitz1 said:

I have a RCCL Caribbean booking for September this year but want to change it to next year when I'm hoping there will be no pre-cruise testing (as we live in Australia).  I understand I have to pay the $100/pp change fee, but when I called today, RCCL says I can't access the current sale (I can only change it to the full price amount).  So, in other words, they are telling me I have to lose my $800NRD and start a new booking to access the current sale-this is so frustrating!

If you change ship and sail date there will be a $100 per person penalty and you have to pay whatever the current rates are for the cruise that you want to switch to.

When did you book this sailing?

If you booked prior to March 31, 2022 and your sailing is before Sept 30, 2022 the you are covered under cruise with confidence and you can cancel your sailing and get your entire deposit (no penalty) back as an FCC that would be valid for 12 months from the date of the sailing that you cancelled.  You would still have to pay the current rates of the sailing you are trying to book.

Sorry i mean our original cruise was booked for October 2022 so not covered by CWC unfortunately.  RccL telling me I can,t get todays sale price even if i pay the $100pp change fee-surely this is not correct.

That makes no sense. If the future cruise you’re trying to book is “on sale,” then that’s the published price that they have to book you at. You probably already know this, but just in case: Be aware that they always have some kind of “sale” going on, and the discount is already factored in to the listed price. So, if their 30% off sale lists a $1000 cruise price, that means that the $1000 is already 30% off—you’re not going to get it for $700. But if you know that and the website says it’s $1000 but they’re trying to charge you more than that (not factoring taxes and port fees, etc), then something is wrong. I know people are complaining about hold times, but I would call back and try to talk to someone else.

5 hours ago, jspitz1 said:

RccL telling me I can,t get todays sale price even if i pay the $100pp change fee-surely this is not correct.

There may be some weird rules with Aussie bookings (pre COVID you could get price drops but had to cancel and rebook), but like most RCI calls, you can call back and get a different answer.

Thanks so much for your replies.  I called back as suggested and got a completely different answer.  The original customer service person said I was only entitled to change it to a fully priced fare, but the 2nd one I spoke to said there was no problem changing our cruise to next year (at today's sale price).  So frustrating!!!

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, jspitz1 said:

Thanks so much for your replies.  I called back as suggested and got a completely different answer.  The original customer service person said I was only entitled to change it to a fully priced fare, but the 2nd one I spoke to said there was no problem changing our cruise to next year (at today's sale price).  So frustrating!!!

Glad that it worked out and I think the original rep did not understand what you were asking and that there was a bit of mis communication.

I think that the original rep was thinking that you wanted to move your booking at your current price (like a lift and shift, which is no longer offered) and they were telling you at full price meaning prevailing rates with whatever the current promotion was.  Either way it worked out in the end.

• Like 2