Saudi Arabia - visa?

little britain

5 hours ago, lnm576 said:

Anyone have any info on the January 7th sailing out of Dubai on MSC World Europa? We have been trying to get a confirmation from msc on if we are even going to Saudi Arabia anymore or if Bahrain is going to replace it. The visa issue seems to still be a problem! 

Yes the visa issue is still a problem and negotiations between SA and MSC appears to be at a stalemate, and IMO the issue isn't likely to be solved over the next few weeks.   Bahrain was a great stop, just wish we had more time to plan excursions, but the schedule change was short notice.  

Edited by Noncon

1 hour ago, Noncon said:

Yes the visa issue is still a problem and negotiations between SA and MSC appears to be at a stalemate, and IMO the issue isn't likely to be solved over the next few weeks.   Bahrain was a great stop, just wish we had more time to plan excursions, but the schedule change was short notice.  

Don´t forget last season the problem was not solved at all. And MSC changed Dammam into a sea day instead of changing to Bahrain. Certainly with ZERO compensation for the guests, that was very unfair. 

Good point. 

Also just as an FYI, if you are taking this cruise you will be required to surrender your passport at some point. For us since we boarded in Qatar we surrender our inside the terminal at the first UAE port (Dubai). Not sure when they will ask for your passport if you board in the UAE.  Either way, you will get them back the night before the Bahrain port. The cabin stewards will deliver them to your room.

2 hours ago, Noncon said:

Bahrain wasnt very interesting. There is the F1 Track and a mosque and a souq, but nothing really interesting. Today it was raining in the morning so also no good weather.

I booked 13 staterooms for my family and have been watching this thread for any indications of changed to the Damman stop for their Jan 22 sailing. Should I expect an email from MSC a week before the sail date or sooner? I am not sailing myself but I am planning their excursions so any information would be helpful.

Does any know if a travel medical insurance is required to enter the UAE? They are flying from the USA to Abu Dhabi.

Also, I applied for the MSC UAE cruise visas for the travelers that are not US citizens through Sharaf Tours. I sent in the documents and applications before Christmas but have not received any confirmation or responses. Is anyone else having this issue as well?

Thank you.

17 minutes ago, transientoftheseas said:

I booked 13 staterooms for my family and have been watching this thread for any indications of changed to the Damman stop for their Jan 22 sailing. Should I expect an email from MSC a week before the sail date or sooner? I am not sailing myself but I am planning their excursions so any information would be helpful.

Does any know if a travel medical insurance is required to enter the UAE? They are flying from the USA to Abu Dhabi.

Also, I applied for the MSC UAE cruise visas for the travelers that are not US citizens through Sharaf Tours. I sent in the documents and applications before Christmas but have not received any confirmation or responses. Is anyone else having this issue as well?

Thank you.

You may not hear until the day before you are supposed to hit the port.  I have absolutely zero faith in MSC notifying passengers in advance.  And dont count on calling and getting a correct answer either.

Edited by Lisichka
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, transientoftheseas said:

You can only wait. And monitor closely if Damman will be on the map for the next two sailings. I doubt it. 

4 hours ago, transientoftheseas said:

Thank you.

We recived an email 8 days before the sailing starts about the change to bahrain. We recived a full refund of all our visa costs from MSC in a day.

14 hours ago, Nikita4 said:

We recived an email 8 days before the sailing starts about the change to bahrain. We recived a full refund of all our visa costs from MSC in a day.

How was the visa cost refunded please - as OBC ( refundable) or to your credit card?

Did you get full refund of the expensive £120 one or the cheaper £22 one? Which had you bought? Thanks 🙏 

3 hours ago, little britain said:

How was the visa cost refunded please - as OBC ( refundable) or to your credit card?

Did you get full refund of the expensive £120 one or the cheaper £22 one? Which had you bought? Thanks 🙏 

We had the 25 Euro visas and get the refound between 12 hours. You have to give a copy of the paymentinfos from your visas to the concierge or the customer service.

42 minutes ago, Nikita4 said:

We had the 25 Euro visas and get the refound between 12 hours. You have to give a copy of the paymentinfos from your visas to the concierge or the customer service.

Did you ever actually receive the visa or had you just paid for it?  People are saying you are supposedly getting the Visa 3 days before scheduled visit, so if that is the case (and the visa worked) you must have received it by email?

Edited by Lisichka

I note that the 2023/2024 season of Red Cruises aboard MSC Orchestra have dropped KSA Yanbu Al Bahr as a port of destination and replaced it with Sharm El Sheih. I wonder if this has anything to do with the KSA visa issues.

Edited by nuvolablue

The way the transit visa works is you apply and pay. Nothing then happens until 48hrs before the ship docks when MSC send the ships manifest to the Saudi visa people. They check the ships manifest and if you have successfully applied for a transit visa it is emailed to you. If MSC send the manifest late the visas are late . You will not get a transit visa sooner than MSC submit the manifest. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, stephenSJ said:

The way the transit visa works is you apply and pay. Nothing then happens until 48hrs before the ship docks when MSC send the ships manifest to the Saudi visa people. They check the ships manifest and if you have successfully applied for a transit visa it is emailed to you. If MSC send the manifest late the visas are late . You will not get a transit visa sooner than MSC submit the manifest. 

A good explanation but some passenger we met (like from france) received their transit visa for KSA 7 days before the cruise started. 

Edited by Aeroplex

12 hours ago, stephenSJ said:

You are saying you paid nothing for the transit visa, you applied and paid nothing, you got the transit visa for free?

10 minutes ago, Newleno said:

You are saying you paid nothing for the transit visa, you applied and paid nothing, you got the transit visa for free?

I think you missed the period [.] between pay and Nothing.  ...you apply and pay, then nothing happens until...

9 hours ago, Aeroplex said:

A good explanation but some passenger we met (like from france) received their transit visa for KSA 7 days before the cruise started. 

I have copied and pasted a copy of the info given by the Saudi Governement cruise people to the ship explaining the system. It could be that for their own reasons on occasion the Saudis issue transit visas early  based on the earlier ships manifest they have been given. 

Transit Visa online application – Ship Management Notes

You will receive an updated guideline once there is any change in the MOFA portal

❖ To the Ship management:

1. Ensure the manifest details (Passengers list) are correct as per the passenger passport.

2. Share the confirmed booking list (manifest) continuously with Cruise Saudi team, including (passenger’s full name, passport number, date of birth, nationality, and gender), to approve the eVisaimmediately by the authorities.

3. Share the final manifest 48Hrs before the ship arrivals to Jeddah/Dammam.

4. Please ensure the applicant has the eVisa printed or downloaded on their devices and presented at the Immigration counter

22 hours ago, stephenSJ said:

4 hours ago, stephenSJ said:

I have copied and pasted a copy of the info given by the Saudi Governement cruise people to the ship explaining the system. It could be that for their own reasons on occasion the Saudis issue transit visas early  based on the earlier ships manifest they have been given. 

Transit Visa online application – Ship Management Notes

You will receive an updated guideline once there is any change in the MOFA portal

❖ To the Ship management:

1. Ensure the manifest details (Passengers list) are correct as per the passenger passport.

2. Share the confirmed booking list (manifest) continuously with Cruise Saudi team, including (passenger’s full name, passport number, date of birth, nationality, and gender), to approve the eVisaimmediately by the authorities.

3. Share the final manifest 48Hrs before the ship arrivals to Jeddah/Dammam.

4. Please ensure the applicant has the eVisa printed or downloaded on their devices and presented at the Immigration counter

These posts are very helpful, but a great pity that MSC do not make this clear to passengers prior to them embarking. Why can't they just add some of the detail above to their Red Sea Cruise visa page:

https://www.msccruises.com/en-gl/assets/document-visa-red-sea.pdf

???