Gary Barlow performing onboard Iona - G236, G237

jaydee6969

Moments magazine also has a list of captains and the boats they are driving for the rest of this year. Not quite the fuller senior crew list they used to publish but a good move. In my opinion. We have Alan Hawkins on our Ventura cruise in October. A new name to me.

• Like 1

I remember a big debate about this on social media recently, as these dates are right in the middle of his tour. He does have a couple of free days on the schedule so it's possible he might fly in and out again, but it seems a bit hectic for him to do that. (I can see a blank of three days around the time of G236 and a few at the end of G237, not much else.) 

I think i'd be cautious about booking based on the fact that you're not guaranteed a ticket, but for those going anyway it's definitely something they might want to get excited about & keep an eye on. (If you like him) 

4 minutes ago, pete14 said:

Moments magazine also has a list of captains and the boats they are driving for the rest of this year. Not quite the fuller senior crew list they used to publish but a good move. In my opinion. We have Alan Hawkins on our Ventura cruise in October. A new name to me.

Sorry for the thread drift. I thought I was on the mega thread.

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, pete14 said:

I guess the problem is that the full lists often became out of date due to changes. Simon Love due as Captain on my Aurora cruise and I don't think I've sailed with him before either. I was hoping for Neil Turnbull but he is on Azura.

39 minutes ago, pete14 said:

Could be a descendant of Jim Hawkins, I would keep an eye out for a big guy with a wooden leg and a parrot, who might be on board as well.

1 minute ago, terrierjohn said:

Could be a descendant of Jim Hawkins, I would keep an eye out for a big guy with a wooden leg and a parrot, who might be on board as well.

You mean the subject of this thread that I mistakenly hijacked? Perhaps I should leave now 🥴

2 hours ago, davecttr said:

Gary Barlow - ignorance is bliss. I would not recognize him at the supermarket checkout or anywhere else for that matter 😁

As some may recall, we were looking forward to seeing him on out 2020 cancelled Iona cruise. Good entertainment and £25 to a children's charity. Unfortunately we are on G234, so will miss seeing him. At least the kids charity will not miss out. I'm sure he will be gutted that you won't recognise him in Tesco. Perhaps do a Scilly isle cruise, he may be on Tresco.🤣

2 hours ago, davecttr said:

Gary Barlow - ignorance is bliss. I would not recognize him at the supermarket checkout or anywhere else for that matter 😁

To be fair, he probably wouldn't recognise you either...😉😀

• Haha 5

7 hours ago, pete14 said:

I'm sure they will all be delighted to hear that they are skippering BOATS, one day they may make it to become a SHIPS captian  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/19/2022 at 11:20 PM, davecttr said:

Obviously I must occupy a different universe to the rest of you 

I had a think about this. No Gary on our Iona cruise, so we rebooked a to go few days earlier for Britannia..Take that P&O...oops, just remembered, Olly Smith was on the Iona cruise that we cancelled...take that Zap..oh well. Isn't Olly Smith that bloke from one of the singing contests, does some TV presenting?.🤣

1 minute ago, zap99 said:

I had a think about this. No Gary on our Iona cruise, so we rebooked a to go few days earlier for Britannia..Take that P&O...oops, just remembered, Olly Smith was on the Iona cruise that we cancelled...take that Zap..oh well. Isn't Olly Smith that bloke from one of the singing contests, does some TV presenting?.🤣

Ha ha. Olly Smith is the wine guy from Saturday Kitchen (and watching him now).

You may be thinking of singer Olly Murs who won XFactor….🤣🤣🤣

5 minutes ago, Angel57 said:

Ha ha. Olly Smith is the wine guy from Saturday Kitchen (and watching him now).

You may be thinking of singer Olly Murs who won XFactor….🤣🤣🤣

I thought the wine Guy was Bruno Muir's. I'm watching James Martin as I don't like Ken Hommm. Was James Martin's dad Dean Martin,?.

• Haha 1

Just had an email from P&O.

You can pay £10 per person onboard to buy a raffle ticket to try and win a seat at one of his 2 shows.  Proceeds going to charity.

They also point out that Gary will not be travelling with the ship.

3 hours ago, jaydee6969 said:

Just had an email from P&O.

You can pay £10 per person onboard to buy a raffle ticket to try and win a seat at one of his 2 shows.  Proceeds going to charity.

They also point out that Gary will not be travelling with the ship.

If Iona runs true to current form and misses ports, then it's highly likely Gary might not make it on board.😁

• Haha 3

21 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

If Iona runs true to current form and misses ports, then it's highly likely Gary might not make it on board.😁

Or he may be stuck on board for a few more days.....I need to get off. Have a little patience Gary.

• Haha 4

On 5/19/2022 at 12:53 PM, jaydee6969 said:

I hadn't seen anything until today in the new Moments magazine, it appears Gary Barlow will be performing onboard Iona on cruises G236 and G237.  £25 for tickets, with seats raffled, and proceeds to charity.

https://www.pocruises.com/garybarlow

Hope he doesn't hang about as long as Ken.

• Haha 1

I can see complaints by passengers that they to pay but not guaranteed  a ticket!   

They could put him in the Limelight and Gary could give his fee to the charity!

Edited by P&O SUE

4 minutes ago, P&O SUE said:

I can see complaints by passengers that they to pay but not guaranteed  a ticket!   

They could put him in the Limelight and Gary could give his fee to the charity!

But the limited capacity of Limelight means fewer people would get to see him. Personally, I think that spending £10 for the chance of a ticket gives a high probability that they will be successful. I would be interested to find out after the event how many people had no interest in paying to see him. Don’t forget, apart from new bookings, nobody booked the cruise expecting Gary Barlow to be performing so the demand may not be so great.