Haugesund instead of Stavenger?

Going on Carnival Pride to Norway June 2023.  Was comparing their 2022 cruise and see that they are going to Haugesund instead of Stavenger.  Port seems much smaller with less things to do.  Anyone familiar with Haugesund?

Haugesund is not a good substitution for Stavanger. Much smaller as you say, and really not much to see. Im not sure of the "must does" in Haugesund, what tours are Carnival providing? I guess the port of Stavanger is full that day. 

Haugesund are a very popular port for the Cruise Companies, i guess its because of the easy access. 

• Thanks 1

On 5/4/2022 at 5:13 PM, EllieinNJ said:

Going on Carnival Pride to Norway June 2023.  Was comparing their 2022 cruise and see that they are going to Haugesund instead of Stavanger.  Port seems much smaller with less things to do.  Anyone familiar with Haugesund?

The newest P&O ship, Iona, is calling there regularly and she can be fed there (LNG), so I expect Carnival Corp will have a good deal on regular calls.  Probably more chance that people will take ship's excursions from there as well.  Does not help you, but probably explains the reason.

• Thanks 1

We will be docking in Haugesund in July 2022. Our roll call forum has found 3 tour companies after much griping about the lack of things to do in the city (and that we're docking on a Sunday), and we're booked with Go Viking Adventures for their regional highlights bus tour. I hope this helps!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
10 hours ago, lamondys said:

@thehowlingroad how was the bus tour in Haugesund? would you recommend something else?

About that… our port stop got canceled due to bad weather so I don’t know how the bus tour was! But Go Viking Adventures was so responsive with issuing refunds as soon as they were notified by passengers and the port authorities that we would not be docking. They said my refund would be issued within 5-10 business days but I had

mine 17 mins after our email exchange.

Edited by thehowlingroad
  • Like 2

We went to Haugesund Thursday 12 My 2022. We visited Aakrafjord to see the Lang Fossen waterfall (610m high).  

Sailing on P and O Iona with a bow cabin (photo attached), and photo of Lang Fossen waterfall on an open boat with a rain storm (yes I know good clothes negate bad weather - Gore-Tex head to toes). 

Of interest the image looked black and white in the camera but post production brought out the colours. 

Would recommend this visit if you are a photographer or just interested in seeing raw nature. 

_DAR5420.JPG

DAR12.JPG

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...