What I learned and enjoyed in 42 Years of Cruising

Sthrngary

I am posting this topic on the NCL blog because NCL holds most of my favorite memories.  These are some random thoughts.  The items are not in any special order.  I am writing this because my last cruise was a few months ago and my next one is at the end of the year. I encourage everyone to add some special thoughts of your own.  Everyone gets something different from a cruise.  My hopes are that some of the items I bring up, provide you with some positive memories.

1. My First Cruise: It was my Honeymoon 42 years ago.  So much I can say but after all these years the things that stick in my mind seem too always be the same.  It starts with the bus ride from the Airport to the Port of Miami.  The ship was the SS Norway, the largest cruise ship at the time.  When the bus got to the port, the view of the ship was so exciting.  This was followed by the exhilarating walk from the terminal on to the ship. 
  2. First Large Balcony:  We were on a HAL ship I think the suite was called an SS.  It was one of those large suites with a huge balcony.  My sisters and their kids join, and we sang Broadway show tunes on that balcony.
  3. The First Time in the NCL Haven: It was on the NCL Getaway out of New Orleans.  I did not know what to expect.  All I knew was it was going to be a different experience than my normal cruise vacations in the past. My expectations were exceeded. It sure helped that I had just lost 65 lbs, was working out regularly, and had some medical procedures that worked out well.
  4. The First Time on a Luxury Brand: It was just after Covid started to reduce and cruise lines were beginning to sail again.  The Brand was Crystal Cruises who are now out of business.  We got double upgraded so we not only had a suite, but we also had a huge balcony and a top tier butler.  The Upgrade Fairy is alive and well. The service, food, amenities, and drinks were top tier.  I will say, this ship was 25% filled and I realized, that was not the way I wanted to cruise.  Cruises are as much about people watching as it was about everything else.
  5. My first Solo Cruise:  I like cruising better then my family does.  So, I attempted a solo cruise.  I was not in a huge suite or did I have a big balcony.  This experience was great because I forgot all a large cruise ship had to offer when not in one of the exclusive areas like the Haven or the Retreat.  This experience will affect how I cruise again in the future.
  6. First Double Cut Prime Rib:  I was not the person to order two or three entries.  I hate wasted food.  I was sitting next to my sister, and it was Prime Rib night.  She told the waiter, a “Double Cut” Prime Rib.  I had never heard of that before.  I only did it once bit it sure was a memorable evening.
  7. 42nd Wedding Anniversary:  It was supposed to be our 40th but covid-19 did not cooperate.  I wanted to get my wife and two adult children to say, “Dad, now this is unbelievable!”.  Up to then, they kept on saying, “We hate cruises!” I spoiled them and myself on this family vacation.  With all the benefits of four cancelled cruises, I got the Haven H2 Deluxe Owners Suite.  A 1500 sf, two-bedroom suite that was like out of a magazine.  The ship, which was the NCL Joy, and the fact that the ship was only 35% filled, made for the greatest experience of cruising in my life.   My wife’s comment after was, “Now that was a great cruise!”
  8. Driving To the Port: The only time I ever drove to the port was from Birmingham, AL to New Orleans.  It was just over 5 hours.  It was the lowest stress transportation to a cruise I had ever had.  We still stayed in a hotel over night, but the real benefit was the last day.  No rush to get off and get to the airport.  I can not tell you how much nicer that was.
  9. The World of Beach Villas:  Now, these beach villas are super expensive.  In the past, they were reasonable.  A private little retreat for your beach day.  Floats, lounge chairs, soft drinks, and room for 6 friends.  This used to be my favorite excursion before it started to cost as much as a cruise itself. 
  10. The Fifth Dimension:  Now I will show my age.  NCL ships always had great entertainment.  I remember seeing a very old group called the Fifth Dimension as the entertainer.   They were fantastic.  Must have been 30 years ago. 
  11. The Late Seating for Dinner:  There was something to be said for the old way you had meals on a cruise ship.  You would sit at a table for 10 guests.  Day one, you knew no one.  Day 7 you had new friends.  If forced, you to engage.  The servers became our friends also.  Many nights you dressed up.  Don’t get me wrong, freestyle dining is so much easier. There was something to those old days that was special.
  12. Baked Goods:  I can gain weight at will.  Therefore, I have spent most of my life watching my food intake and dieting.  My DNA is for a fat guy.  I love bread, Danish, pasties, and crispy cookies. I have never been disappointed on a cruise ship with the baked goods.
  13. I Like Cigars: Not for everyone.  The best experience was on two ships.  First, the Celebrity Equinox.  They had an area on the top deck that was outside, in front of real grass and a bar.  Just a great place to have a drink and a cigar.  The second, was the Crystal Cruises.  They had the best Cigar Lounge land or sea.  What a place, the bar was next door, and they would check on you every few minutes.
  14. The Service Elevator: When you cruise on NCL on the larger ships, you can choose to stay in their VIP section called the Haven.  On port days or the last day, they got you on and off the ship instantaneously with a private service elevator. 
  15. Towel Animals:  Been a long while since I have seen this.  But those that remember the excitement of coming back from lunch or dinner and seeing a Elephant or Rabbit on your bed was so much fun.
  16. Everyone Knows Your Name: Ok, this is unique to me personally.  I am an extravert. I find a bar, bartender, and seat on the ship.  I order my favorite tequila or vodka straight up.  I engage with everyone so by the last day, as I walk up to the bar, they crowd yells, “Gary”.  Like on Cheers when Norm would come into the bar. 

So many more things I can come up with.  Now, tell everyone your happy moments.  If we can’t cruise every month, we might as well remember the memories. 

Cruise well everyone and enjoy every moment.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 3

Thank you for sharing.  We agree driving to the port from North Alabama is the best way to get there.  We drove on our last cruise from NOLA and we've booked another Breakaway cruise for next year.  BTW, we found a wonderful BBQ place in Laurel, Texas Pitmasters.  

Walking up the gangway is like a fantasy doorway that takes you from everyday life to a place where there’s no work, limitless food and drink, and you can completely relax. I love that last moment when your entire cruise is still before you.

• Like 7

My favorite memory was flying to my first cruise 30 years ago.  We were flying to San Juan and it was 1992 and they were celebrating the Columbus Flotilla.  As we were flying in, thousands of sailing boats were coming out of San Juan Harbor.  None of the cruise ships were in their normal places because the Tall Sailing ships were in the Old San Juan Berths.  It was a spectacular sight.

• Like 3

@Sthrngary, I resonate with so many of the items on your list, even though we are a little bit younger than you (not bragging, just stating a fact which will be obvious from my list):

-Our first cruise was for our honeymoon on the Starward in 1992. The ship was small even in those days and tiny now - only 800 passengers. I remember docking at St. Thomas behind an RCL ship which held (gasp) 2000 passengers! No specialty restaurants. And the onboard pool was tiny! But we were both hooked.

-We celebrated our 5th anniversary on the SS Norway in 1997. The Norway was unique - like something from an earlier time - because it was. We also learned just before the cruise that we were expecting our first child, so those memories are intertwined with our time on the Norway. I remember using the tenders which the Norway carried on its bow at most of the ports, because of the deep draft of the ship.

-I completely agree with you about dining. We got to know our tablemates and our waiters on those cruises 25 years ago, and looked forward to every meal by the end of the week. I like many aspects of freestyle dining, but I miss the camaraderie of those tables.

-I also miss towel animals - probably because I remember them from the Starward.

-My favorite itinerary was the 12-day Mediterranean cruise we took in 2015. It was not cheap, but we wanted to take our kids to Europe before they went off to college. This was on Princess, and we chose it 100% based on the ports. We had never been to any of the ports and every one was truly amazing. One fun thing on this cruise was that Princess was celebrating the 30th anniversary of the "Love Boat" TV show, and they had several themed events which were campy and really fun!

-Lots of others, but this will do for now.

Thanks for reading my walk down memory lane...

• Like 2

The above post what what I have enjoyed. The #1 thing I learned: be nice. We have gotten to know several crew members on our various cruises, and all have been hard-working, decent people. The work ethic of every cruise ship crew member puts me to shame, and I think of myself as a hard worker. Many of them are sending their paychecks home to support their families on the other side of the world - families they rarely get to see. So I try to cut them some slack when things don't go quite right, especially if it's obvious they are trying.

I try to be nice to other passengers as well. We're all on vacation - sometimes my definition of that is a little different than others'. That doesn't mean I'm right. But again - most folks on the ships are decent and just trying to decompress from their lives too.

• Like 4

13 hours ago, wil e coyote said:

@Sthrngary, I resonate with so many of the items on your list, even though we are a little bit younger than you (not bragging, just stating a fact which will be obvious from my list):

Funny how we all have similar memories.

Cruise well

• Like 1

12 hours ago, wil e coyote said:

The above post what what I have enjoyed. The #1 thing I learned: be nice. We have gotten to know several crew members on our various cruises, and all have been hard-working, decent people. The work ethic of every cruise ship crew member puts me to shame, and I think of myself as a hard worker. Many of them are sending their paychecks home to support their families on the other side of the world - families they rarely get to see. So I try to cut them some slack when things don't go quite right, especially if it's obvious they are trying.

I try to be nice to other passengers as well. We're all on vacation - sometimes my definition of that is a little different than others'. That doesn't mean I'm right. But again - most folks on the ships are decent and just trying to decompress from their lives too.

You have come up with the secret.  Kind of works every time.

Cruise well

• Like 1

My first cruise was the Seaward - I think she was 700 feet! 

I recall the dining aspect of old-style cruising fondly - the extravagance of having to choose between 5 soups, and 5 salads, 5 or 6 of every course. I do not miss putting on panty hose, full makeup and jewelry, nor do I miss the forced companionship. We never really lucked out and made friends - at best people were pleasant conversationalists that we'd wave to if spotted elsewhere. At worst... there was one couple that would spread all their vitamins/pills/supplements out on the table before each meal (before supplementation was particularly popular). Then we'd learn what each thing was *for*.  

I did like getting to know the servers over the course of the week, which despite the formality of the dining situation made for much more informal interactions with staff. And the baked alaska parade!

I was telling my family recently that those were the days where food wasn't available 24/7, hence the midnight buffet. If you didn't feel like going down to dinner, you were pretty much out of luck until breakfast, as best as I can recall.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My first cruise was 41 years ago, aboard the Cunard Princess. At 16,000 tons, she was a tugboat compared to modern cruise ships. I was a 7 year old child then, but I still have very vivid and wonderful memories from that trip. My grandfather paid for the entire family to come along. A few years ago, I found the super-8 movies that my dad took on that trip and I had them converted to digital for future generations to enjoy. Watching those movies, I was surprised at how many details I could remember from that trip.

At the time, Cunard Princess and Cunard Countess (identical sister ships) were both departing from San Juan. One of the memories that I have from that trip was looking over and not understanding how we could see our ship across from us if we were standing on it, and my dad laughing and explaining that there were TWO identical ships. 

The photo that I'm including illustrates how that was confusing in the mind of a 7 year old. 

CP & CC FR.jpg

Edited by Tapi
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

First cruise was a four nighter onboard the MS Sunward (TINY ship). Loved it so much that we went back next year for the maiden voyage of the SS Norway and sailed on her an additional 7 times through the years. She will always be the most special ship in my mind, so classy and back then everyone really dressed up for dinner. Wait staff was from the islands and so much fun! Shows were amazing, saw Sha Na Na and met some of them in the pool one day, saw and met Vic Damone, so many good entertainers. And the Broadway shows! Full scale productions of Hello Dolly, My Fair Lady, with talent and costumes to rival any Broadway show today. And Sea Legs, the Vegas style revue, fantastic. Unfortunately it set such a high bar that I still compare and not much has matched up through the years, even with 40+ cruises.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/7/2022 at 12:08 PM, Sthrngary said:

I am posting this topic on the NCL blog because NCL holds most of my favorite memories.  These are some random thoughts.  The items are not in any special order.  I am writing this because my last cruise was a few months ago and my next one is at the end of the year. I encourage everyone to add some special thoughts of your own.  Everyone gets something different from a cruise.  My hopes are that some of the items I bring up, provide you with some positive memories.

1. My First Cruise: It was my Honeymoon 42 years ago.  So much I can say but after all these years the things that stick in my mind seem too always be the same.  It starts with the bus ride from the Airport to the Port of Miami.  The ship was the SS Norway, the largest cruise ship at the time.  When the bus got to the port, the view of the ship was so exciting.  This was followed by the exhilarating walk from the terminal on to the ship. 

1. i was born 42 years ago...........................................

• Haha 3

On 5/7/2022 at 1:32 PM, karmamule said:

Walking up the gangway is like a fantasy doorway that takes you from everyday life to a place where there’s no work, limitless food and drink, and you can completely relax. I love that last moment when your entire cruise is still before you.

I so agree with this! I believe that the first time I left the gangway and entered the ship the look on my face was mouth wide open and my chin was probably an inch or two from the floor. When I enter now I do more people watching for the first time cruisers and the expressions on their faces. The experience is priceless!

• Like 4

1. Towel Animals:  Been a long while since I have seen this.  But those that remember the excitement of coming back from lunch or dinner and seeing a Elephant or Rabbit on your bed was so much fun.

Oh, they still do this upon request.  I was in a Club Balcony and requested it.  Yes, I'm juvenile 🙂

• Like 1

Awww, the SS Norway.   1st cruise as a newly married couple.   We had a stateroom that you had to stand on the bed to see out the porthole.   Hey, it's what we could afford at that time.   Loved the old ocean liners.  

• Like 2

2. First Large Balcony:  We were on a HAL ship I think the suite was called an SS.  It was one of those large suites with a huge balcony.  My sisters and their kids join, and we sang Broadway show tunes on that balcony.
  3. The First Time in the NCL Haven: It was on the NCL Getaway out of New Orleans.  I did not know what to expect.  All I knew was it was going to be a different experience than my normal cruise vacations in the past. My expectations were exceeded. It sure helped that I had just lost 65 lbs, was working out regularly, and had some medical procedures that worked out well.
  4. The First Time on a Luxury Brand: It was just after Covid started to reduce and cruise lines were beginning to sail again.  The Brand was Crystal Cruises who are now out of business.  We got double upgraded so we not only had a suite, but we also had a huge balcony and a top tier butler.  The Upgrade Fairy is alive and well. The service, food, amenities, and drinks were top tier.  I will say, this ship was 25% filled and I realized, that was not the way I wanted to cruise.  Cruises are as much about people watching as it was about everything else.
  5. My first Solo Cruise:  I like cruising better then my family does.  So, I attempted a solo cruise.  I was not in a huge suite or did I have a big balcony.  This experience was great because I forgot all a large cruise ship had to offer when not in one of the exclusive areas like the Haven or the Retreat.  This experience will affect how I cruise again in the future.
  6. First Double Cut Prime Rib:  I was not the person to order two or three entries.  I hate wasted food.  I was sitting next to my sister, and it was Prime Rib night.  She told the waiter, a “Double Cut” Prime Rib.  I had never heard of that before.  I only did it once bit it sure was a memorable evening.
  7. 42nd Wedding Anniversary:  It was supposed to be our 40th but covid-19 did not cooperate.  I wanted to get my wife and two adult children to say, “Dad, now this is unbelievable!”.  Up to then, they kept on saying, “We hate cruises!” I spoiled them and myself on this family vacation.  With all the benefits of four cancelled cruises, I got the Haven H2 Deluxe Owners Suite.  A 1500 sf, two-bedroom suite that was like out of a magazine.  The ship, which was the NCL Joy, and the fact that the ship was only 35% filled, made for the greatest experience of cruising in my life.   My wife’s comment after was, “Now that was a great cruise!”
  8. Driving To the Port: The only time I ever drove to the port was from Birmingham, AL to New Orleans.  It was just over 5 hours.  It was the lowest stress transportation to a cruise I had ever had.  We still stayed in a hotel over night, but the real benefit was the last day.  No rush to get off and get to the airport.  I can not tell you how much nicer that was.
  9. The World of Beach Villas:  Now, these beach villas are super expensive.  In the past, they were reasonable.  A private little retreat for your beach day.  Floats, lounge chairs, soft drinks, and room for 6 friends.  This used to be my favorite excursion before it started to cost as much as a cruise itself. 
  10. The Fifth Dimension:  Now I will show my age.  NCL ships always had great entertainment.  I remember seeing a very old group called the Fifth Dimension as the entertainer.   They were fantastic.  Must have been 30 years ago. 
  11. The Late Seating for Dinner:  There was something to be said for the old way you had meals on a cruise ship.  You would sit at a table for 10 guests.  Day one, you knew no one.  Day 7 you had new friends.  If forced, you to engage.  The servers became our friends also.  Many nights you dressed up.  Don’t get me wrong, freestyle dining is so much easier. There was something to those old days that was special.
  12. Baked Goods:  I can gain weight at will.  Therefore, I have spent most of my life watching my food intake and dieting.  My DNA is for a fat guy.  I love bread, Danish, pasties, and crispy cookies. I have never been disappointed on a cruise ship with the baked goods.
  13. I Like Cigars: Not for everyone.  The best experience was on two ships.  First, the Celebrity Equinox.  They had an area on the top deck that was outside, in front of real grass and a bar.  Just a great place to have a drink and a cigar.  The second, was the Crystal Cruises.  They had the best Cigar Lounge land or sea.  What a place, the bar was next door, and they would check on you every few minutes.
  14. The Service Elevator: When you cruise on NCL on the larger ships, you can choose to stay in their VIP section called the Haven.  On port days or the last day, they got you on and off the ship instantaneously with a private service elevator. 
  15. Towel Animals:  Been a long while since I have seen this.  But those that remember the excitement of coming back from lunch or dinner and seeing a Elephant or Rabbit on your bed was so much fun.
  16. Everyone Knows Your Name: Ok, this is unique to me personally.  I am an extravert. I find a bar, bartender, and seat on the ship.  I order my favorite tequila or vodka straight up.  I engage with everyone so by the last day, as I walk up to the bar, they crowd yells, “Gary”.  Like on Cheers when Norm would come into the bar. 

So many more things I can come up with.  Now, tell everyone your happy moments.  If we can’t cruise every month, we might as well remember the memories. 

Cruise well everyone and enjoy every moment.

Totally agree with #8…we take advantage  of living about an hour from Boston and have done many cruises from there because we can drive to the ship so easily. 

#11 is something we really miss. We are still in contact with some folks from LA that we met on a cruise in 1989. We’ve been to their home and they’ve been to ours. (They were our dining room table mates on a 14 day cruise)

While we enjoyed our first “freestyle” cruise last month on NCL there’s something to be said for sitting with the same people each night and getting to know your servers.  We definitely miss that part of cruising. 

I’m weird that I still get dressed up for dinner every night. That I won’t give up. lol

1. Towel Animals:  Been a long while since I have seen this.  But those that remember the excitement of coming back from lunch or dinner and seeing a Elephant or Rabbit on your bed was so much fun.

Oh they still do this on Carnival! We had SIX waiting on our bed for us the first day we arrived and an additional one each day after.

20220408_071728.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1