Proof of Vaccination Status

bankergirl06

Hi All, 

We are traveling to Canada in September.  I have no problem with Canada requiring the vaccination status information for ArriveCan, seems pretty standard. My question is when showing proof of vaccination, do they require boosters as part of the vaccination process?  My friend wants to cancel going on this cruise since someone at NCL told her that you needed to be boostered 120 days before going on cruise and she also has been told that the initial vaccination cards are no longer valid.  I have searched on Canada''s and NCL websites and I can't find anything to confirm that statement.  I am boosted as of 12.4.2021 but my husband had only the initial vaccination in April.2021, the friends we are going with also had only their initial vaccinations back in 4.2021.   Any feedback is appreciated.

1 hour ago, bankergirl06 said:

Hi All, 

We are traveling to Canada in September.  I have no problem with Canada requiring the vaccination status information for ArriveCan, seems pretty standard. My question is when showing proof of vaccination, do they require boosters as part of the vaccination process?  My friend wants to cancel going on this cruise since someone at NCL told her that you needed to be boostered 120 days before going on cruise and she also has been told that the initial vaccination cards are no longer valid.  I have searched on Canada''s and NCL websites and I can't find anything to confirm that statement.  I am boosted as of 12.4.2021 but my husband had only the initial vaccination in April.2021, the friends we are going with also had only their initial vaccinations back in 4.2021.   Any feedback is appreciated.

I'd like to know who at NCL is giving out this misinformation. It sounds like someone is giving out information for European countries, some of which do require a booster if your original vaccination series is over 270 days old, with Canada's requirements. 

No one should ever rely on what someone said on the phone. The correct information is on NCL's website, ncl.com.

NCL doesn't require any boosters, only a complete primary vaccination series . Your vaccination card is perfectly valid.

Here are the details:

https://www.ncl.com/sail-safe#vaccines

"What vaccines will be accepted?

For All Norwegian Cruise Line Ships:

Any U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA), European Medicines Agency (EMA), and/or World Health Organization (WHO) authorized single brand vaccination protocol ≥2 weeks after receipt of the final dose.

i.e. J&J Janssen, Pfizer-BioNTech, Moderna, AstraZeneca/Oxford (Vaxzevria & CoviShield), Novavax and Covovax, Sinopharm or Sinovac, etc.

A mixed vaccination combination of two doses of an FDA approved/authorized or WHO Emergency Use Listed (EUL) COVID-19 two-dose series with a minimum interval of 17 days.

Note: Individuals receiving a Janssen COVID-19 vaccine before or after another COVID-19 vaccine are considered fully vaccinated against COVID-19 ≥2 weeks after receipt of the single dose of the Janssen vaccine.

Current Unauthorized Vaccines: Sputnik V

To be fully vaccinated means to complete the full brand vaccination protocol of one brand of vaccine OR two doses of a mixed vaccination combination, and therefore a single shot of AstraZeneca, Pfizer-BioNTech, Moderna, Sinopharm or Sinovac after COVID-19 recovery is NOT considered being fully vaccinated.

Any guest who is required to be vaccinated must 1) be fully vaccinated at least two weeks prior to departure, 2) acknowledge vaccination status prior to sailing and 3) present proof of vaccination at the pier at embarkation in order to board.  Guests ages twelve and up must be vaccinated per the Food and Drug Administration (FDA), World Health Organization (WHO)and European Medicines Agency (EMA) in order to sail. As science, technology and government regulations evolve, we will update our health and safety protocols as needed and appropriate.

Vaccines received via clinical trials will not be accepted as they do not specify vaccine received.

Children and Teens between the ages of 12 and 17: Full vaccination protocol at least two weeks after receipt of the final dose of Pfizer-BioNTech only.

For EU sailings, Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine will be accepted for vaccinated children and teens between the ages of 5 and 17 and Moderna (Spikevax) for children 12-17 years of age."

Further, Canada also doesn't require boosters. The first citation below, from ncl.com, says you have to be fully vaccinated (I've highlighted that in bold type.) The second citation below, from the Canadian government, defines "fully vaccinated". As you can see in the section I've put in bold type, no booster is required.

https://www.ncl.com/travel-requirements-by-country

Canada Cruise Protocols

Country Requirements

PLEASE NOTE: All guests must complete ArriveCAN submission within 72 hours of embarkation. ArriveCAN receipt must be presented at check in on embarkation day.

Vaccination Requirements:

All guests age twelve and older must be fully vaccinated at least two weeks prior to arrival.

Testing Requirements:

Embarkation: all guests must provide proof of negative NAAT test (i.e. PCR) taken within 72 hours prior to embarkation, or negative antigen test taken within 48 hours of embarkation.

All unvaccinated guests ages 5-11 will also be required to take an additional test at embarkation. This test will be paid for and administered by Norwegian Cruise Line.

Mid Cruise Testing: required for unvaccinated guests ages 5-11. This test will be paid for and administered by Norwegian Cruise Line.

Disembarkation Testing (for cruises ending in a Canadian port only): unvaccinated guests ages 5-11 will be tested at disembarkation. This test will be paid for and administered by Norwegian Cruise Line.

Face Coverings:

Required ashore in business establishments based on local requirements.

https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/covid-vaccinated-travellers-entering-canada#determine-fully

"Check if you qualify as a fully vaccinated traveller

To qualify as a fully vaccinated traveller to Canada, you must:

have received at least 2 doses of a COVID-19 vaccine accepted for travel, a mix of 2 accepted vaccines

or at least 1 dose of the Janssen/Johnson & Johnson vaccine

have received your second dose at least 14 calendar days before you enter Canada

Example: if your second dose was anytime on Thursday, July 1, then Thursday, July 15 would be the first day that you meet the 14 day condition

have no signs or symptoms of COVID-19

upload proof of vaccination in ArriveCAN

complete your ArriveCAN submission and have ArriveCAN receipt with letter I, V, or A beside your name"

Edited by njhorseman
  • Like 1

We are on Caribbean Princess Ft Lauderdale to Quebec City July 23, with Canadian port stops in Saint John, Halifax, Sydney, and Quebec City. I have gathered from some of the reports that Canadian Immigration does "random" PCR testing upon arrival. If one happens to test Positive then there is a a 10 day quarantine required. I'm wondering if every port stop in Canada subjects one to that possibility? Or, is it just one's final destination Quebec City? Also saw another report that states that no testing is required to enter Canada. Only Vaccinations. Somewhat confused. Asked Princess and they just said to check on board which would be after the fact so it's kind of redundant. 

Help.........................................🤔

2 hours ago, Floridastorm said:

We are on Caribbean Princess Ft Lauderdale to Quebec City July 23, with Canadian port stops in Saint John, Halifax, Sydney, and Quebec City. I have gathered from some of the reports that Canadian Immigration does "random" PCR testing upon arrival. If one happens to test Positive then there is a a 10 day quarantine required. I'm wondering if every port stop in Canada subjects one to that possibility? Or, is it just one's final destination Quebec City? Also saw another report that states that no testing is required to enter Canada. Only Vaccinations. Somewhat confused. Asked Princess and they just said to check on board which would be after the fact so it's kind of redundant. 

Help.........................................🤔

I've waded through all the regulations several times and IMO the random testing upon arrival doesn't apply to cruise ship, ferry or boat passengers, but only to those arrive in Canada at a land border crossing or by air.

15 hours ago, njhorseman said:

I'd like to know who at NCL is giving out this misinformation. It sounds like someone is giving out information for European countries, some of which do require a booster if your original vaccination series is over 270 days old, with Canada's requirements. 

No one should ever rely on what someone said on the phone. The correct information is on NCL's website, ncl.com.

NCL doesn't require any boosters, only a complete primary vaccination series . Your vaccination card is perfectly valid.

Here are the details:

https://www.ncl.com/sail-safe#vaccines

"What vaccines will be accepted?

For All Norwegian Cruise Line Ships:

Any U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA), European Medicines Agency (EMA), and/or World Health Organization (WHO) authorized single brand vaccination protocol ≥2 weeks after receipt of the final dose.

i.e. J&J Janssen, Pfizer-BioNTech, Moderna, AstraZeneca/Oxford (Vaxzevria & CoviShield), Novavax and Covovax, Sinopharm or Sinovac, etc.

A mixed vaccination combination of two doses of an FDA approved/authorized or WHO Emergency Use Listed (EUL) COVID-19 two-dose series with a minimum interval of 17 days.

Note: Individuals receiving a Janssen COVID-19 vaccine before or after another COVID-19 vaccine are considered fully vaccinated against COVID-19 ≥2 weeks after receipt of the single dose of the Janssen vaccine.

Current Unauthorized Vaccines: Sputnik V

To be fully vaccinated means to complete the full brand vaccination protocol of one brand of vaccine OR two doses of a mixed vaccination combination, and therefore a single shot of AstraZeneca, Pfizer-BioNTech, Moderna, Sinopharm or Sinovac after COVID-19 recovery is NOT considered being fully vaccinated.

Any guest who is required to be vaccinated must 1) be fully vaccinated at least two weeks prior to departure, 2) acknowledge vaccination status prior to sailing and 3) present proof of vaccination at the pier at embarkation in order to board.  Guests ages twelve and up must be vaccinated per the Food and Drug Administration (FDA), World Health Organization (WHO)and European Medicines Agency (EMA) in order to sail. As science, technology and government regulations evolve, we will update our health and safety protocols as needed and appropriate.

Vaccines received via clinical trials will not be accepted as they do not specify vaccine received.

Children and Teens between the ages of 12 and 17: Full vaccination protocol at least two weeks after receipt of the final dose of Pfizer-BioNTech only.

For EU sailings, Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine will be accepted for vaccinated children and teens between the ages of 5 and 17 and Moderna (Spikevax) for children 12-17 years of age."

Further, Canada also doesn't require boosters. The first citation below, from ncl.com, says you have to be fully vaccinated (I've highlighted that in bold type.) The second citation below, from the Canadian government, defines "fully vaccinated". As you can see in the section I've put in bold type, no booster is required.

https://www.ncl.com/travel-requirements-by-country

Canada Cruise Protocols

Country Requirements

PLEASE NOTE: All guests must complete ArriveCAN submission within 72 hours of embarkation. ArriveCAN receipt must be presented at check in on embarkation day.

Vaccination Requirements:

All guests age twelve and older must be fully vaccinated at least two weeks prior to arrival.

Testing Requirements:

Embarkation: all guests must provide proof of negative NAAT test (i.e. PCR) taken within 72 hours prior to embarkation, or negative antigen test taken within 48 hours of embarkation.

All unvaccinated guests ages 5-11 will also be required to take an additional test at embarkation. This test will be paid for and administered by Norwegian Cruise Line.

Mid Cruise Testing: required for unvaccinated guests ages 5-11. This test will be paid for and administered by Norwegian Cruise Line.

Disembarkation Testing (for cruises ending in a Canadian port only): unvaccinated guests ages 5-11 will be tested at disembarkation. This test will be paid for and administered by Norwegian Cruise Line.

Face Coverings:

Required ashore in business establishments based on local requirements.

https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/covid-vaccinated-travellers-entering-canada#determine-fully

"Check if you qualify as a fully vaccinated traveller

To qualify as a fully vaccinated traveller to Canada, you must:

have received at least 2 doses of a COVID-19 vaccine accepted for travel, a mix of 2 accepted vaccines

or at least 1 dose of the Janssen/Johnson & Johnson vaccine

have received your second dose at least 14 calendar days before you enter Canada

Example: if your second dose was anytime on Thursday, July 1, then Thursday, July 15 would be the first day that you meet the 14 day condition

have no signs or symptoms of COVID-19

upload proof of vaccination in ArriveCAN

complete your ArriveCAN submission and have ArriveCAN receipt with letter I, V, or A beside your name"

Thank you for confirming what I already knew.  There are so many new people at NCL that are trying to give out information, that it gets confusing for those that want to get confirmation, like our friends.  I am forging ahead and cannot wait to get on with my cruise.

1 hour ago, njhorseman said:

I've waded through all the regulations several times and IMO the random testing upon arrival doesn't apply to cruise ship, ferry or boat passengers, but only to those arrive in Canada at a land border crossing or by air.

Yes, that is true. My son, who is an IT Manager, researched this stuff and found exactly what you did. Possibly I was reading something that was outdated. These protocols seem to be changing and mutating every hour on the hour by country and sometimes by area in that country. Really confusing and irritating. 🤥

• Like 1