Don't be afraid to try things on your own!

I'm so glad that someone is promoting indept. travel. I thought it was a "no-no" on this board.

As a guidebook writer and 40 year resident of Italy I love when people are courageous enough to explore.

From Civitavecchia it is not difficult as the area north of Rome is still "virgin" territory.

I have just returned from teaching "Italian culture" at the local university. My American students speaking about their trips to Venice and Torino (Winter Olympics) reiterated this to me: Upon returning to Viterbo they were so happy to be "home".

Venezia, Torino and Paris are expensive cities, they felt unsafe , people tried to rob them in Venezia .

Geez. So many great questions and comments. My faith in the members of this board has been restored. Ok,,, let me try some of the questions. Paris from LeHarve is a "stretch" in every way. This being said, Paris is my wife's favorite city in the world and we have done this long trek. It is possible to take the train (on your own), but this is one of those cases where for a first time visitor who simply must go to Paris, its probably best to just use the cruise ship's bus. Once in Paris, there is no reason not to do your "own thing" since the city is so easy to navigate with their excellent Metro (subway) system. All it takes is the help of a decent guide book. There is so much to do and see in Paris and everyone has their own preferences. Certainly places such as Notre Dame and the Eiffel Tower are high on most lists. My wife absolutely loves the Musee D'Orsay because it houses one of the world's best collection of Impressionistic Art. Many love the Louvre (not our favorite) and of course there is the required lunch at a well-placed outdoor cafe (this is the real Paris). So much to do, and with the 6 hour round trip there is not enough time (it actually takes weeks to see this city). I suspect if we are ever back in LeHavre (as a day port) we would simply rent a car and drive over to Normandy....but, its hard to pass up Paris for anyone who doesn't normally get to visit this fabulous city. By the way, there is a real language barrier in Paris because many of the Parisians refuse to speak English even when they know the language. However, we have always found plenty of good help with a simple Bon Jour and a smile. Even with the language problem its pretty easy to get around and many cafes do have English menus. We have also found the Police to be very helpful when asked questions (many do understand some English).

Hank

KCSungirl, More great questons which really showcase how important it is to do your pre-trip homework. In our family we have lots of fun doing the pre-trip research (it almost seems to be an extension of the trip) and find that when we do our work we generally have no worries or concerns once we leave home for the trip. I agree with the other poster about Pireaus to Athens. There is a decent subway line, but the walk from the pier to the subway is a bit longer than advertised. If you like to walk, this is no problem. We have walked all over Athens and strolling from the base of the Acropolis (the park at the bottom) to the Plaka is a nice walk. Keep in mind that we have no problem walking a few miles during the day. If you cannot or don't want to walk, there are plenty of taxis. Athenian taxis can (and do) try to rip-off the unsuspecting. so make sure they turn on the meter. Getting back to the ship on the subway should be no problem. Be forewarned! This Pireaus to Athens line might win the prize for the most pickpockets on a single train. Just be cautious about protecting your purse...your safety will be fine. My wife usually takes a pretty large purse which has one of those zippers with two zips. She uses a large diaper pin to pin the two zippers together which foils any attempt by a pickpocket to simply unzip and reach inside. She also wears her purse across her shoulders (never over one shoulder). On years of traveling throughout Europe (and Asia) we have only had 3 attempts to pick our pockets/purses (Bologna, Arles, and Istanbul) and we stopped all 3. As to walking in Rome, we have always felt safe during the daytime (after dark you need to be street-wise just like you would in any city). The more you can walk in Rome, the better since that is the best way to get a good feel of the city. The amount of walking simply depends on your energy level. You can always get taxis or, in some cases, use the subway. The train from Naples to Pompeii is no more a pickpocket place than any street. This train line (its actually a private company called the Circumvesuviania) is the main transportation line from Naples to Sorrento and is used by many locals/commuters. Keep in mind that its a real hike (its all flat) from the Naples pier to the train station (I think a little more than a mile) so you might want to try and grab a taxi to the train station. We have had better luck getting taxis outside of the port area since many of the taxis that cue-up at the port are only looking for full day hires. I am not sure what you mean about "boat ride around Capri." To get to Capri, you would take a fast hydrofoil that goes from Naples to Capri in about 45 min. Capri is interesting, but you would need to allot at least 4 or 5 hours to make the trip worthwhile. On our first visit many years ago, we made the mistake of going to Pompeii in the morning and than Capri in the afternoon. This did not leave us nearly enough time to fully enjoy Capri...which we have grown to like on subsequent trips. KC, there is no escaping the problem that you will have to make choices....you will not be able to do it all on one trip. I would not recommend the "resort thing" on any of the Greek Islands. Enjoy the main towns (always near the cruise ship) and just go to the better public beaches. On Mykonos many of the beaches have facilities (chairs, umbrellas, food, rest rooms). I hesitate to recommend any particular beach because we have only been on two. However, during the season you will find that this island has more than enough people to fill many of the beaches. You can find good info about Mykonos on many different websites (some even have pictures of the beaches). We do lots of research on the internet (even for places we know well) and print-out the best stuff to take on our trips. Its also useful to spend some time at a large bookstore (like Borders) where you can read through lots of guide books and take notes (this is actually fun). As to the "getting lost" problem, I suggest you figure out your way back as soon as you arrive anywhere rather than waiting until the last minute to panic. For example, when we take the train to Rome from Civatavecchia, we will double check the return schedule as soon as we arrive in Rome and will have our return ticket before we leave the station (usually we buy "same day return" ((round trip))). You can use the internet to get the latest info on public transportation fares. Remember that if you use a train in Europe you need to "validate" your ticket before you get on the train. This is done by putting your ticket in a little machine (on or near the platform) where it is date stamped. We would never take the last train.. but would normally return to the port about 1 1/2 hours before the ship is due to depart. If you are in a port where you want to venture pretty far from the ship, go to your furthest point first.. and than return a bit early and spend the last hour exploring the area within walking distance of the ship.

Hank

Sungirl,

You would probably be better to get a cab to the Colloseum, it's not that expensive and logistically better. When you get to the Colloseum, hunt out the Metro entrance and you will see a green hut at the left hand side. You can pick up a tour here for 10 euros plus the entance fee (20 euros in total). You will skip any lines using this method and the tour is very good. They also do a tour of the forum for a few euros on top.

Either way when you leave the Colloseum, you need to walk through the forum to the far end and then its an easy walk to the trevi fountain, and then not much further to the Spanish steps. (drop me an email andy_miles AT btinternet DOT com and I'll let you have better instructions).

What about visiting Herculaneum when in Naples instead of Pompeii. It's our favorite of the two. Pompeii is a lot bigger, but Herculaneum is more compact and complete. You can get there on the bus from right outside the port (just over the road) and the cost is 4 euros each for the bus. The bust drops you right outside the gates of Herculaneum.

Andy

A few other points re "trying things on your own" vs shorexes (= ship's tours) that I haven't seen mentioned on this thread and that are worth considering:

1) the length of the shorex as described by the ship is not the amount of time you actually get to see things - the longer the scheduled trip, the more bathroom stops and, of course, the larger the vehicle you're travelling in , the more people there are to use the facilities (why is it that people going on bus trips load up on coffee before leaving the ship and then again, every chance they get while on the tour?). Be prepared to spend part of your tour time lined up to get into the toilets and/or hanging around in areas that aren't very interesting (eg. highway rest stops) waiting for others to do so

2) don't reject a tour that interests you because of one stop that doesn't - instead, do your research and find out what else is close by that you could see while the tour group is (an example only - don't take my head off) in the church or museum that doesn't "grab" you - or use the time to have a relaxing drink and people watch

3) similarly, just because lunch is included in a tour doesn't mean you have to stay with the crowd and eat it - if you are on an all day tour, and/or are not a "lunch" person, you may prefer to just grab a snack and use the extra time to sightsee or shop on your own

** in the case of 2) and 3), just make sure you tell your guide your plans and confirm when and where you need to re-connect with the tour to continue on it and/or return to the ship

4) walk and use public transit - the former is excellent exercise after cruiseship meals and distances in many European towns and city centres are very short compared to those we're used to in suburban North America. When using either of these methods, you get to see and experience more of the "real" place from which you are insulated on regimented shorexes and when using private guides

5) we have always found local people to be friendly and helpful as long as we treat them with respect, are polite (learn to say at least please and thank you in the local language - AND USE THEM in every conversation), and have local currency. Even if the people don't speak English, they want to understand what you are trying to say and will pantomime directions, write down prices etc.

Bottom line, reiterating what others on this thread have said: sometimes a shorex is the right choice and sometimes (in my opinion, usually) it makes more sense to sightsee on your own so you can spend the time seeing and doing what interests you - but don't limit yourself to shorexes only because you are afraid to try things on your own - remember - the difference between an ordeal and an adventure is your attitude toward it!

I enjoyed your 5th point Luvnorway: some day-trippers seem to think that the local people they meet are like beasts in a zoo.

The $ is not the currency in Italy and it a problem ( almost an offense sometimes) for some shopkeepers who usually do not cater to tourists , to be asked to take $ and to make change for this currency. So have euros ready and know their value . Knowing a few phrases of Italian makes all the difference in the world. A little preparation makes for a much more rewarding visit .

Hank, I noticed in one of your previous posts you mentioned cabs lined up outside of docking areas looking for all day fares. I am thinking about using them for shore excursions in Italy. Any thoughts or information regarding them will be appreciated. THANKS!!

Wow, My good friend Hank has started a very meaningfull topic that everyone should consider when traveling. How is Kathy? Linda and I are taking our first river cruise (the Danube) this July. Have you ever done this, and if so, any thoughts?

I think, that when people first start traveling there is a "fear" of independent travel and its the easy way out to sign up for a large organized tour. I started this way, and since then with the internet, guide books, and reading these boards, I have found a better(and less expensive way) not perhaps to the extent of Hank.

On a recent visit to Tallin last summer for instance I witnessed 40 or 50 people from the ship whisked about to "the next site" without being able to really enjoy the local flavor of the shops, cafes, street vendors etc. That being said, I also believe when making independent plans on a cruise you have to take into consideration the amount of time in that port, and the proximity of the things you want to see. But, hiring a private guide is still alot better than what the ship offers in my opinion.

Hope all is well, Don

Oh my goodness Don (and Linda), it has been years. For those that care (probably nobody else) we met Don and Linda a few years ago on a cruise (I think it was in the Med) as a result of some posts here on CC. We will look forward to hearing about your Danube cruise. Kathy and I are now retired and trying hard not to travel more than 6 months a year (this self discipline is very difficult). ChiefTgc asks a darn good question and I hope some others will help on this taxi topic. Over the years we have noticed that taxis (particularly in Italy) will often refuse to take short fares...in favor of holding out for a full day hire. This is particularly true in Livorno. When it comes to these full-day hires, everything is negotiable. Taxi drivers can be great guides (and even friends) or they can be total jerks (most fall somewhere in between). If you want a guide as well as a driver, make sure your driver speaks enough English (it that's your language) to add some color to the day. On the other hand, if you just want someone to get your from point A to point B and wait for you to go to point C, than you may not have to be very choosy. If its hot, make sure the taxi has AC and that the driver is willing to use it! There was a time when you could hire a taxi for a full day for about $200. Those days are long gone and I have heard of some folks paying outrageous amounts for a full day (sometimes far more than $500). Personally, we generally prefer to rent a car (generally about $100 per day), but this is not for everybody.

Hank

We love touring on our own. Maybe someone out there can help. We are going to the Western Med in June. We are interested in renting a car in Santorini and Corfu and Olympia. Does anyone have a great itinerary for the day? What car rental companies do you suggest? Can you rent cars at the port?

We love touring on our own. Maybe someone out there can help. We are going to the Western Med in June. We are interested in renting a car in Santorini and Corfu and Olympia. Does anyone have a great itinerary for the day? What car rental companies do you suggest? Can you rent cars at the port?

Vacationaddict, unfortunately I don't have any information to offer you regarding these ports of call, but I suggest that you make a new post with an appropriate header to attract attention from those who do.

Vacationadict,

Cofu, I can't speak for as we have never been.

Santorini, you go ashore at Fira town, which is great to explore and from here you can get a bus (1 euro) to Oia which is fantastic. The bus is great fun and an experience not to be missed. I'm not sure that I would rent a car when you can get all that way and see some great scenary for 1 euro.

By olympia do you mean Katakolon(sp). If so then a car may be in order as there isn't a lot around the port.

Athens: many ships will provide a shuttle into the city from the port. If not, it's a 15 minute walk or short taxi ride to the subway. This will take you right into town. The plaka, as I remember, is basically at the foot of the Acropolis, no problem there.

As for the general topic, I was adamant years ago that a cruise ship was not the right way to experience Europe. Then I did a Black Sea cruise, and did all organized tours (no choice). There, it was the right thing, a way to see parts of the world that I would probably not have ventured to (but now would go back to.) We also punctuated the cruise with pre- and post-cruise junkets on our own. (Sometimes it's comforting to have someone lead you--in Istanbul we took a tour to the Princes' Isles, and I don't think we could have navigated that on our own--having been there, we would go on our own next time.)

Now I find I'm doing another European cruise, around the Iberian peninsula. Fortunately some cruise friends have gotten together to do some private touring. In some ports, it makes sense--being taken around Bordeaux wineries, when you only have the day. In Lisbon, hoofing it around the city on our own makes sense. Again, we are doing a post-cruise, this time to northern Portugal to explore on our own, which is what we like best. But for the cruise part, the main destination is the ship, and the ability to "taste" various places, but certainly not to really experience them.

I've enjoyed reading this post and I was surprised at the beginning because it has seemed to me that most of the posters here at CC are of the independent variety so it was great to read all of the comments and suggestions. My husband was always into the ship organized things until he had been there a couple of times and knew his way around a little better and how to "do" the local transportation. He is more of a "walker" to get around and I can't walk that much anymore. Last summer we were in Paris and he does the Metro well but was reluctant to take the bus. We had a pass and I finally talked him into doing the bus and we got on and the map posted inside went to all the places we wanted to visit that day. It was great. Learned new things and saved many steps and TONS of stairs. He is catching on but he's not the one that does the "homework" and is always teasing me about "what the book says". Good luck to you all.

Pick pockets--he caught this one gal with her hand IN his pocket on the Metro. Grabbed her by the wrist and yelled (in English), ranted and raved while holding her hand. Everyone caught on and she jumped off at the next stop. Pick pocketing is everywhere!! He's been picked more often in NY

Audia, I thought the CC boards were more geared to independent tours too. When I read Hilitner's post I thought I read it wrong. It made me feel really sad reading how much fun I would miss not being comfortable with booking independent tours. When I was in my 20's my Mom and I traveled Europe on the $5.00 a day way. We had a wonderful and unforgetable time. But, that was over 30 years ago. My Mom is now in her 80's and we have decided to visit the Med. again. She doesn't get around so well now, nor does she have the stamina she once did (nor do I). This time we will be cruising and taking ship's tours and we will have a wonderful trip. If I were traveling with my daughter or husband we would certainly do things independently, but under the circumstances, Mom and I will be on organized tours and still have a wonderful trip.... again. For us, the opportunity to travel together is incredibly fabulous in itself. So when you see us and others like us on a ship's tour, understand that we are happy just to be traveling with someone we love.

• 2 months later...

To Hank, the OP, and all the others that took time to post - A BIG thank you!

This thread was very helpful to me pre-cruise. I conquered Rome and the rest of my cruise with NO problems except a few ATM's not working for me. I loved the flexibilty that came with planning our days the night before. We were never locked into a schedule. We hired taxis instead of mastering the subways/buses, but we covered a lot more ground and felt very safe all of the time. The pickpockets were bad at the Rome airport. I figure they prey on weary travelers. Never saw any gypsy dramas in Rome. We had a lot of fun and liked every port for different reasons. Can't actually say I would go back to any, only because there are so many other places on my list.

Hank, you could definitely give Rick Steves a run for his money. ;-)

Best, Sungirl

Geez! I am blushing. Sungirl,, am glad you had a great trip. We also just returned from Italy (last week) and after two weeks driving around Italy we only saw one gypsy,, and she was homeless and simply begging. We drove on the "infamous" road from Rome to Naples (and on to the Amalfi Coast) and noticed a new practice at the highway rest stops. There is generally an older guy who keeps an eye on all the parked cars and than looks to get a tip when the drivers return from the rest rooms, restaurant, etc. My wife and I always make sure one of us stays with the car, but we did not see any gypsies working their usual haunts at the rest stops. The pickpockets must be a bit desperate to be working the airport, because the Italian's do patrol the airports and stations.

Hank

You are correct about shore excursions which , by definition, can only scrape the cream off the top of a locality. I cruised for so long that I finally left ship travel and did mostly land travel. Three weeks in New Zealand, 3 trips to in Tasmania, two weeks in Scotland, a week in Hong Kong, days in Bangkok - you get my drift.

For new travelers, shore excursions are good; they are like a Greyline tour to show the highlights of the site where they are but so many exotic locales deserve more than a 12-hour bus tour. Which is why I am 5 days in Istanbul pre-cruise - I want to squeeze all the juice I can out of my visit and I'll be staying in the suburbs, not downtown, so I can learn a bit of Turkish and meet locals.

I believe that comes a time when a tourist who likes a spot should stay for awhile, get out and dig into local culture, learn the currency, find out where the staff of the expensive hotels go for lunch, take public transportation. Shore excursions are great but I hope folks will consider going back to places they liked on their cruises and truly learn about it. I know personally that this idea is so hard and so scary at first but I promise that people can do what you and I do by nature. And mind you, I've been travelling alone for decades.

When I walk to the end of a gangway to find a guide, preferably a cabbie, I solve the "English spoken " problem this way - I ask where he can take me to buy silks and wools for dresses to use when I return home or where we can find local handicrafts. Inevitably, they turn to a friend and call him over, he speaks excellent English, and off we go. I do not use tourist sites or hotel names because all the cabbies know the English words (or sounds) for those places.

I'm so happy that Americans are stretching their travel legs and sincerely hope they will consider traveling beyond a one-day shore excursion.

Now, Hank, could I send you some paragraph [enter] keys so we can read your marvelous posts more easily?

Ruby

I enjoy monitoring this board and reading everyone's advice. A few years ago I used to contribute lots of help here for those who wanted advice on how to do any of the European ports on their own (we have been to most of these places multiple times). I stopped most of my help because I got tired of being flamed by others who insisted that the only way to do anything is on an organized tour (this is true for some folks). However, given the very high price of tours (the low value dollar does not help) I am surprised to see almost everyone resigned to tours. Western Europe is pretty easy to navigate on your own although it helps to do some homework. The advantage of being on your own is you avoid the "cattle like" mentality of some tours, get to do what you want when you want with who you want, and usually you will save money. In fact, on a 12 day Med cruise you can easily save over $1000 (or more) by doing things independent of tours. The down side of independent travel is that you do need to do your pre-trip homework,, but to some of us that is part of the fun. My main problem with most tours is that they try to crowd too much "touring" into a short period of time without giving you a chance to see the real Europe. A lot of the joy of visiting some cities (Rome, Paris, etc) is spending time at an outdoor cafe enjoying local cuisine, wine and people watching (this is how many Europeans enjoy themselves). Personally, when in Rome I would quickly give-up seeing some site in order to have time for lunch or a snack at one of the cafes in the Piazza Navona. But, I guess this is where the "different strokes for different folks" saying reigns surpreme.

Hank

I totally agree with your post. It is great to explore Europe on your own without the cattle car mentality of organized cruise tours. Wondering around on your own is exciting you never know what you are going to find. I love doing the research to find out all the things I need to know about a port then being set free to explore.

When I spent a semester abroad traveling all through Europe and the Near East in college every time we got to a major city we had an organized treasure hunt for supplies that we needed. We were not allowed to use maps just given vague directions and store names that had the things we were supposed to get (toilet paper lunch goodies for 38 people, etc.) that was written in the language of the country we were visiting. Then we were set free to find our stuff and given a meeting spot 12 hours later. It was tons of fun and we learned so much about each city by exploring on our own. I'm going to attempt to do a little of that in our 2 days in Rome pre/post cruise with my boys.

This November we are going on the Galaxy 11 day to the Eastern Med and I'm traveling with cattle car people my husband and two boys (ages 12 & 8). It's just easier (not my preference at all) to book with the cruise company. It makes them happier to be with a big group and more comfortable so I'm outnumbered. We're doing our own thing in Rhodes and Santorini which I'm happy they are going along with and have lots of surprises for them.

Personally I love to explore and would encourage everyone who goes to Europe to do so. Sometimes you might just have to take the cruiseline's excursion when the city you want to visit is too far from port and you'll spent the entire time worrying about everything. Others love to take that risk. To each his own and that's what makes the world go around.

Eileen

• 11 months later...

I found this thread through another thread..... you know how it goes when you spend hours haunting the boards!

I found so many encouraging words in it, and thought others who are busy planning might enjoy it. Thanks to all who contributed and especially Hank!

I've just spent an hour reading through all this and have seen both sides of the trip debate. Our first cruise from the UK was around the Baltic, visiting many large cities with foreign languages spoken. Being new to cruising we had no idea that you could get off the ship and just book a trip by taxi, etc. We booked nearly all ship's trips although tried to keep most to half day trips so we could also wander around ourselves for a few hours. Having seen other people getting into their taxis, and feeling a little bit herded around like cattle at times, we decided to not book any trips on our next cruise around the Caribbean. OK a bit of a different destination - not big cities, but we caught the local buses, hired taxis to take us to the beach, etc. and had a great time at much less cost. This year we are going on a Med cruise, again port intensive like our Baltic cruise, but thanks to this board we have gained so much info that we have been able to book 2 trips with 6 other people for full day trips at much less cost than the ships 'exclusive' tours. We're also using the local trains- again with help from these boards, and hiring a car in Santorini. If anyone is not sure do a search on here by the portname, glean all the info, then decide which is best for you. Also look at the ships tours brochure for info - it tells you how many steps, etc to access some sites and whether it may be difficult for infirm travellers, etc. Whatever you decide you must feel confident and relaxed otherwise you won't enjoy your day! Thanks to everybody who contributes for all the useful info!! " weeks to go and can't wait!!

Thanks for "bumping" up this thread! What a wealth of info. :)

Now I have a question about the Circumvesuviana train in Naples. I have directions on how to walk from the pier to the first train station and I understand it is NOT the Main Station. Do you buy your tickets on the same level as the train? I had read something about buying your ticket then going downstairs to catch the train, but I did not understand if that was at the "main" train station or the one I'm going to.

Thanks!

Coolcruise02,

If you post this as a new question on the board, I'm betting you'll get help from a wonderful source, Heinbloed. Now there's a veritable encyclopedia of information on many topics, but especially train travel in Italy and Europe. I'm sure we would all like to know the answer, too!

Coolcruise02,

If you post this as a new question on the board, I'm betting you'll get help from a wonderful source, Heinbloed. Now there's a veritable encyclopedia of information on many topics, but especially train travel in Italy and Europe. I'm sure we would all like to know the answer, too!

Ask quickly - doesn't he have a cruise coming up very soon. How will we all survive while he is away??????

Jennie

I was pretty sure I saw some info on the Naples train.... sure enough there was a recent thread. Thanks again Hank!

"Rick Steves writes interesting books, but even his books are not always good enough for many travelers. From the Naples port to the train station is about 1 1/3 miles (we have walked this a few times) and unless you love to walk in cities. its not a good thing (crossing the street in front of the port can be a challenge). You can try to get a taxi to the station (stazione) but, the taxis in the port will generally not want to make this short trip you have a better chance flagging down a taxi on the street). There is a local bus that runs from in front of the port to the station, but offhand I do not know the bus number. Once you get to the station you need to buy your tickets on the main level (where you enter). You than go down the stairs (Rick Steves has this much right) to the lower platforms. However, the Circumvesuviania Line has multiple trains that run from the same platforms (not all go to Pompeii) so be very careful. Before you board any train, check with the conductor or other passengers (just keep looking helpless and say "Pompeii) until you are sure you are on the right train. Do not get off the train at Pompeii,...but you want to get off at "Pompeii Scavi" which is across the street from one of the entrances. I do not know the current cost, but it will be pretty cheap (probably around $10- $15 round trip). Entrance to the ruins is 10 Euros per person (or 18 Euros if you get a combination ticket that includes both Pompeii and Herculanium). You can join a tour at the entrance (you will have to pay the guide) or you can rent a recorder that gives you info. If this is your first visit I would stongly recommend paying the $10 per person (something close to that amount) to join a tour. The reason is that Pompeii is a huge area and a decent guide can really help bring the place to live and guide you to the best parts. As to Pompeii, there is a snack bar inside the ruins where you can buy wine, water, snacks, etc..but that facility can be a pretty long hike from parts of the ruins. So, if its hot I suggest you buy a bottle of water before you enter (there are plenty of venders and cafes near the entrance).

Hank "

This is from the thread:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=512972&highlight=naples+train+station