Covid on the Breeze

Barrycat

48 minutes ago, minidonuts85 said:

That does seem odd to me. If I paid it out of pocket I’d expect it back same as my cruise fare. 

When I say all, that included cruise fare. The total dollars spent was divided by two and issued as FCC to each of us. That means they are retaining even the port fees and taxes until use / refund which feels questionable.

We purchased insurance from a broker and have received an extension until December 2023.

Seems illogical and inefficient to me, but maybe they are hoping people will use the FCC to rebook in the near future instead of opting for a refund.

I will not. Covid is still too much with us. While I am not worried about dying from it, I am worried about the disruptions it causes. This cancelled cruise is all I need to illustrate to me the remaining impediments to cruising. I’m just glad I did not get caught up in quarantine either on the ship or in Vancouver.

Edited by Babr

On 5/26/22, we canceled our 5/29 - 6/6 Star Legend Cruise to Norway because one of us received a positive PCR test result. (No symptoms and 4 negative rapid antigen test results, so the PCR result may have been a false positive.) We had no problems with Windstar customer service because we provided a little more than 48 hours notice. Today (6/9/22), the FCC certificates arrived via email.

The extra amounts we paid for all-inclusive upgrade and other items are being posted back to our credit card, according to Windstar. As soon as that happens, I'm ready to book another trip. But I confess I get nervous when I read CC posts about delays in paying passengers for entire cruises that were canceled due to Covid. We lost real money when Crystal Cruises went under. We would hate to live through sort of thing a second time.

1 hour ago, kmtoner said:

On 5/26/22, we canceled our 5/29 - 6/6 Star Legend Cruise to Norway because one of us received a positive PCR test result. (No symptoms and 4 negative rapid antigen test results, so the PCR result may have been a false positive.) We had no problems with Windstar customer service because we provided a little more than 48 hours notice. Today (6/9/22), the FCC certificates arrived via email.

The extra amounts we paid for all-inclusive upgrade and other items are being posted back to our credit card, according to Windstar. As soon as that happens, I'm ready to book another trip. But I confess I get nervous when I read CC posts about delays in paying passengers for entire cruises that were canceled due to Covid. We lost real money when Crystal Cruises went under. We would hate to live through sort of thing a second time.

Makes me nervous, too. I realize this is not the same situation as Crystal, but it does have the feel of a delaying tactic while they float every cent - even port fees and taxes - to fund operations.

• 2 weeks later...

Cruise cancelled by Windstar May 6.

FCC certificate received June 6.

Cash refund requested June 6.

Today I called for a status update. Apologies only because of the volume of refunds being processed manually by an understaffed accounting department. Expect 4-6 weeks - this after already waiting 4 weeks for a certificate that I never wanted in the first place.

The shine is off Windstar as far as I am concerned. If I ever get my money back, I’ll spend it elsewhere and not necessarily for a cruise.

Babr

You might not have wanted the FCC “in the first place” but that’s what you signed on for when you booked the cruise. Granted the cruise itself is what you hoped for but things don’t always work out the way we hope, especially now, but a well informed consumer should be aware of the well publicized aspects, and it is well publicized, of any agreement they sign on to.

One month to receive the FCC seems reasonable, the cash in my experience will be on the way. Whatever, it could have been a Crystal booking

6 hours ago, Barrycat said:

Babr

You might not have wanted the FCC “in the first place” but that’s what you signed on for when you booked the cruise. Granted the cruise itself is what you hoped for but things don’t always work out the way we hope, especially now, but a well informed consumer should be aware of the well publicized aspects, and it is well publicized, of any agreement they sign on to.

One month to receive the FCC seems reasonable, the cash in my experience will be on the way. Whatever, it could have been a Crystal booking

The FCC is not the final resolution. It is a step in the work process, which I find unnecessary.

This is not the normal situation of a customer-initiated cancellation. Windstar suspended operations. In that case, I should have been given the option of a prompt refund. 

It has nothing to do with being uninformed. It has everything to do with being dissatisfied with a cumbersome process that does not consider the wishes of the customer in unusual circumstances.

I’m glad to know your experience suggests the refund will follow. We’d both be unhappy if this turns into a Crystal booking.

• 1 month later...
On 5/11/2022 at 3:56 PM, LewiLewi said:

Were you tested at the airport for Covid before being allowed to fly home?

Sorry, I just saw this message.  We were tested before we left the boat.  Those of us that were negative left the boat, those passengers that were positive (yes, there were passengers that were ) stayed on.