Pan Pacific Info

We booked the Pan Pacific for our pre cruise nights stay.

1) Do you have to be on a "cruise package" to have your bags taken from room to on ship (suitable tip included). 

2) Is the internet good enough to do a eMed test?

3) any other good intel appreciated.

2 weeks to go!!

Mahalo

1) Yes officially (it's literally the only difference from other rates available with the same other add-ons) but UNofficially is a bellboy going to turn down a 'pre-emptive tip' (not a bribe, honest guv'nor!) if you ask them to arrange it...?

2) Nobody can guarantee that at any specific point in time - but I've yet to hear of anyone complain that WiFi sucks in the PP and folks have successfully tested using YVRs public WiFi; plus, as long as the connection does not actually drop there is no specific rule about bandwidth, screen size etc. A potato-quality webcam, as the kids say, seems to meet the criteria

3) Don't eat in Five Sails - since Ernst & Gerry retired almost the entire staff have been replaced, it's now one of Glowbals chain of 'fine-dining' restos with recipes (which do look pretty good on paper...) coming from the chain's Exec Chef, and the two 'faces' deemed worthy of inclusion on the website for this resto are the pastry chef and FoH manager (who both look about 12!) rather than any of the chefs making the much more expensive savoury parts of your meal. Given Glowbal's usual performance levels there will be a lot of turnover and a hell of a lot less consistency than in the E&G years, with sometimes a truly stellar young talent in the kitchen bringing some good reviews, other times barely adequate people, and if the reviews dip too badly they'll pull Robbie from whatever he's doing to take personal charge for long enough to get the reviews back to 4+ again; then it's lather, rinse, repeat. All-in-all for the prices charged, no matter how well the menus read you'd be much better taking a walk down to the Fairmont Pacific Rim if you can't be bothered walking far and don't mind dropping big bucks.

• Thanks 1

I will clarify what was stated by our resident Vancouver expert (thank you @martincath!!).  I called the Pan Pacific about two weeks ago and they told me that all rooms, even without a package, can receive the luggage transfer from their room to the cruise ship with no charge on a "gratuity basis". No need to sweet talk the porters!! 😁 So, just let them know at check in that you will need the service and they can give you instructions on what to do with your luggage.   I'll be there for the third time, first post Covid, this coming September.

Have a great trip,

~Nancy

Edited by oakridger
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Pre-Covid (August 2019,) we stayed at the Pan Pacific for several nights prior to cruising on the Celebrity Eclipse. We booked our room thru Chase Sapphire Reserve Ultimate Rewards (was not a cruise package.) Upon check in, we were asked if we'd like to use the pre-cruise option of checking our bags directly to the ship prior to boarding. We did use the service and tipped our bellman very well 🙂

It's an awesome service and makes boarding a breeze! 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

We are staying at Pan Pacific both before and after our September cruise. So glad they offer the luggage service to the ship. Does anyone know if the opposite is true? Can I find someone at the port that takes bags TO PP? Hubby is on oxygen and that pretty much leaves me to handle luggage. I know the hotel is right there, but assistance would be great. Thanks

@Wink87 why don't you give Pan Pacific a call and ask if it's possible to summon a bellman to the elevators when you debark?  The elevators come up from the debarkation area into the hotel.  I have called the hotel directly a couple times to ask questions and they were always helpful.  Please let us know if you get an answer about assistance from any source as I may need the same.  

~Nancy

5 hours ago, oakridger said:

@Wink87 why don't you give Pan Pacific a call and ask if it's possible to summon a bellman to the elevators when you debark?  The elevators come up from the debarkation area into the hotel.  I have called the hotel directly a couple times to ask questions and they were always helpful.  Please let us know if you get an answer about assistance from any source as I may need the same.  

~Nancy

Thank you for this info Nancy. I will let you know how it goes.