Question for Recent Viking Cruisers

mhb1757

I’m a little confused about current ship requirements. The Viking Health and Safety policy on the Viking website says masks are optional on the ship after the initial covid test, and when off the ship guests must comply with local regulations (very few places have mask requirements now). Our My Viking Journey website still has the same verbiage it has had for over a year saying masks required when moving about the ship, on all excursions and when off the ship on your own (no clue how that would be enforced). 
we are leaving in a couple of weeks for the Danube and would love to hear what requirements were on recent cruises from those that have recently returned. 
thanks. 

We are seeing same for our Rhine cruise in 2 weeks. If I recall, Viking did an about face and extended mask wearing for an additional 2 weeks, I guess based on some of the positivity being found on board. Im thinking now its going to be a day to day decision. We have the mindset now we will just go with the flow, be careful, and enjoy cause we really look forward to our first adventure.

We havent received our E-docs yet either…whats involved once we receive?

We leave in two weeks for our Rhine cruise and we received our email today that masking will be required on and off the ship. 

As health guidelines continue to evolve throughout the world, some areas on your itinerary have prevalence rates that are declining at a slower pace. In order to ensure that we are maintaining the safest possible environment for our guests and crew, we are temporarily requiring face masks while moving about the ship and while ashore during your river voyage—whether exploring independently or enjoying a Viking shore excursion—for departures through May 31, 2022. Our staff and crew will continue to wear masks, as will local guides and motorcoach drivers.”

• Like 1

We did the Rhine last November when masks were required on board.  But realistically, it's just when you're moving from one area to another.  Leave your room to walk to the bar?  Wear a mask, then take it off as soon as you sit down in the lounge.  Heading from the lounge to dinner?  Put on your mask, walk to your table, and take off your mask.

The whole thing is rather silly.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, The Shrike said:

The whole thing is rather silly.

I was on a VRC last week in April down the Rhine, and we had to wear a mask when moving. As you say, as soon as you sit in the restaurant sharing a table for an hour or more with two other couples who are strangers you are all maskless. So it does seem a bit silly.

On the walks some took off their masks.

But.  Plenty of FFP-2 masks were supplied free, and we didn't catch Covid and we had a great time!

• Like 1

I'm on a Viking cruise (Amsterdam to Basel) right now. I believe they're only doing 3 days of testing; this was the last day so I'll confirm that tomorrow. I heard 6 people have left, but I don't know if that's because of covid or other reasons. Masks are required on the ship. It doesn't seem to really be enforced but people are respectful for the most part. One person wears a mask that says masks are useless and one couple, the only ones on the bus without masks, bragged about not wearing masks and getting dirty looks. I guess they feel proud or something. We're supposed to wear masks on excursions too. Today we did Marksburg Castle; the guide reminded everyone to wear masks on board and then basically said do what you want at the castle. Most people didn't wear masks, although the castle guide did. The tour was mostly outside. I was a little undecided about the indoor parts for myself, but these are weird times. We're a family group so we haven't been sharing tables with strangers or anything. I've heard some people had to leave but no idea if that's covid related. Anyway, for the most part, I feel like people are being reasonably respectful of others.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kris36 said:

I'm on a Viking cruise (Amsterdam to Basel) right now. I believe they're only doing 3 days of testing; this was the last day so I'll confirm that tomorrow. I heard 6 people have left, but I don't know if that's because of covid or other reasons. Masks are required on the ship. It doesn't seem to really be enforced but people are respectful for the most part. One person wears a mask that says masks are useless and one couple, the only ones on the bus without masks, bragged about not wearing masks and getting dirty looks. I guess they feel proud or something. We're supposed to wear masks on excursions too. Today we did Marksburg Castle; the guide reminded everyone to wear masks on board and then basically said do what you want at the castle. Most people didn't wear masks, although the castle guide did. The tour was mostly outside. I was a little undecided about the indoor parts for myself, but these are weird times. We're a family group so we haven't been sharing tables with strangers or anything. I've heard some people had to leave but no idea if that's covid related. Anyway, for the most part, I feel like people are being reasonably respectful of others.

Thanks for this info. Very helpful. We certainly won’t be those people bragging about not masking but it’s nice to know you have a little leeway outside. Would love to hear if they limit testing after 3 days. 

Just got back to our room - they brought in the daily activity sheet but no tests, so looks like that's official. Only 3 days of testing for our ship. The testing was the most nerve wracking part for me!

I was watching around the ship this afternoon and it's pretty relaxed, but also feels safe. Everyone is being adults, respecting each other, and deciding what is good for them.

I hope you have a good experience too!!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Kris36 said:

I was watching around the ship this afternoon and it's pretty relaxed, but also feels safe. Everyone is being adults, respecting each other, and deciding what is good for them.

That sounds really pleasant. I hope the food is good and you are enjoying the landscape. Have a great time.

notamermaid

7 hours ago, Kris36 said:

Just got back to our room - they brought in the daily activity sheet but no tests, so looks like that's official. Only 3 days of testing for our ship. The testing was the most nerve wracking part for me!

I hope you have a good experience too!!

Which boat may I ask?  Thank you

On 5/17/2022 at 11:22 AM, Kris36 said:

If you see trays in the hallways outside of cabin doors, those passengers are in quarantine until they can be removed from the ship. 

5 hours ago, milling73 said:

Is that on all Europe river cruises right now?  We are considering the Grand European in late July. We 

thanks

What happens now is no indication  of what might be happening in July; it's a fluid situation. We got regular emails from Viking with what their requirements are, and it was for all their river cruises.