Cruising with a Toddler

Hello! Long time lurker on Cruise Critic, but first time poster. I'm booked to on the Encore to Alaska on 7/31/22 and this will be my first cruise with my son (I think this will be my 8th cruise). I'm traveling with my husband and son (who will be 17 months when we sail) and then my parents will also be on the cruise in a different room. My son is super calm and relaxed so I think he will be fine on a cruise, but my husband is a bit worried. 

Any tips for traveling with a 17 month old? I know I'm going to order an inflatable bath tub for the shower since my son is afraid of the noise shower heads make (maybe I can fix this in the next few month). I'm also planning on having continental breakfast delivered to the room around his wakeup time so we can get a small snack in him before breakfast and to get some whole milk for him (he currently drinks from a bottle, but hoping to have him fully transitioned to sippy cups by the cruise). I also will have a bottle brush and dish soap packed so I can wash his bottles/sippy cups in the room. Also planning to bring my husband's laptop with DVDs of my sons favorite music videos and maybe some Daniel Tiger's Neighborhood. 

Thank you!

We took my son on his 1st cruise when he was 2 1/2 and my nephew who was even younger. These tips are IMO, there are probably several people who have other ideas and hopefully they will sound off too.

1) stroller. A lightweight umbrella stroller is great for getting around the ship (especially the larger ones) This is also GREAT for him to nap in on deck while you get a little sun.

2) ask your room steward to clear out your fridge. Then when you go to the buffet, get a few cartons of milk to take back to your room for whenever you might need them. There's no point on paying for room service if your little one gets a little hungry late at night.

3) if you have a tablet I'd say bring that over a laptop. It's another tool you can use to be able to occupy a little one during wait times or if you want to have a meal. This is a controversial and I'm sure I'll get comments but sometimes desperate times call for desperate measures especially with Splash Academy closed 

2 hours ago, schoolpsychcruiser said:

Hello! Long time lurker on Cruise Critic, but first time poster. I'm booked to on the Encore to Alaska on 7/31/22 and this will be my first cruise with my son (I think this will be my 8th cruise). I'm traveling with my husband and son (who will be 17 months when we sail) and then my parents will also be on the cruise in a different room. My son is super calm and relaxed so I think he will be fine on a cruise, but my husband is a bit worried. 

Any tips for traveling with a 17 month old? I know I'm going to order an inflatable bath tub for the shower since my son is afraid of the noise shower heads make (maybe I can fix this in the next few month). I'm also planning on having continental breakfast delivered to the room around his wakeup time so we can get a small snack in him before breakfast and to get some whole milk for him (he currently drinks from a bottle, but hoping to have him fully transitioned to sippy cups by the cruise). I also will have a bottle brush and dish soap packed so I can wash his bottles/sippy cups in the room. Also planning to bring my husband's laptop with DVDs of my sons favorite music videos and maybe some Daniel Tiger's Neighborhood. 

Thank you!

Welcome!

I'm actually going to be on that exact same cruise as you along with my wife, 10yo and 7yo. We've done a couple of cruises while the kids were young (my 7yo was on a cruise at the age of 15 months.) As you know, your day-to-day cruise schedule will most likely be far different than your schedule at home especially since our times in the ports are all over the place. One thing I would say is to not feel guilty if you just need to go back to your stateroom for a couple hours so that your son (and you!) can get in a nap. Obviously, try to keep your days as close to his regular routine as you can.

Hopefully the weather in Alaska will cooperate and maybe you could try taking your son to the kid's splash area if he doesn't mind getting in the water.

Also, I've found that it was always hit or miss about getting whole milk in Garden Cafe. Sometimes they would have it and other times they wouldn't.

Since you are planning to order continental breakfast, just order however many containers of milk you will need for your son that day and put them in your fridge.  Milk and juices are part of the continental breakfast offerings and there is no charge for them. 

1 hour ago, gvgseg said:

Welcome!

I'm actually going to be on that exact same cruise as you along with my wife, 10yo and 7yo. We've done a couple of cruises while the kids were young (my 7yo was on a cruise at the age of 15 months.) As you know, your day-to-day cruise schedule will most likely be far different than your schedule at home especially since our times in the ports are all over the place. One thing I would say is to not feel guilty if you just need to go back to your stateroom for a couple hours so that your son (and you!) can get in a nap. Obviously, try to keep your days as close to his regular routine as you can.

Hopefully the weather in Alaska will cooperate and maybe you could try taking your son to the kid's splash area if he doesn't mind getting in the water.

Also, I've found that it was always hit or miss about getting whole milk in Garden Cafe. Sometimes they would have it and other times they wouldn't.

No splash areas on NCL for diapered kids.

Welcome! We’ll be on the Encore 3 weeks before you with our older kids (8 and 11). NCL does a great job catering to families, and it sounds like you know what you’re doing. 

The NCL showers have adjustable water flow and a handheld shower head so maybe it won’t be so scary for him?

There’s a special section of the Garden Cafe with kid-friendly foods. The other dining rooms also have a kids menu and provide crayons to color with. 

Ice cream cones are available all afternoon in the buffet, or you might make a special trip to the gelato shop. 

On our most recent cruise in March, NCL had family-friendly programming and movies in the theater during the day. 

I hope you have a great time and that your husband and you are able to enjoy a night out!

Having been on now 3 cruises with my toddlers (2 since the COVID restart), I think I have some experience. First, don’t expect your kid to act anything like they do at home. My normally super chill laid back kid is a nightmare on vacation, whereas my super needy and demanding 2 year old has been a blast on cruises. 

the first day you get on the ship, go to the buffet aNd ask for a few cartons of milk, the waiters will bring them to you without an issue, and just leave in the fridge. First breakfast, take a few extra cereal boxes as well to have a snack. My kids drink milk before bed, so we’d always grab extra milks at breakfast. 

Take a good lightweight stroller, one that reclines so can be used for naps. I’d personally skip on the inflatable tub because my kids really didn’t fit in them after a year, and my kids are small. Those inflatable tubs are tiny. My kids still hate showers and hand held showers, I just wash them super quick and deal with the screams, and pray no one is going to call security. Also just don’t give them a bath every day.  

Pack some new toys to keep them entertained and pull them out at different times. I’d usually give something new at dinner. And I don’t think any other parent will be judging you for using the tablet, that’s basically the only way we can eat at a restaurant on the cruise. 

Make sure you request a pack and play in advance, and bring your sheets. I’ve asked my room steward for some extra flat sheet to fold up and put on top of the pack and play mattress because it can be a bit hard, and then just put my own sheet on top. Also if he’s used to white noise, bring it on the cruise. I just use an app on my phone. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, soozles said:

Make sure you request a pack and play in advance, and bring your sheets. I’ve asked my room steward for some extra flat sheet to fold up and put on top of the pack and play mattress because it can be a bit hard, and then just put my own sheet on top. Also if he’s used to white noise, bring it on the cruise. I just use an app on my phone. 

Thank you! I would have totally forgot the pack and play sheets. I have one reserved and definitely planning to bring my Hatch (to also use as a night light as well as the white noise. 

Edited by schoolpsychcruiser
Forgot my reply.

If you can swing a 2 bedroom haven room, go for it. Having the extra space is a big benefit, and having the ability to have the butler deliver room service from any restaurant onboard is great- we sometimes put the kids to bed then had a nice dinner in the living room or balcony area for 2. If you do that bring a monitor- that smaller room is pretty soundproof. I also got these magnetic door alarms (cheap on Amazon) and put them on the door to the hallway at night just in case someone got up and went out the wrong door- otherwise they will get automatically locked out. There was a scary story on here years ago about that happening to a 4 year old. (the child was eventually fine, but it was scary for everyone I'm sure). My kids were 3 (turned 3 the day we left) and 4 when we first cruised though, so a little older than yours.

I have to chuckle at the poster who is worried that the kids won't "appreciate" all that the ship has to offer- that's not exactly the point of a family vacation. They will appreciate the time with you, and more importantly you will enjoy your time with them! This isn't about "wasting your cruise watching kids"- this is about spending your vacation with your children!

• Like 1

A cruise with a toddler is actually a great way to vacation with a young child, in my opinion. A child doesn't have to be old enough to appreciate the destination in order to go some place. Plus the beach heavy ports are a ton of fun for many littles. They can also enjoy spending time with their family. Plus, it's great when the kid is tired and over stimulated, you can just head back to your cabin without having to drive to your hotel, or worse, sit in the car while the child naps and the rest of the family continues on (been there many times). 

Obviously, it is a very different experience cruising with a toddler compared to cruising without (we did the buffet almost exclusively for the flexibility and convenience), and did a lot less of the organized activities, but it was good. Much better than some of our land based trips that feel too busy and stressful sometimes. 

It's completely fine if that doesn't sound like your idea of a vacation, but it's kind of weird that you can't even begin to fathom that someone else might actually be able to have a good time still. 

• Like 1

I recently wrote about my experience cruising with our one-year old daughter on Pride of America. True -- my daughter won't remember it. However, my wife and I made excellent memories together, as a family -- and I'd do it again for that exact reason.

https://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=6914

• Like 1

@CruiseCriticAaronI enjoyed reading the review of your trip. I appreciate that you pointed out the challenges of traveling with a little kid, so that people won't go in thinking it's all ocean breezes and dolphins. I learned a few new things and confirmed that if my husband and I ever have kids, we'll not be cruising with them.

Nice review though and appreciate you posting it here for us to read!

Also...you got a nice name haha, same as me. 🙂 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

@CruiseCriticAaronI enjoyed reading the review of your trip. I appreciate that you pointed out the challenges of traveling with a little kid, so that people won't go in thinking it's all ocean breezes and dolphins. I learned a few new things and confirmed that if my husband and I ever have kids, we'll not be cruising with them.

Nice review though and appreciate you posting it here for us to read!

Also...you got a nice name haha, same as me. 🙂 

It's a good name! 🙂

Glad you enjoyed the article. It definitely has its challenges but for those who choose to make the trip, still plenty of rewards to be had.

On 5/16/2022 at 5:47 PM, AwesomO said:

A cruise with a toddler is actually a great way to vacation with a young child, in my opinion. A child doesn't have to be old enough to appreciate the destination in order to go some place. Plus the beach heavy ports are a ton of fun for many littles. They can also enjoy spending time with their family. Plus, it's great when the kid is tired and over stimulated, you can just head back to your cabin without having to drive to your hotel, or worse, sit in the car while the child naps and the rest of the family continues on (been there many times). 

Obviously, it is a very different experience cruising with a toddler compared to cruising without (we did the buffet almost exclusively for the flexibility and convenience), and did a lot less of the organized activities, but it was good. Much better than some of our land based trips that feel too busy and stressful sometimes. 

It's completely fine if that doesn't sound like your idea of a vacation, but it's kind of weird that you can't even begin to fathom that someone else might actually be able to have a good time still. 

I feel like a cruise is so much easier with a toddler. I’m not stressed about paying for food they won’t eat, and I ou can always find something. They’re easilY entertained. My toddlers loved “playing” in the arcade, they had no clue we didn’t put any money into the machines. And they’re so fascinated by everything on the ship, all the decorations we just pass by, they see and admire. 

is it all easy? Definitely not. But I love my kids, I love getting to spend time with them, and although they won’t remember, I will. None of us are guaranteed a tomorrow, not even our kids, so I’m doing as much as I can while I still can, because one day a memory may be all that’s left. 

• Like 8