Victoria - Tea at the Empress

Hi guys. My time in Victoria is from 8 am to 2 pm. Victoria tea at the empress starts at 11 am which is what I booked. I always wanted to try afternoon tea. Do you think I should cancel this because it is cutting too close or would I have enough time to get back to the ship. 

Agree with Andy - the timing isn't an issue at all. Despite the hefty cost, the amount of nibbles means unless you deliberately linger you'll be in and out in an hour or less - it's not a meal, just a little carb-heavy 'pick me up' that's supposed to give you the energy to keep up witty banter with your guests until a civilized dinner time! The issue with Tea at the Empress is that they just keep racking the price up higher and higher - it's $89 per person now, and that's the No Booze/No Cheese version!

As well as being all significantly better value, there are also other options that might serve you earlier if you're genuinely worried about timing - Murchie's or White Heather tearooms serve all day and are both better-rated on Yelp etc. than the Empress at a fraction of the price; Abkhazi Garden is much less well-known than Butchart so should be nice and quiet and again scores better than Empress teas for way less cash and in a delightful garden not a hotel lobby... Even Butcharts tearooms, if you're visiting the garden, offer more substantial portions than the Empress and at less than half the cost.  Unless you enjoy being in a large, loud room with a crapload of other tourists, you'll likely enjoy yourself more in one of these other venues - Pendray Manor fits even better with the authentic Ye Olde Englishe vibe for taking tea than the Empress does if you would prefer a building to a garden/greenhouse type surrounding.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1