Saga of Eclipse Barnacles continues

Peteymil

12 hours ago, catspaw1 said:

Yes thank God for USN. Yes we have facilities that commercial ships don't have but they have a routine maintenance schedule. It appears Celebrity does not. USN also has an outstanding dive team. And yes a ship needs to be checked on a regular basis to monitor conditions. 

What Cheng said appeared to go right over your head. Carry on. 

Edited by PTC DAWG
  • Like 4

Here is a portion of a quote from someone on a YouTube video that mentioned this sailing .... "What probably has happened is barnacles are growing around the seals for the azimuth pods. The seals are what keeps oil from leaking out or water into the pods gears. I have had this same problem on ships that were reactivated after sitting for few years years back that I was in charge of."

On 5/10/2022 at 5:59 AM, catspaw1 said:

As you should know, any government agency on any level- local,  state & federal is not out to nor can they legally, with the exception of revolving funds, make a profit. The governments mission is to serve the US people. From my experience working for USN, there is no one else that can compete with the Navy. Very high standards. But it sounds like Celebrity blew this whole barnacle episode. I wonder how many people would not book a celebrity cruise again after this fiasco?  If compensation was better maybe, but they did not seem to treat passengers well with low compensation. Just IMHO.

They probably blew it but to be fair, all cruise lines mess up on a constant basis. I don't see this any different as compared to the company telling you that the cruise is cancelled because of a charter or because "they need to reduce capacity". Look at what's going on at Cunard right now, they are kicking out the lowest revenue passengers to lower the amount of pax on board. And we're talking Cunard here, not some ratchet line with a pirate flag.

As with airlines, I think the disgruntled passengers who vow to leave one line and seek out another balance themselves out. I never can wrap my head around how badly managed the hotel operations on cruises are, how incompetent the customer service is and let's not talk about the IT/websites. They all suck to some degree.

On 5/10/2022 at 6:36 AM, dodger1964 said:

3 hours in port has to be a record?

Probably. At the same time our arrival into Victoria on Thursday was a joke as well. 17:30 and people weren't allowed off until ~18:45. Many if not most didn't even bother.