Question about shore excursions in Ephesus.

Sleep7

🙋‍♀️Hello!

We are sailing on the Sky at the end of June from Athens to Istanbul.

I'm deciding whether to take the included tour (A Gentle Journey in the Ancient World) or one of these paid ones (Wonders of the Ancient World or Ancient Ephesus.)  I would like to see all the "big sights" as we have never been to Ephesus before.

Does anyone have any opinions on this?

Mobility isn't an issue.. not yet anyways! lol.

Thanks so much in advance.

Here are the descriptions.

A GENTLE JOURNEY

Discover Ephesus at a gentle pace, with a focus on the city’s highlights around the lower gate. Though you will still walk over uneven ground, this tour includes less walking than our Ancient Ephesus tour. One of the best-preserved cities of antiquity in the world, Ephesus was a thriving port along the Cayster River until the waterway silted over and crumbled its economy. Join your guide on a stroll through this once-powerful metropolis. Among other remarkably preserved sites, you will visit a gymnasium, one of the educational institutions of the ancient world; the massive Great Theater, built for 25,000 spectators; and the magnificent Library of Celsus. Restored about 50 years ago, its facade stands as one of the finest examples of a Roman public building, and its interior once stored 12,000 scrolls. There will be time to explore the many craft stalls before returning to your ship.

WONDERS OF THE ANCIENT WORLD

Witness one of Turkey’s great archaeological finds and see many of the finest artifacts of Ephesus. Journey to the edge of Selçuk, where the great Temple of Artemis once stood. One of the Seven Wonders of the Ancient World, it resembled the famed Parthenon of Athens with its many marble columns. Imagine its former glory with the help of your guide. You will walk to the remains of the Byzantine Basilica of St. John, said to have been built over the burial site of St. John the Apostle, and the impressive 14th-century İsa Bey Mosque. At the Ephesus Archaeological Museum, you can explore some of the ancient city’s relics, including excellent examples of Roman sculpture. The museum was established after an export ban was imposed in the early 20th century to stop the flow of artifacts to the British Museum.

ANCIENT EPHESUS

Explore one of the best-preserved cities of antiquity in the world as you walk the length of ancient Kuretes Street. Stroll from Ephesus’s upper gate to its lower gate. Join your guide on a scenic drive through the stunning countryside of Selçuk to the Magnesian Gate, the ancient city entrance at the top of Kuretes Street. Then follow a gently descending route through one of the Roman Empire’s most powerful outposts. Navigate some steps along the way, passing the finely crafted 2nd-century Temple of Hadrian and the spectacular Great Theater, able to host 25,000 spectators. Marvel at the most recognizable building in the city, the Library of Celsus, built to house 12,000 scrolls. Its colonnaded facade is an outstanding example of a typical Roman public building. You will have free time to browse the craft stalls at the lower gate before returning to your ship.

I would vote for Ancient Ephesus. You will see all of the "big" sites of the reconstructed city. (Wonders of the Ancient World doesn't sound like it actually goes to the ancient city?) We did this tour a number of years ago with a private guide. The description "gently descending route" is true. The only "uphill" is if you want to climb up at the theater, which is at the end of the tour, right before the craft stalls.  

• Like 2

Oh thanks so much for the great advice NanciEA!

Now I have to decide whether to take the morning tour or the afternoon tour.

Is there a town to walk around near the ship to see in the afternoon if we take the morning tour?

Sometimes it's nice take the afternoon slot and have a lazy morning..

However the afternoon tour gets back at 3:45 and the ship sails at 6pm so that wouldn't leave too much time to walk around the town after we get back and have a bite to eat.

Thanks again for your help.

I would pick 
Wonders of the Ancient World to get the full experience of Ephesus.

Walking from the upper to lower part of the site( plus the terrace Houses) was how I did it a number of years ago. We ended  up at the library of Celsius. It is an awesome site.

On my second visit , we hired a private guide.  We  went to Selcuk ,did the tour of the church, saw the two columns still standing for Temple of Artemis. The museum was closed for renovations when we were there, so we went to the House of Mary on this private tour. I wished I could have explored the museum because it contains the many of the artifacts they found at Ephesus itself. Ephesus was a very wealthy city.  

It is the guides who make this tour so enjoyable. In Turkey ,all guides need to be certified by the Turkish government and have taken classes in history of these sites they are guiding you. 

Edited by Azulann
  • Like 1

Wonders takes you to the offsite museum. Not fantastic but worth seeing. If not interested, take Ancient tour.
Plenty of opportunities for cat photos. Sadly St Paul failed to realized that the city's denizens could not read his Letters to the Ephesians.

• Haha 1

Go as early in the day as you can as it will be very hot then.  We got off the ship this morning in Venice cruising from Istanbul.  We were only chilly at Troy due to the wind.  The sun can really bake you at Ephesus and for that reason walking from the upper to lower gate would be preferred.  Amazing sights at all stops

17 minutes ago, Azulann said:

I would pick 
Wonders of the Ancient World to get the full experience of Ephesus.

Walking from the upper to lower part of the site( plus the terrace Houses) was how I did it a number of years ago. We ended  up at the library of Celsius. It is an awesome site.

On my second visit , we hired a private guide.  We  went to Selcuk ,did the tour of the church, saw the two columns still standing for Temple of Artemis. The museum was closed for renovations when we were there, so we went to the House of Mary on this private tour. I wished I could have explored the museum because it contains the many of the artifacts they found at Ephesus itself. Ephesus was a very wealthy city.  

It is the guides who make this tour so enjoyable. In Turkey ,all guides need to be certified by the Turkish government and have taken classes in history of these sites they are guiding you. 

Hi Azulann! Thanks for the advice.  It's suppose it's a positive and negative if the Wonders tour (as per Phil) goes to an offsite museum too.. great if it's very hot out to get into AC but I think I would rather walk around a town and shop a bit instead of a museum.  Not sure though. 

Truly appreciate your input.😃

10 minutes ago, philw1776 said:

Wonders takes you to the offsite museum. Not fantastic but worth seeing. If not interested, take Ancient tour.
Plenty of opportunities for cat photos. Sadly St Paul failed to realized that the city's denizens could not read his Letters to the Ephesians.

Thanks Phil!  I didn't realize the Wonders tour takes you to a museum.. I'm so glad you told me that.

I think that helped me make up my mind.😃

9 minutes ago, PasadenaDave said:

Go as early in the day as you can as it will be very hot then.  We got off the ship this morning in Venice cruising from Istanbul.  We were only chilly at Troy due to the wind.  The sun can really bake you at Ephesus and for that reason walking from the upper to lower gate would be preferred.  Amazing sights at all stops

Thanks Dave! That's a good point about the afternoon heat.. I didn't consider that.

Guess a leisurely morning will just have to wait for another day.😃

Just now, TERRIER1 said:

I noticed that none of these tours take you to the Terrace Houses within Ephesus. The Terrace Houses were a highlight. They cost extra. You might want to find a private guide.

Hi Terrier! Thanks for your thoughts.. I have some OBC that I plan to use for tours so I am happy to just book the Viking offered ones. Thanks for your advice though.😃

Great advice so far. Here's my take on it.

We went over 20 years ago (on the now defunct Renaissance cruise line) and Ephesus was amazing; it was the first time my husband had ever seen Roman ruins.  I wish I had known more then about working with private guides.  Ephesus is  one of those places, like the Acropolis or the Great Wall of China,  that you might never get back to, so don't hold back.  Therefore, my advice as follows:

• If it is in your comfort zone, try for a private tour of the places you are most interested in seeing. You'll see more with less waiting around for others
  • If you go with a Viking tour, go with one of the optional tours, whichever one suits your interests best.

As for me, the more I read about this itinerary, the more I realize that it is time for a "do over."

Hi Sleep 7,

We visited Ephesus 15 years ago and it is just magnificent. We will be visiting again the week after next off of the Azamara Journey and have booked a private tour in a car (Kusadasi port pick up) for 2 adults with an English speaking guide through Viator.com (we have used them before in Europe, Central America, India and Sri lanka) and they proved reliable. You can book on-line in USD or GBP and they allow cancellations. You can make arrangements with the guide to suit yourselves and the tours can finish early if you are fatigued. 

Ephesus is not to be missed. The main street is uneven and made of shiny large stones and is downhill from the main gate. The walk down is one of the main things which I remember. Apart from the Celsus Library and the The Roman Villas have beautiful wall paintings

As mentioned before Ephesus is very hot and best visited in the morning. The Celsus library, the Theatre are both awe inspiring. One piece of advice, try and avoid the carpet factory as most of the tours take you there, whether you want to go or not.

Alan & Helen from Scotland

• Like 1

We're planning on taking the "Homes of the Ancient Roman Elites", which sounds like it covers the Terrace Houses, in the morning and taking the "Gentle Journey into the Ancient World" included tour in the afternoon.  I'm hoping we cover most of the major sites between the two.

2 hours ago, jamcl said:

One piece of advice, try and avoid the carpet factory as most of the tours take you there, whether you want to go or not.

Good idea.......unless your traveling companion really, really wants to buy a rug. 😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

Great advice so far. Here's my take on it.

We went over 20 years ago (on the now defunct Renaissance cruise line) and Ephesus was amazing; it was the first time my husband had ever seen Roman ruins.  I wish I had known more then about working with private guides.  Ephesus is  one of those places, like the Acropolis or the Great Wall of China,  that you might never get back to, so don't hold back.  Therefore, my advice as follows:

• If it is in your comfort zone, try for a private tour of the places you are most interested in seeing. You'll see more with less waiting around for others
  • If you go with a Viking tour, go with one of the optional tours, whichever one suits your interests best.

As for me, the more I read about this itinerary, the more I realize that it is time for a "do over."

😃Hi Peregrina!

How nice that it brings back such nice memories for you.

Yes.. sounds like it's time for an Ephesus "do over."

Your description comparing it to the Great Wall or the Acropolis is making me extra excited to see it for the first time.

Thanks!

2 hours ago, jamcl said:

Hi Sleep 7,

We visited Ephesus 15 years ago and it is just magnificent. We will be visiting again the week after next off of the Azamara Journey and have booked a private tour in a car (Kusadasi port pick up) for 2 adults with an English speaking guide through Viator.com (we have used them before in Europe, Central America, India and Sri lanka) and they proved reliable. You can book on-line in USD or GBP and they allow cancellations. You can make arrangements with the guide to suit yourselves and the tours can finish early if you are fatigued. 

Ephesus is not to be missed. The main street is uneven and made of shiny large stones and is downhill from the main gate. The walk down is one of the main things which I remember. Apart from the Celsus Library and the The Roman Villas have beautiful wall paintings

As mentioned before Ephesus is very hot and best visited in the morning. The Celsus library, the Theatre are both awe inspiring. One piece of advice, try and avoid the carpet factory as most of the tours take you there, whether you want to go or not.

Alan & Helen from Scotland

😃Hi Alan and Helen!

Your description of "not to be missed" is wonderful.. can't wait to visit.

How exciting that you are going back so soon and on Azamara.  We have taken many Azamara Med cruises in the past 12 years and have loved each and every one.

Enjoy every moment!! Lucky you!!

55 minutes ago, hbtraveler said:

We're planning on taking the "Homes of the Ancient Roman Elites", which sounds like it covers the Terrace Houses, in the morning and taking the "Gentle Journey into the Ancient World" included tour in the afternoon.  I'm hoping we cover most of the major sites between the two.

😃Hi HBtraveler!

I did look into the tour that you are taking and how nice that you will get to see the Terrace houses.  I will look into that one again.

And Wow! An AM and PM tour double header.. you will see it all! Perfect!

See ya on board!! 5 weeks!

• Like 2