Live from the Crown Princess Return to Service Cruise May 7 2022 to Alaska

pkt1976

Here’s our current location. We haven’t gotten very far overnight 😬 

i love my cabin here on 5. LOVE watching the water almost at sea level and on occasion the spray gets as high as my window. Definitely feel the motion which I love. 

026D8FD2-8EDB-4EC3-872B-CB3D145CD646.jpeg

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, pkt1976 said:

i love my cabin here on 5. LOVE watching the water almost at sea level and on occasion the spray gets as high as my window. Definitely feel the motion which I love. 

When you say you can feel the motion, can you feel it more than you usually would?

I’m set to board the crown next Saturday and I just wondering if I need to be worried about seasickness… I’m usually fine if it is smooth waters, but I’ve had issues when the water gets choppy and I’ve had bad reactions to the patches.

14 hours ago, highloyo said:

We departed from Los Angeles with the cruise visiting Victoria and terminating in Vancouver. It’s a very simple app to complete, maybe 4 or 5 simple questions.  Prior to a recent change it was more complicated because you had to provide a quarantine plan. That no longer is the case. 

Quick question (If you know!): If you are traveling with minors, do you complete their answers on your app or do they need to download the app on their phones also?  Thanks! 

22 minutes ago, LCinLB said:

When you say you can feel the motion, can you feel it more than you usually would?

I’m set to board the crown next Saturday and I just wondering if I need to be worried about seasickness… I’m usually fine if it is smooth waters, but I’ve had issues when the water gets choppy and I’ve had bad reactions to the patches.

I’m w5 forward so feel more motion. Hopefully others more mid will chime in as well 

6 minutes ago, Nee Nee and Biddy said:

Quick question (If you know!): If you are traveling with minors, do you complete their answers on your app or do they need to download the app on their phones also?  Thanks! 

You complete one form for your entire family unit.

2 hours ago, pkt1976 said:

I see that yall are making about 17 knots. That's not too bad, considering. When the Crown Princess departed Long Beach/Los Angeles she started out at about 10-11 knots and slowly crept up to about 15 knots after a few days. We are enjoying your "Live from" posts. We are sailing on the Crown in August. Keep them posts coming... 

• Like 3

We had our meet and greet today, unfortunately none of the ship officers made it but it was nice to sit and chat with the group. 

right after the Captain came on about noon to announce we would indeed be delayed getting into Ketchikan as well as Skagway. He said that shore ex would contact us and not to go to the desk, but when I walked by there was a very long line. 

I heard there are about 2200 pax onboard, which in my opinion was a poor decision by corporate for a return to service cruise under perfect circumstances. We do not have perfect circumstances with the engine and now also plumbing issues in some cabin areas. 

lunch into the dining room was great and the chicken korma was excellent. 

the crew is working so hard and also rolling with all the changes. 

when I looked at the ship position this morning, I didn’t think there is any way we’d make Ketchikan at 8am. I didn’t jot down the new hours, I’m sure we will get something In the cabins. I did have an excursion in Skagway so we will see what happens. 

BFC3ADAE-DBCE-49AE-BDF8-081B33E09A3F.png

FE6CCCC6-EC4E-47BA-BA26-BDE6B2C90374.png

73A80299-FF67-4B17-8ED9-521F0470901C.png

ABE1B3F7-8586-48B7-8DC5-6B87F2263DC9.png

931A9601-2F9F-42B6-AC50-1C2E7E1EDA85.jpeg

860A14B6-DF65-4E66-8D44-4CF0C0BC8B79.jpeg

0506AAB8-484F-42EE-BAD4-9DF284F9FB72.jpeg

B37F66A6-0C8B-4724-9A1F-ECA19110EE48.jpeg

93281255-38F9-4743-9F34-4A2A5E787FC0.jpeg

Edited by pkt1976
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Meet and greet folks, we will likely have another get together later on the week —with the ship officers— Please post your cabin numbers or leave me a message at 5218 and I’ll call to update you 

We are approaching Ketchikan a bit earlier than expected per yesterdays update. There was a medical emergency in the middle of the night and the Captain came on asking for blood donors. Note you must have a blood donor card to donate.  Hopefully the person will be ok. 

we are just going to have a walk around Ketchikan today, the schedule changes were too much to deal with. I have an excursion reservation for tomorrow but haven’t heard what’s going to happen yet. 

thrre are certainly challenges this trip with plumbing issues in several areas, the engine issues, and service issues being figured out with new employees and those who haven’t worked in two years, many without medallion experience. I’m my opinion corporate shouldn’t have filled this ship so full on these circumstances. This isn’t the fault of the folks onboard but for those coming soon, pack your patience and grace. They are understaffed and working so hard. 

yesyerday I did Zumba with Gareth, it was nice and balanced and he’s very energetic and fun. The little devil did baby shark as a song 😅so it was stuck in my head for a while yesterday. 

i also played the yes/no Game and won against Jody 🙌🏻 So I’m 5 for 10

• Like 4

On 5/8/2022 at 12:29 AM, pkt1976 said:

The journey here to the ship was challenging but happy to be here. I have a window cabin on deck 5 and LOVE it. I love watching the ocean and I don’t get seasick. The view from deck 5 is fabulous. My room steward is going to change the bed to two twins tomorrow which will leave space between the beds to sit by the window 🙌🏻

. . .

That's where I'll be on Sat. <g>.  Love Deck 5, too.  So convenient!  Have a good cruise!!

• Like 1

Thank you so much for sharing !  These schedule changes are beyond ridiculous but you seem to be handling it very well !  I hope I am as patient and understanding next week 🙂  Thanks again !!

2 hours ago, mlh0500 said:

Thank you so much for sharing !  These schedule changes are beyond ridiculous but you seem to be handling it very well !  I hope I am as patient and understanding next week 🙂  Thanks again !!

We are booked on the Crown the next two weeks.  Tomorrow is our go/nogo date, we will see if things go OK today, although it doesn't look to me like they are going to make Skagway by 2:30, more like 6:00, if that is the case I think I'll be cancelling.  I booked these to see Alaska, not just be near it.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, cruising deacon said:

We are booked on the Crown the next two weeks.  Tomorrow is our go/nogo date, we will see if things go OK today, although it doesn't look to me like they are going to make Skagway by 2:30, more like 6:00, if that is the case I think I'll be cancelling.  I booked these to see Alaska, not just be near it.

You are going to cancel?  How much money will you loose

2 hours ago, cruising deacon said:

although it doesn't look to me like they are going to make Skagway by 2:30, more like 6:00, if that is the case I think I'll be cancelling.  I booked these to see Alaska, not just be near it.

We are currently on the Crown, we are approaching Skagway now, I think we’ll make the 2:00pm arrival.  But I would agree we both have felt like we’re in Alaska but not getting to experience Alaska and we are first time Alaska cruisers. All of our excursions have been cancelled so we feel exactly what you said.  Hopefully for the later Crown cruisers the times are better known and you can book excursions more accordingly.  Planning has been challenging, the 3 itinerary changes have not only impacted excursions but also dining reservations etc.  At this point we’re just hoping Glacier Bay is not cancelled or interrupted. 

3 hours ago, cruising deacon said:

Just my opinion for what it's worth.....   I'd switch to the Discovery, it also sails out of Seattle and they have rooms available showing about 2 weeks from now.    If you are going to spend the money to go to Alaska, you might as well get what you pay for (or at least close to it).    It's not worth the stress.   If you want to go on excursions and don't want to worry whether your ship makes it in time then make the switch.   Having to juggle excursions does not make cruising any fun.    That's my 2 cents

• Like 3