Scenic areas walking distance from Kings's Wharf?

joyandjerry

In a few weeks, we are docking overnight in King's Wharf. The island tour excursion is over late afternoon. We are avid walkers, and was wondering if there are any scenic trails, gardens, beaches etc. that are walkable from the port. It seems like everything closes at five, and we will still have a lot of daylight left. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

8 minutes ago, joyandjerry said:

Meant to add could I perhaps take a ferry or bus to another location? Of course, we would need for them to run into late evening to get back to the ship. Thanks! Best, Joy

When you say late afternoon how late? The Dockyard is a fort and walkable but it is not walkable from there to other places. There are ferries and buses to other locations but how late depends on the day of the week. From  St. George they don't run that late.. From Hamilton it is 8:30 back on weekdays except Wednesdays when there is Harbour Nights and they add a 9 and 10:30pm ferry.

We tried to walk along the road out of the Dockyard area one time, and quickly changed our minds. Narrow and hazardous.  After that we either spent our time at the Dockyard, or took a ferry or bus to a destination.  We've had an interest in the Railway Trail, but I'm not sure how easily one can get there.

Thanks so much for the replies! I was thing of perhaps a ferry to Hamilton, but did want to get dinner on the ship. Am rather peeved that the original trip to Bermuda in 2020 was to be two overnights, and after three cancellations was altered. We are getting $600 OBC, so I did not want to lose that. Then they moved up our departure time the next day from afternoon to morning, and I was hoping to do something that day, which does not seem likely now.

If you take the bus and get off at Somerset Bridge (the smallest drawbridge in the world!) you can find an entrance to the Railway Trail that takes you past Scaur Hill Fort and ends up near the police station in Somerset Village.  It is a nice, mostly shaded trail that we enjoyed several years back.  I remember it ended in a residential area east of the police station and a very nice lady stopped in her car to help us find our way back to the main road.  She even offered to drive us!  Only in Bermuda....

I highly recommend the National Museum of Bermuda, right there at the dockyard.

https://nmb.bm/

Yes, you need to pay ($15?) to enter, but there are inside exhibits and dolphins, yes dolphins.  To your desire to walk, you can spend a good portion of the afternoon (or morning) walking the paths that transverse the grounds, visiting the cannon overlooks and enjoying the views of the stunning waters (and nearby cruise ships too!).

2 hours ago, JGmf said:

I highly recommend the National Museum of Bermuda, right there at the dockyard.

https://nmb.bm/

Yes, you need to pay ($15?) to enter, but there are inside exhibits and dolphins, yes dolphins.  To your desire to walk, you can spend a good portion of the afternoon (or morning) walking the paths that transverse the grounds, visiting the cannon overlooks and enjoying the views of the stunning waters (and nearby cruise ships too!).

I noted that was a highly recommended place I am sure would be enjoyable, but it closes at 5:00.

38 minutes ago, chong67 said:

My first time to Bermuda.  Its impossible to walk from the Yard to downtown Hamilton?

That would be a 15 mile walk with hardly any sidewalks. You would not want to walk. The ferry runs from the Dockyard and takes 30 minutes. There are also two bus routes. Those take about an hour. Some advocate taking the bus as a way to see Bermuda. 

• Like 2

We always visit the fort it use to cost 11.00 not sure now. It is a pleasant walk throughout and the visit to the Admirals house is always nice. We have sat on the veranda and watched a storm roll in a few times 😁. Very pleasant way to spend a few hours in the morning before we sail back to Boston on NCL.

19 minutes ago, latebloomer56 said:

We always visit the fort it use to cost 11.00 not sure now. It is a pleasant walk throughout and the visit to the Admirals house is always nice. We have sat on the veranda and watched a storm roll in a few times 😁. Very pleasant way to spend a few hours in the morning before we sail back to Boston on NCL.

We love forts! But we are leaving 11:00, so on board time will be early. It probably doesn't open until 9:00 or 10:00.

35 minutes ago, joyandjerry said:

We love forts! But we are leaving 11:00, so on board time will be early. It probably doesn't open until 9:00 or 10:00.

You will be docked inside the fort. The Royal Naval Dockyard is is a fort.The shops don't open until 10:00 but you have time to walk around the Dockyard. The Dockyard itself does not ever close.There is a  museum that opens at 9:00 so you could do a short visit to the museum and grounds. The museum is a short walk from your berth. 

8 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

You will be docked inside the fort. The Royal Naval Dockyard is is a fort.The shops don't open until 10:00 but you have time to walk around the Dockyard. The Dockyard itself does not ever close.There is a  museum that opens at 9:00 so you could do a short visit to the museum and grounds. The museum is a short walk from your berth. 

Oh, thank you, Charles! I realize that the RND is a fort, but not the Dockyard did not close. I wondered if we could wander around there in the AM. Our interest is much more in the history, not shopping.

2 hours ago, joyandjerry said:

Oh, thank you, Charles! I realize that the RND is a fort, but not the Dockyard did not close. I wondered if we could wander around there in the AM. Our interest is much more in the history, not shopping.

I think two different thigs are being referred to as a "fort". Charles is using "fort" to mean the entire Royal Naval Dockyard Grounds and yes, you can walk around the Dockyard 24 hours a day, but that doesn't mean buildings are open 24 hours a day.

It sounds like@latebloomer56is using "fort" to mean the area in which the National Museum of Bermuda is contained. That is open from 9 am to 5 pm . Adult admission is $15 per person, seniors over 65 $12 pp and children under 16 free.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

I think two different thigs are being referred to as a "fort". Charles is using "fort" to mean the entire Royal Naval Dockyard Grounds and yes, you can walk around the Dockyard 24 hours a day, but that doesn't mean buildings are open 24 hours a day.

It sounds like@latebloomer56is using "fort" to mean the area in which the National Museum of Bermuda is contained. That is open from 9 am to 5 pm . Adult admission is $15 per person, seniors over 65 $12 pp and children under 16 free.

15 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

That would be a 15 mile walk with hardly any sidewalks. You would not want to walk.

For the Bermuda newbie: picture yourself walking on roads where they drive on the UK (left) side of the road with little or no shoulder and an abundance of blind turns.  Very dangerous for pedestrians. 

Geez, taking the bus there is sometimes like being on a paid VR ride with a lot of near-misses with other cars and especially passing scooters.

21 minutes ago, JGmf said:

For the Bermuda newbie: picture yourself walking on roads where they drive on the UK (left) side of the road with little or no shoulder and an abundance of blind turns.  Very dangerous for pedestrians. 

Geez, taking the bus there is sometimes like being on a paid VR ride with a lot of near-misses with other cars and especially passing scooters.

One time I missed my bus stop and walked back one stop. I figured only one stop. Yikes. Never again. With those blind turns vehicles appeared out of nowhere and I had to walk in the road as there was zero shoulder. Not even grass or dirt. Really scary. 

Edited by Charles4515

On 5/16/2022 at 7:36 PM, joyandjerry said:

Charles, that is valuable info. Thanks!

My daughter and I had a blast atFun Golf. Neither of us are golfers. It has a pretty lively bar area (we're not drinkers either, but had fun), and it's a great spot to watch sunset. 

My ship comes in at 3 PM.  I want to go to Hamilton around 6:30 PM, but the ferry and bus are closed after 6:30 PM on Sunday. What's the cheapest way to go there and back around midnight?  Thanks.