Shopping for boots in Oslo

We embark in Oslo for a 32 day Vikings and Baltic Shores cruise.  We will be in the Arctic Circle in early September.  I'm wondering if I need boots to keep warm and dry for these visits and excursions.  I'm looking at ATV and RIB tours with the strong possibility of getting wet.  Boots (and other cold weather clothing) are not in my wardrobe in South Florida.  What about buying some boots upon arrival in Oslo?  I will not bring them home - maybe donate them somewhere.  Any thoughts?

Deb

Edited by nursinadream
spelling

6 hours ago, nursinadream said:

We embark in Oslo for a 32 day Vikings and Baltic Shores cruise.  We will be in the Arctic Circle in early September.  I'm wondering if I need boots to keep warm and dry for these visits and excursions.  I'm looking at ATV and RIB tours with the strong possibility of getting wet.  Boots (and other cold weather clothing) are not in my wardrobe in South Florida.  What about buying some boots upon arrival in Oslo?  I will not bring them home - maybe donate them somewhere.  Any thoughts?

Deb

Buying wearable boots in Norway is going to be expensive, the best option I can think of is buying less expensive snow boots, these are usually fabric lined in fleece and waterproof with good soles. They would probably be available in most shoe stores but I have no idea of less expensive brands in Norway (we’re in Scotland), typically we could buy cheaper ones around £20-£50, and better quality ones for around £100 (and more ). Mountain and outdoor stores might sell cheaper ones (avoiding the stores you go to for your Everest expedition). The other thing to buy would be good quality socks, gloves hat and parka (waterproof). All these are probably less expensive in outdoor stores, I buy Landsend coats, they’ve taken me everywhere (not up Everest). But it may not be that cold in September? Definitely above 0 Celsius, maybe 5 ? We went on the hurtigruten in September once and although I think I did buy a beanie, my coat etc must have been ok. 

• Like 1

Just now, ozscotart said:

Buying wearable boots in Norway is going to be expensive, the best option I can think of is buying less expensive snow boots, these are usually fabric lined in fleece and waterproof with good soles. They would probably be available in most shoe stores but I have no idea of less expensive brands in Norway (we’re in Scotland), typically we could buy cheaper ones around £20-£50, and better quality ones for around £100 (and more ). Mountain and outdoor stores might sell cheaper ones (avoiding the stores you go to for your Everest expedition). The other thing to buy would be good quality socks, gloves hat and parka (waterproof). All these are probably less expensive in outdoor stores, I buy Landsend coats, they’ve taken me everywhere (not up Everest). But it may not be that cold in September? Definitely above 0 Celsius, maybe 5 ? We went on the hurtigruten in September once and although I think I did buy a beanie, my coat etc must have been ok. 

And everywhere a cruise ship goes there’s a shop selling outdoor gear, though not cheap. Your own boots are a good idea though. 

Yes you definitely need good boots but also warm and windproof clothes which of course can be bought in Oslo - try for example Helly Hansen, Karl Johans gate 3.

But there are many more options like The North Face or 66˚North.

Buying clothes in Norway can be quite expensive - you can check prices and options online at the web.

In addition to excursions, there will also be the possibility of the Northern Lights - it can be cold at night if you stay on the outer deck of a ship at night.

Best way to dress for the cold is dress in layers. Use many thin, warm layers rather than a few thick layers. It will insulate better and allow you to strip off layers if the temperature rise. Also remember to wear more than one layer on your legs. 

Use water proof and insulated boots and wear  warm socks. Wool is best, alternatively good synthetic fleece socks. You can also layer socks.

Use a good quality coat, parka, or jacket. For the coat, the thicker the better,. Can either be synthetic jacket, a wool pea coat, or a down jacket. 

A warm hat is a must as well as  comfortable, warm gloves or mittens. Fingers and hands are very vulnerable to the cold, so keep them covered.

• Like 2

Thank you both for your responses.  What I've learned from you is that I certainly need something to keep my feet warm - something that I don't own and would prefer not to pack.  I like @ozscotartidea of a snow boot.  I would like to get those on arrival.  Thanks for mentioning the stores and the approximate price range.  Perhaps someone at our hotel can direct us to store for this.  Warm gloves, socks and layers I can get here or online and pack.

Deb

There's absolutely nothing wrong with brands like Helly Hansen, The North Face and its likes, but their "flagship" stores at Karl Johans street will for sure not be the least expensive option. In downtown Oslo I would rather go to a large sporting goods retail store that sells a number of brands, for example XXL (https://www.xxl.no). They will have both more high-end and expensive choices as well as less expensive budget brands. For all kinds of brands they however often (as in "all of the time") have various "campaign offers" with significant discounts, so you might be lucky there's a campaign on exactly what you need.

If you plan to spend significant time outside you really cannot put a price tag on being warm and dry. Early september weather is also unfortunately impossible to predict, it might be "warm and cosy" (well, not Florida warm) but it might also be 5-10 degrees celsius, windy and raining cats and dogs.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Sucellos said:

I would rather go to a large sporting goods retail store that sells a number of brands, for example XXL (https://www.xxl.no). They will have both more high-end and expensive choices as well as less expensive budget brands.

Thanks for this advice.  Is it reasonable that I can get to downtown area via bus, taxi or Uber?  A large retail store seems like a good option.

Deb

5 hours ago, nursinadream said:

Thanks for this advice.  Is it reasonable that I can get to downtown area via bus, taxi or Uber?  A large retail store seems like a good option.

Deb

As of now your ship is scheduled to dock more or less in the downtown area. Your point of embarkation would be just approximately 800 meters from the XXL store I thought of as an example, and I'd guess if you have a pre-embarkation hotel it might be in the same area too. Buses and taxis available, but I'd say the area is easier and quicker to navigate by foot. 

• Like 1

Another vote for XXL.  Reasonable prices for Norway, and very easy to get to.  We spent a week in Oslo and went to that shop more than once since it's so centrally located.  Oslo is a walkable city as far as downtown goes, and their T-bane and buses are excellent as well. 

• Like 1