ID needed for kids?

Monica887

What ID is needed for kids for our cruise? One of my kids passports just expired. This is our first big trip since before Covid and so I hadn't noticed 

We are from the US, coming and going out of Canada. So for both the flights and cruise, what do we need? The websites are SO confusing? Anyone go with kids recently?

You need a passport if you are going through Canada.  You don’t say how old the kids are but if the passport just expired you need to get it renewed.  Kid’s passports are only for 5 years, I think.  If sailing from Seattle the rules can be confusing but from Canada you need a passport.  

“A valid passport book is required to enter Canada by air. If traveling by land or sea, you need a passport book, passport card or any other WHTI-compliant to enter Canada and get back to the United States.

Only children under age 16 can present a certified birth certificate when crossing the U.S./Canada border by land or sea.

Edited by 5waldos

3 hours ago, Monica887 said:

The kids are under 16.

Even when our grandkids were toddlers they always traveled with passports and they were/are renewed as necessary.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Ashland said:

Even when our grandkids were toddlers they always traveled with passports and they were/are renewed as necessary.

Of course that is ideal. We didn't notice the expiration because we haven't traveled in 2 years. We are going to try to get it expedited but in case there is a problem (there are NO appointments available in the next month) I'm trying to figure out if it's ok. And of course we are working on digging up official information, but getting the run around. So I'm hoping someone with recent experience can chime in!

If you are flying into Canada from the US it is an international flight, and passport (book) is required.  The age of the international traveler does not matter, a passport is required, and if a child arrived at the ticket counter without a passport, he/she would be denied boarding the flight.

6 hours ago, Monica887 said:

Of course that is ideal. We didn't notice the expiration because we haven't traveled in 2 years. We are going to try to get it expedited but in case there is a problem (there are NO appointments available in the next month) I'm trying to figure out if it's ok. And of course we are working on digging up official information, but getting the run around. So I'm hoping someone with recent experience can chime in!

Best of luck to you.

13 hours ago, 5waldos said:

So- if you are flying in or out of Canada your child will need a passport. Hope you aren't sailing too soon. 

You can get passports same day if needed. 

8 hours ago, J0Y0US said:

You can get passports same day if needed. 

You can but how possible that is depends on where you live. We here in Denver are very lucky to have a place to do that. But most people live quite a distance from where that can be done- and a one day turn around cannot be done by mail. 

On 5/7/2022 at 2:47 PM, Monica887 said:

What ID is needed for kids for our cruise? One of my kids passports just expired. This is our first big trip since before Covid and so I hadn't noticed 

We are from the US, coming and going out of Canada. So for both the flights and cruise, what do we need? The websites are SO confusing? Anyone go with kids recently?

Nothing to be confused about.  You are going on an international flight, so to fly you need to have passport.....The age of a person does not matter.