Walk from Downtown Hamilton to Botanical Gardens?

egurbi

We are avid walkers, but not so much on Bermuda roads without sidewalks.  The walk from Front Street to the Botanical Gardens looks to be about 1 mile.  Does anyone know if this walk includes sidewalks for its duration once off Front Street?  The bulk of the walk after Leaving Front Street is on Berry Hill Road according to Google Maos.  Thanks in advance!

34 minutes ago, egurbi said:

Does anyone know if this walk includes sidewalks for its duration once off Front Street?

Yes, there are very narrow sidewalks in some places as you get out of town, but they exist. The most dicey part of that walk will be traversing what can be a very busy roundabout up Berry Hill Rd. Also note that the sidewalk alternates sides on the way up to the gardens so you'll have to cross the street a few times. 

We did that a few years ago.  It was hazardous!  We even got yelled at by one driver as he passed.

The Gardens themselves entailed a lot of walking.  We left at the far side, and as I recall, took a different route back to the ship which included a bit of the Railway Trail.  We have since wanted to do that as a big walk someday.

We've found other areas that are out of town to be hazardous for walking, too. The roads are just so narrow.

54 minutes ago, egurbi said:

We are avid walkers, but not so much on Bermuda roads without sidewalks.  The walk from Front Street to the Botanical Gardens looks to be about 1 mile.  Does anyone know if this walk includes sidewalks for its duration once off Front Street?  The bulk of the walk after Leaving Front Street is on Berry Hill Road according to Google Maos.  Thanks in advance!

More than a mile, it is about 1.5 miles. I took the #7 bus. I did not try walking as my experiences in that part of Hamilton waliking have been problematic. The Botanical Gardens unfortunately have been neglected. A real shame. Not worth a visit in my opinion.

Edited by Charles4515

Thank you all for the very helpful replies.  Charles 4515 -- I assume your experience with the Gardens is recent?  If so, we will take a pass and probably get our kicks on the railway trail again!  Thank you.

35 minutes ago, egurbi said:

Thank you all for the very helpful replies.  Charles 4515 -- I assume your experience with the Gardens is recent?  If so, we will take a pass and probably get our kicks on the railway trail again!  Thank you.

Because of covid my experience was in August  2019.  My last visit when on a ship docked in Hamilton. You can probably find more recent reviews on TripAdvisor.