What to do in Anchorage while waiting for evening flight

LCW

Looking for inexpensive activities in Anchorage.  Our flight doesn't leave until 9pm, and we don't want to spend a ton of money, or exhaust ourselves before the Red eye back to the East Coast.

Toying with seeing their zoo, trolley tour, or earthquake park if there is anything to see there (photos seem to show an area reclaimed by nature).   Open to other suggestions.  In upper 50's w/14 yr old girl in tow.  Took a taxi last time to see old house from my grade school days...didn't recognize the place. 

23 hours ago, LCW said:

Looking for inexpensive activities in Anchorage.  Our flight doesn't leave until 9pm, and we don't want to spend a ton of money, or exhaust ourselves before the Red eye back to the East Coast.

Toying with seeing their zoo, trolley tour, or earthquake park if there is anything to see there (photos seem to show an area reclaimed by nature).   Open to other suggestions.  In upper 50's w/14 yr old girl in tow.  Took a taxi last time to see old house from my grade school days...didn't recognize the place. 

Aviation museum

• Like 1

We have the same issue, red eye home. 

We are taking ship shuttle to airport that am and have rented a car there for the day.   Our plan is to go to Salish Lodge for brunch and visit Snoqualmie Falls.  Then back to airport for dinner before flights at 10 pm.

We do not currently have a car.  Since we will be in Anchorage overnight, and don't have to be at the airport until 7pm, we'll have a long time after checking out of the hotel to burn.  

I don't know if you are a museum type of person but there is a wonderful museum in Anchorage.  Also there is a great outside market that is open on Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

Personally I was disappointed w the Native Heritage Center but if you are interested in in, there used to be a shuttle that took you from downtown to the Heritage Center.  I don't know if it is still running so you need to check this out.

One other thing that most visitors to Anchorage are unaware of is that the Alaska Native Medical Center has wonderful exhibits of native artwork and also a great gift shop that sells art and handicrafts done by the native peoples.  We have bought stuff at the gift shop.  Their stock is not Chinese made junk but quality works with fair prices.  You will need an Uber to get there and check on hours and gift shop opening times before you go there.  The gift shop may be closed because of Covid.  

DON

Edited by donaldsc
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, donaldsc said:

Also there is a great outside market that is open on Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

Excellent suggestions, Don!  I forgot about the market; never knew about the Alaska Native Medical Center and its art exhibits or gift shop.  I had heard about the shuttle to the Native Heritage Center, but it was not operating when I was there.  

We are in the same situation. Sadly we can’t find a way to Portage Glacier that is reasonably priced and gets us to the airport by 7 PM. (Pick up from Anchorage is only once daily at 1:30 PM, taking 5 1/2 hrs.) SOOooo, we too will be on the Tony Knowles Coastal Trail, either walking or biking. Still not a bad way to spend our last day of vacation. 😊

• Like 1