Using gift cards for pre cruise purchases

Jersey42

Is there a way to use a gift card to purchase wi-fi and specialty dining reservations pre cruise? I know I can use the card onboard, but last cruise, the Crown Grill was booked solid for any times before 8:30. Wi-fi was more expensive onboard, They did give us a credit for the price difference, but I don't know if that is normal policy.

I called Princess and the rep told me both of these items had to be purchased through the Medallion app and  I could use a gift card in the app. The only payment option I see in the app is a single credit card - the one used for the onboard folio.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't use the APP.  I have used many gift cards. I apply them to the section on the web page after logging in under payments. The excess will go to OBC which can be applied where ever you want it. 

12 minutes ago, Perky1 said:

Did you try calling Princess and putting the card value between both you onboard accounts.  Then you should be able to…. maybe.  Worth a try

Yes, they are happy to let me buy On Board Credits with the gift cards.  

9 minutes ago, cruzsnooze said:

I don't use the APP.  I have used many gift cards. I apply them to the section on the web page after logging in under payments. The excess will go to OBC which can be applied where ever you want it. 

I can definitely find a way to add more OBCs to my account using the gift cards, although your suggestion was one I did not know about.

Once I have the OBCs, how can I use them to purchase specialty dining or a wi-fi package before I board?  I do not see any way to purchase these items except through the Medallion app.  And I see no way to apply OBCs through the app.  

I know I can use OBCs to purchase shore excursions in advance through the princess.com '"Cruise Personalizer".  The other items are not available on the Cruise Personalizer.

Am I missing something simple here?

By the way, I ended up just paying for one specialty dining with a credit card because the date and time window was important.  

Perhaps some of this will help.  Please post if you get it figured out.  We are sailing in Feb, Will be our first time with app.  Have gift cards as well so will be interested in what you find out

image.thumb.png.3dfa418e7d0a1c10e2e3d74c60dbd7fa.png