Viking river cruise Rhine Getaway?

Janie1229

I am looking for the Viking RIVER cruise on this forum, and only see Viking Ocean. Does anyone know where I can find the Viking River destinations? 

We are looking at booking the RHINE GETAWAY on Viking and have some questions about Viking.

River cruising has its own discussion forum: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/115-river-cruising/

It is not divided by cruise lines.

Viking River Roll Calls are here: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/851-viking-river-roll-calls/

River roll calls tend to be by itinerary and year, not by individual sailing dates.

Because Viking has so many river ships, they have their own River Roll Call forum. All other river cruise rolls are together in a separate forum.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Really this thread is appropriate to the River Cruising forum. I'll leave it to an administrator to work the magic.

As per my signature, I have not been on Avalon.

There would be two comparison measures - 1) the boat, cabins, food, drink and service and 2) the cruise, included sightseeing, stops etc. I think the only fair comparison would be from someone who experienced both companies do the same route in the same year, as I know that tours, offerings etc change from year to year.

There are a tremendous number of river cruise companies operating now - especially on the Rhine, and they have different pricing and offer different levels of service. There is  a maximum possible size for the cruise ships bounded by lock dimensions and bridge heights. So the fewer passengers, the higher the price but bigger cabins &/or additional facilities. If you don't drink then all inclusive alcohol is not an attraction worth paying for, and vice versa. If you are not a gourmet then Michelin Star dining is not worth paying for, and vice versa. Is a butler worth it?

I suggest you read both companies brochures, see what they offer, what's included and how much they charge. Also what dates they cruise.

Each company has its fans, some have upset people so they wont return to them.

Sorry I can't answer your query - I can only say that Viking  is not the cheapest or the most expensive and it suits us 🙂

This thread has been moved to the River Cruising forum [I'm not sure from where], and this is the right place for it.  At the top of this forum are a number of 'stickies' with tons of information to help you figure out the basic questions for a new river cruiser.  In particular:

New to RIVER CRUISING??? START HERE!!!

and, more specific to your choice of cruise line question:

River CRUISE LINE articles on Cruise Critic

Viking and Avalon both have many fans here – but there are also lots of other river cruise lines that have well-earned fan bases.  Many people stumble into river cruising and book on the first line they hear about, have a good time, and just keep booking that line.  Which tells me there are no bad choices – but my own experience is that, after 4 happy cruises on AMA we were just blown away by how much better Scenic is.  So I advise comparing the different river cruise lines carefully before making your first booking.

• Like 1